AuthorTopic: Trying to improve  (Read 10902 times)

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Trying to improve

on: July 14, 2009, 12:55:15 am
Lately i am trying to make pixel art but i cant really get how to draw a face or how the pixel thing work,
here some that i made this far:

i want to make some pixel characters spirits but they aren't complete i cant pixel well enough to finish them can some one help
me to learn to pixel i watch tutorials but all people do on them that's draw them self nothing that they explained so far onle drawing
this way i cant figure how to pixel right for example i didn't pixel everything well in thous 3 pics can some one help me learn to pixel please?

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: Trying to improve

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:52:05 pm
work on smaller pieces until you get it, then work on bigger
Be Like no other

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:23:25 pm
Thanks for the advise and the encouragement, i made another one here

i still think i made the legs impossible to move with i hope the pixels are put good this time :-\
how to draw a humans face by the way in pixel i mean like chibi human face for a game?   

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:24:12 pm
don't save as .jpg.

Save as .png
Don't save as .gif if you're using Paint, otherwise it's ok :D

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:31:48 pm

Added background to it  ;D

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:35:20 pm
Still JPGed. Photobucket will automatically convert bmps to jpgs if that's the format you're uploading them with.

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:59:09 am
i upload it when its bitmap mauby when i upload it like that it turns jpg.
okay ill upload 1 .png then again it doesn't improve my pixel drawing skills does it?

is this any better?

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:42:40 am

Anatomy, dither, AA, proper coloring and shading

take a look at some references, bodies that have like the stance you want to get, works, and such stuff.
Be Like no other

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:34 pm
do you have a link, i didn't understand where the sentence begin somewhere in the first line i think and where to tape it too
please can u give a link?

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:13:13 pm
Oh, well i know Anatomy since i draw but with pixels its different my main problems are making a line for the body of the spirit that im going to draw this is what im trying to draw eventually
<--an char set
<--and a battle spirit wish i need to draw all hes movements like running slashing getting hit and so on
main point, i don't know how to pixel the body lines and how to color it and especially i cant pixel their hair well and by the way those i didn't draw my self, their from RPG maker community their dont belong to me their examples.
my problems in exactly drawing them is:
-always when i make the body it goes wrong like the pixel lines are not shading the spirit as i want it to,
problems in coloring
-i don't know where to put the lighter point on the hair the body and and pretty much everything
can someone explain me how it is that you decide where the light point is and once you put it it looks smoothly it doesn't to me no matter how much times i try, help please im tierd of all the mistakes that completely ruin my char and the battle spirits  :'(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:14:44 pm by Archerywtf »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:13 pm
Your character is holding a lightsaber or some saber blade weapon. I will try and find appropriate references. ;)

Reverse the lighting here.

http://th01.deviantart.com/fs39/300W/i/2008/364/e/2/Old_Republic_Jedi_Knight_by_NegroSaki.jpg

The opposite of your pose
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/images/features/friday/10_6_06/jedi3.jpg

As for further crit however. The feet should be the opposite of what they are facing now. The sword should be brought up a little higher. Check the shading on your little ball detail in the balcony's upper left hand corner. Shade the cape that way. Don't forget to add little specks of light from the sword and the moon. Espescially on his(?) armor pads. Though I must say I think you have the character's shadow correct. If your going simplistic or cartoony look, you should give the moon one color like your clouds. Or you could also give it extra detail, like craters and the like. I'm not going to comment on the hair, (it's being lit by the blue light in the back right?) except that the skin under the hair on the face should be darkened. You seemed to have a little trouble understanding what hsn said. I hope that's what he meant.

Edit: you posted before I did. I didn't see those other sprites.

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 08:49:38 am
Well thanks for advise ill keep practice for now till ill improve even a little  :P

Thx and if u want you can show me of some of yours pixeling for examples that can help
 thanks again  ;D

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 09:53:15 am
Here i hope this is some improvement

is this good enough to continue?  ???

