AuthorTopic: Sprites Walk cycle WIP  (Read 3393 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Sprites Walk cycle WIP

on: July 15, 2009, 01:49:15 pm
Ok, so pixeling is something I love to do but when it comes down to making the pixel art come to life I have some problems approaching the animations. Can anyone help me improve the animations of these sprites that I'll be using for a project?

I'm going to post the current south walk cycle (currently I've begun a walk cycle with legs only and will add arms later), along with the base character that it is referenced from. The reference was self-pixeled.

Currently this is a 4 frame walk cycle but I would appreciate any input as far as increasing the frame count to 6~ 8. There are no real limitations on the amount of frames; however I don't have all of the technical know-how to make the most of so many (that's part of what I'd like to glean from this topic).
For animations I usually use photoshop; however I've started using Gif movie gear and its pretty great too.
~~~~~~

[WIP]

[Reference]

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Re: Sprites Walk cycle WIP

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:22:10 pm
just an update so far.
C&C welcome on both the animation and sprite (mostly animation though).

Offline Lendrick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:51:14 pm
Kind of looks like he's shrugging his shoulders as he steps.  The head is bobbing at the correct time, but when he puts his foot down, he should be a little shorter, not taller.  In those frames, the shoulders and armpits should be a pixel lower, not a pixel higher.

Bart

Free, legal art and audio for free/open source game projects.

Offline misterj

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:14:54 pm
I understand what you're going for with the head moving left and right on each frame, but it looks too exaggerated compared to the much more calm motion of the rest of his body. Other than that, I think you're on a very good path to having it "perfected". Keep it up!

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:25:30 pm

how's this one?