AuthorTopic: [WIP] Jewels and game interface  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

[WIP] Jewels and game interface

on: August 20, 2009, 08:52:24 am
Hello everyone. I've been pixelling some graphics for a freeware BeJeweled clone. The game will eventually run in full screen 320x256 in 32 colours, but will also run in a window on the desktop. I've pixelled seven different jewels so far, but I need one more to finish the set. I'm thinking maybe something spherical, but if anyone can suggest an eighth jewel I'd appreciate it. It will probably end up using the beige/tan looking colours, or it could be a multi-coloured jewel too. I will have to animate each one as well, but I'm thinking of taking the easy way out and just adding a sparkle to the edges, rather than try and animate light shining through and reflecting off of the facets of the stones as they do in BeJeweled.

As for the interface itself, I got kind of lost at where to go with it. The windowed interface leaves me little room to play with design, because it's basically a base for other objects to go on top of, and the objects cover most parts of the window at some stage. Many of the buttons, which include options like "New Game" "Time Trial" "Practice" "Brick Hunt" "Back" "Next" all appear inside the black playing area before the game starts, while other elements are plotted over to the side of the play area, like the score and a few in-game buttons. I've tried to go for a glossy look to the buttons, which don't look too bad when they're on the black screen, but I don't really know how to make them fit in with the main "skin". I don't plan on keeping it looking so plain, but I'm also out of ideas as to how to make a nice looking interface to surround these elements and keep it consistent.

Another thing I may change is the look of the buttons. I don't think they need the extra "light" button next to them, what do you guys think? Each button has a normal and pressed state, so I was going to maybe make that round button next to the text button light up when it's clicked.

Here's where I'm at so far, I'll post again when I've made some progress. I would really appreciate any helpful critique, though.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Jewels and game interface

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:09 am
You already have quite a few roundish-pieces, maybe another triangular piece for readability?

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:32:06 am
You're right about that, I'll have a go at something more triangular, thanks.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:10:23 pm
I know at this point you'd prefer hearing something about the interface, but I've only got a few things to say about the jewels:
 * dithering isn't really suitable to depict shiny, smooth surfaces like those of jewels;
 * the bottom-right corner of the purple jewel suffers from flatness / dimensional clash due to bad shading;
 * maybe edges should be more reflective than the connected surface(s) (f.ex. the green one is OK in this respect, but the purple and the red ones aren't);
 * the red jewel lighting isn't consistent with the rest;
 * unless it's just my ignorance, lighting in general doesn't really convince me.

All of the above, IMHO.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:55:36 am
I have a feeling that the reason it seems like the roundish pieces are more overwhelming is because the two triangular types use the two darkest colours. If that makes sense  :crazy:

Also, I assume that the empty black box'll contain the score? If so, maybe give a preview of the font 'n' stuff :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:39:29 am by Jeremy »

Offline Hibernated

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:24:48 pm
Shape-wise you could do a star (or something with convex corners on it) or a pentagon.

A four pointed star would be easily identifiable against the other shapes for example.

You could put something with low saturation and either very dark or very light in the background behind the jewels. A metal wall, computer system or mancala board type thing maybe. Anything with jewels makes me think egyptain actually. No idea why  :lol: I don't know what your theme is going to be, but hey - just suggestions :p

Offline BlackTerror

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:48:54 am
Quote from: saimo
* dithering isn't really suitable
This. Dithering is good for depicting blurry, fuzzy, or textured objects, not cut minerals. Your internal outlines especially are getting lost in the overwhelming dithering.

The monochrome is also underwhelming; I'd try a secondary color highlight to help break up monotony.