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 02:56:38 pm

You saved as .jpg

Save as .png since, when you upload .bmp to photobucket, it automatically alters into to .jpg

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 05:59:53 pm
kk

then is it better?  ???

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 05:42:15 am
I am not the best person to learn from. I will put a link to my junk in my sig shortly since you asked to see it. I am not the best person to consult on anatomy and human figure and such, but I can critique, so here goes.

There is a striking similarity in all your pieces so far that I see. Look at the hip bag of this character. The hair of the werewolf(?) girl. The sword guys neck tie. (Does the white cape with the blue tie go around his waist? I thought those normally went on the neck. He is also facing the wrong way for that pose. Check some FE sprites or FF ones.) And your other sprites have one thing in common. You seem to finish one part, but get distracted or excited about trying another piece. (Laziness may also be a factor.) However, lets get on with this peice. Since it may apply to the others as well. I want you to have very dark thoughts. The main problem with this is that it lacks shadows in the areas where they are needed most. Your light source suggests (coming from behind the character) that it is coming soley from the sword. But that doesn't make sense. Check the shading onthe hair and left leg for example. If the sword was the primary light source, then the hair would reflect that as well. It needs to be darker more to the top left and some in the center. The lighting on the bag should also be switched around. You also need to fix the pose a bit. And perhaps center the chest to the hips. (Perhaps a bit more of the left arm mebe?) But all in all, there's too much light in all your pieces. You should add a darker shade in the areas that need it. I shouldn't have to say where. You lighting should let you know.

And another thing. Don't be afraid to continue because of what someone says or if you get no response. If you show interest in taking crit and at least try to change something around or for the better in your pixels, people will attempt to help you. And besides, you can always use the practice. Sorry if I sound a bit cryptic.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:45:55 am by xhunterko »

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 07:17:11 am
wow thanks that helps thanks to you i found a tutorials that might help here is one of many i found thanks
ill put the tutorial i found
http://forums.feplanet.net/index.php?showtopic=2037
Thanks with out you're suggestion i would have probably never found this  ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:30:22 am by Archerywtf »

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 12:21:27 pm
i cant see what i did wrong somehow something is wrong  ???

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 02:03:36 pm
Firstly, i think you use too many shades. Wrongly. Try to use only three or four shades per colour, at least =/

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 06:19:16 pm
okay, u mean 4-3 colors in every thing i pixel?   :-\

Offline fucbillgates

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 07:00:43 pm
shades per COLOR......................

So i think he means THREE shades per COLOR.

So like One color has three shades.

So like Each color is made up of DARK/MIDTONE/LIGHT shades.

that's 1 2 3

1.)DARK

2.)MIDTONE

3.)LIGHT

So in one picture you could have...

Blue
  -Dark
  -Midtone
  -Light
Red
  -Dark
  -Midtone
  -Light
Grey
  -Dark
  -Midtone
  -Light

Instead of

Blue
  -black
  -Ultra dark
  -less ultra dark
  -sorta not ultra dark
  -just normal dark
  -sorta not dark
  -sort dark midtone
  -midtone
  -sorta light midtone
  -sorta lighter midtone
  -dull dark highlight
  -lighter highlight
  -highlight color
  -Mega bright
  -white
Red
  -black
  -Ultra dark
  -less ultra dark
  -sorta not ultra dark
  -just normal dark
  -sorta not dark
  -sort dark midtone
  -midtone
  -sorta light midtone
  -sorta lighter midtone
  -dull dark highlight
  -lighter highlight
  -highlight color
  -Mega bright
  -white
Grey
  -black
  -Ultra dark
  -less ultra dark
  -sorta not ultra dark
  -just normal dark
  -sorta not dark
  -sort dark midtone
  -midtone
  -sorta light midtone
  -sorta lighter midtone
  -dull dark highlight
  -lighter highlight
  -highlight color
  -Mega bright
  -white

