AuthorTopic: [WIP] Mars combat vehicles  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Durnus

• View Profile

[WIP] Mars combat vehicles

on: July 31, 2009, 11:02:45 pm
I've been cycling through ideas for a game to make for the iPhone, when I thought of this one, which happens to deal with adventure-based territory conflict on Mars. I thought it showed some promise. I miscalculated that this would require art :-\. I don't think this idea is quite good enough to pay for my art to be well-made (and my artist friend never gets back to me on these little ideas) so I whipped out photoshop, thought up a few colors to start with, and drew some stuff.

C&C wanted and greatly appreciated.

They look so bland with the art of the... uh... forum software around them.

First post!  ;D

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: [WIP] Mars combat vehicles

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 12:26:01 am
I'm doing something on Mars too! :P

I think you should work more on the volume of your vehicles/units. They're too flat now. I made a small edit, to show you:

The turret hasen't really got a defined shape at the moment, so to it's right you will see the basic shape, without the detailing.
Is it a half dome shape, or something with sharp corners? That's up to you, but you should make that more clear with the right shading.

And I also put your 'truck' against a martian colored environment. That's what I learned here  ;)
See how the orange color of the vehicle doesn't make it stand out against the background? Something to keep an eye on. (Hell, for all I know your Mars could be covered with pink and purple plants  ;) )

Hope this helps a bit and good luck!

-fellow martian freak-

Offline Durnus

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Mars combat vehicles

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:34:21 pm

I decided to completely redo them, focusing more on physical form than the... well, whatever I was thinking before.  ;D I also added outlines, because I couldn't really find another (easy) way to separate my stuff from the background with my palette. I haven't drawn my truck-thing again yet; I don't really know what it's supposed to look like anyway.

Thanks for the tips. I used those same colors you had for the Mars background (very cool robots, by the way :)), and I'll probably use them until I make a background of my own. :P

They definitely look like plastic now. I'm thinking on adding some dust, but I'd like people's C&C on this first--to make sure I'm not missing something stupidly obscene.