AuthorTopic: A Green Guy.  (Read 4837 times)

Offline theguy

• O god wat?!
    • View Profile

A Green Guy.

on: July 18, 2009, 08:02:50 pm
Current version:

Original version:

Pixeljoint Gallery

I got crits from Hatch and Cure.

Anymore crits for me?

Awww crap I put this in the wrong forum :/ sorry. Fixed - Panda
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:03:35 pm by Panda »

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Re: A Green Guy.

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:44:10 am
I know you probably aren't going for a perfect anatomy, and that's perfectly fine.
The problem is that you have consistency issues with this imaginary anatomy of your character.

For instance, there's a big problem with the character's left arm, specially his shoulder).

Also, perspective wise the upper and bottom part of the body don't seem to match up; that wouldn't be a problem either of course since
im aware the body can twist a bit, but in this case, that's the problem, there doesn't appear to be any sign of "twisting".

The selective outline in my opinion isnt so hot in some parts either (like you've guessed it, his left arm for instance).

The shading on some parts seems pretty nice, but on others it translates a bit like "messy", i would work on that too.

Im digging the pallette, and the grin on his face works for me...(the eyes don't match up for me tho).

Keep it up  :y:

Offline theguy

• O god wat?!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:57:23 pm
I think I've fixed the sel-out problems, the shoulder anatomy problems and the shading messiness. But I've no idea how to fix the eyes or the body position, to me they look fine. Could you perhaps give me an example as to why there is this problem and how to fix it?

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:02:48 am
It appears you want to give a slight turn in the view for the character. That's fine. The problem is you are trying to foreshorten the further part of him, but the perspective as a whole is not deep enough to warrant foreshortening. So his right arm looks short, where it should be the same length as his left arm unless there was some serious depth going on in the image, which at this point there really isn't (and shouldn't be unless it's an extreme angle/perspective). Also, his right shoulder appears to be very dominant with the deltoid muscles, making him look like he's doing an awkward shrug of the right shoulder. Bicep seems a little big on the right side as well.

If you want to give it that little bit of depth, the right shoulder needs to be moved back further. There's conflicting perspective/anatomy problems, even if it is exagerrated anatomy if you want it to look believable and not just out of whack, you'll need to fix this issue. The legs look fairly fine in their size/shape. The right arm really needs to be lengthened a bit to the same length as the left arm.

Offline theguy

• O god wat?!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:13:23 pm

I prefer the leg this way, but I'm not sure if I have made it look worse. Anywho, better?

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:17:24 pm
It has basically the same problems i mentioned in my first post and Joel re-afirmed.

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:35:36 pm
It's a slight improvement but you've still got those core issues which will continue to throw it off whatever you do - look at how his shoulders/collar bone are positioned in relation to his chest and torso.

See how his right shoulder moves back behind his chest? This is more toward what you want. As for the vertical position on his shoulders in that pic, his left arm is dropped and right arm moved up by his hand placed on the waistband of his jeans, so it's not quite as relevant for the uneven shoulder heights. But for the foreshortening, or not even really foreshortening, just perspective and slight depth/angle, this is what you should be aiming for.

Your green guy's left pec looks stretched from center chest over to his side leading toward the shoulder, fairly correctly, but the right pec is squeezed up to half the size going to a shoulder which is like hunched over and out infront of the body.

Offline -Marc-

• Dear Knuckles, please brush your teeth.
    • View Profile
    • profile at stop motion magic

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 05:54:27 pm
It looks a bit like his neck is right under his jaw, with little/no support for the back of his head.

Offline theguy

• O god wat?!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:03:38 pm
I cpletely redid the arm, added some extra muscle around his shoulders and neck, made more shadow underneath his chin and fleshed out the neck a bit more at the back so his head seems more supported, and completely redid the collar bone. I've changed his left (our right) pec a bit. I'm really hoping this is better  :blind:

Also got rid of the signature because of what people said on Pixeljoint.