I think the idea JosephSeraph is trying to tell you is that you would lose almost no detail
from reducing your colors to only three shades or so
per color.
of course you can do whatever you want to do with
the colors but it is a good suggestion.

and you would have to ask JosephSeraph what he/she is talking about
to know if that's what he/she means for sure.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:11:44 pm by fucbillgates »

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 08:26:16 pm
okay 3 shades of same color i didn't get him correctly so i did 4 shades well anyway i should share my mistake here
<-max here is 4 shades, less is 2
ill make more and try to make them 3 shades to each color from now on thx btw  ;D
and JosephSeraph you mean that i should use 3 shades to each color right? as fucbillgates said  :-\
<---new one
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 03:38:48 am by Archerywtf »

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 08:49:53 pm
hmm, how do i exactly make him run, now i need to make this spirit move,fight,jump moving pics of him
how do i make the moving pics so they will be correct for example how do i know how much to rise hes foot or arm or all of him in
case i wanna make him laugh  ???
here is a failed example of my attempt

i really need help on this i have many attempts already none go right

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 04:19:09 am
There are a lot of posts where people have made some nice walking/running examples. Probably searching for something like "walking animation" in the search engine at the top of the page should find those posts. I remember seeing Ptoing post a couple times with good examples, so adding his name to the search might also help. It's also important to have an art program with good animation tools. If you're trying to animate in MSPaint, then you're almost guaranteed to fail.

Offline Archerywtf

• Reapers realm
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 03:55:54 pm
okay, what program do i need to do that, and in anyway i need to draw their movements or does the program make them move?  ???
and how do i fix this?

i jest keep playing with this but it still goes like this
http://picasion.com/pic12/93a6bd7d2bda46de8a7300824bbfb79f.gif
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:42:16 pm by Archerywtf »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 05:36:56 pm
No program will do any work for you, ever! You must create anything you wish to be created. Programs can speed up the creation process but can not create for you. Never think that you will be able to get out of work, it hurts you and your art.

That animation suffers from too little animation! I would suggest working with a silhouette and drawing every frame. You will not have satisfactory animation until you do this! One frame is not valuable enough to save parts of throughout the animation. Kill your darling!

Also, why don't the arms move? Have you seen a person walk without moving their arms? well, I have, but those people were mentally handicapped. If you're trying to animate someone walking, you need to look at someone walking. Trying to shoot without a gun is fruitless, metaphors and all that yadayada. Use reference.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 09:05:20 pm
okay, what program do i need to do that
Graphics Gale and Promotion are good. I haven't tried Promotion, but several excellent animators on this board have raved about it and I trust their judgement completely. There are also some programs listed in this thread that you can investigate.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0

Whenever you have a question, try to remember that it's probably already been asked before and do a search. There's a search engine at the top or if you insert "site:website name" into a google search, it will do a search inside of a specific website. For example, to search for animations programs, I would do a google search for "site:http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/ animation program" without the quotes.

and how do i fix this?
Did you search for those animation threads like I suggested? If you are truly interested in improving, you need to start actively searching out information. This board has been up since 2004/2005ish and has an incredible amount of information available.

Hmm, just tried using the search engine up top and it appears to be broken. Dang. I'm gonna send a message to the mods. For now, here's a thread with some animation advice.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5420.0

I found that thread by google searching this site for "running animation" It was the 4th link on the second page.

EDIT: Nevermind, the search engine isn't broken. It just doesn't work with Opera. OK, that's it. I forsake this browser. I cannot stand it any longer. Opera, you may have nice, clean, filterless graphics, but I can't put up with your #%@* any longer. Perma-banned.

EDIT #2: Before I delete my browser and install an old one, remember how I told you that Ptoing has posted a couple times with some nice walking animation examples. Well, if you go to Ptoing's profile, click on the link to view his last posts, and just at the 4th page on his post on Feb.03, 2009
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?action=profile;u=79;sa=showPosts;start=150
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:16:18 pm by crab2selout.png »