AuthorTopic: Begin in demoscene... FINISH UPDATE  (Read 36504 times)

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Begin in demoscene... FINISH UPDATE

on: February 19, 2006, 11:18:01 am
Well, i making a large demoscene logo for my web. But its very hard, and i decided begin making a small demoscene and with low colors. And after view the gfx of robotriot i use the CGA palette.

My first Demoscene:

For the moment is easy, i make a dither and use the font Arial for the text(Its easy for make the aa with this font)

C+C plz.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:59:37 pm by Matriax »

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Re: Demoscene in CGA

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 12:15:20 pm
The dithering turned out very good I guess. But if you want to create a logo in demoscene style, you shouldn't use a true-type font, but create your own letters instead. Also, giving the letters perspective makes it look way more styleish instantly. Right now, it looks more like the Photoshop wind filter applied to a piece of text ;) Check out http://ada.untergrund.net/logogallery.php for example in case you need inspiration.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 12:29:14 pm
Yes, i view in deluxe paint make the dither is automatic (and the aa) and with other programs for make the demoscenes or anything pixel-art.

And after view more demoscenes i think the people make the logo with photoshop or with amiga old graphics make in deluxe-paint have more tools make anythings autmatic, dithering, aa etc..

I At the moment only i use ms-paint for my creations, but after view tutorials of pixel-art made in photoshop is more easy :) .

Offline robotriot

• View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 12:58:36 pm
It's true that sometimes they used short-cuts to create their graphics, but still, all this can be done in Paint as well, it'll just take longer. Why do you use Paint anyway? It's really an annoying program. GFX2 is free and way better :)

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 03:32:35 pm
I use MS-Paint by for pixel-art is good and for make the graphics pixel-at-pixel you not need more...

But after view all the demoscenes considered pixel-art, i think not all is made pixel-at-pixel and use tricks or short-cuts for make dithering, forms, AA, reflections, etc...

I talk with another amiga pixel-artist, and he said me with deluxe-paint is more easy make pixel-art that with other program (this is their opinion) have the perfect tools to make this, anti-alias, dithering etc... and for demoscene logos not all is make pixet-by-pixel. He make first the line-art and create the bevel. After get a texture decrease colors and retouch the pixels for their line-art and put the anti-alias automatic using the colors(all in grey scale) and for finish change the palete, create details pixel-at-pixel for all the draw etc... and have the demoscene logo.

Now, with this steps i have an idea that how can make the incredibles demoscene logos in pixel-art.

You said all the demoscene logos can made in Ms-Paint(just take longer). I view this, and think he not use Ms-paint jejeje, and think for make this in Ms-Paint is imposible. If you get the image and zoom view imperceptible colors or soften on this. I not think this image its made pixel-at-pixel.

http://gfxzone.org/theme/5_bit/01/peachy-scheryl_lee.png

I view more demoscene logos and all the artists in gfxzone etc.. have a logo... but i looking for a "demoscene tutorial logo" and i not find nothing. I view tutorials of pixel-art that all types... by why no anybody made a demoscene tutorial logo of pixel-art? I think will be interesting...

Offline robotriot

• View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 03:54:12 pm
I use MS-Paint by for pixel-art is good and for make the graphics pixel-at-pixel you not need more...

Well, you don't even have keyboard shortcuts or a proper way to manipulate the palette in Paint, nor a usable cursor. While it is entirely possible to work without these features, it's really not very convenient. You should definetly take a look over your horizon and try different tools ...

But after view all the demoscenes considered pixel-art, i think not all is made pixel-at-pixel and use tricks or short-cuts for make dithering, forms, AA, reflections, etc...

I talk with another amiga pixel-artist, and he said me with deluxe-paint is more easy make pixel-art that with other program (this is their opinion) have the perfect tools to make this, anti-alias, dithering etc... and for demoscene logos not all is make pixet-by-pixel. He make first the line-art and create the bevel. After get a texture decrease colors and retouch the pixels for their line-art and put the anti-alias automatic using the colors(all in grey scale) and for finish change the palete, create details pixel-at-pixel for all the draw etc... and have the demoscene logo.

Now, with this steps i have an idea that how can make the incredibles demoscene logos in pixel-art.

You said all the demoscene logos can made in Ms-Paint(just take longer). I view this, and think he not use Ms-paint jejeje, and think for make this in Ms-Paint is imposible. If you get the image and zoom view imperceptible colors or soften on this. I not think this image its made pixel-at-pixel.

http://gfxzone.org/theme/5_bit/01/peachy-scheryl_lee.png

Believe me, it's possible in Paint - I mainly use Photoshop for pixeling, but I don't use the features which might be considered as "cheating" when creating pixel art. Fullscreen graphics like the one you gave as an example are a little different from scene logos though imo, they're way more complex.

I view more demoscene logos and all the artists in gfxzone etc.. have a logo... but i looking for a "demoscene tutorial logo" and i not find nothing. I view tutorials of pixel-art that all types... by why no anybody made a demoscene tutorial logo of pixel-art? I think will be interesting...

There's a tutorial right there on GFXZone - http://www.gfxzone.org/articles/goblin_pixelling_tutorial-article.html

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 05:48:40 pm
The last logo in the tutorial is pretty weak, sadly.

matriax, dpaint, or the modern equivalent, Pro Motion do indeed offer tools to making demoscene art faster, but there's really no shortcut to doing good work. Just faster. Palette management, lots of hand-aa and texturing are still the norm.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 06:02:21 pm
I view more demoscenes logos and yes i think ones is made by pixel-by-pixel but in other i view effect of photoshop. I made a proof and i make a text with flames etc.. decrease colors to greyscale and after select the hue etc.. and with 32 colors have the seem efect, quality, etc.. that other demoscene logo considered pixel-art.

And i think, how can desmostrate the logo or anything is made pixel-at-pixel if with photoshop or anything program can create the same ¿?  ??? If until the Deluxe-paint have a automatic AA, or dithering....

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 06:05:37 pm
There's is no difference in making "demoscene" art and the art we call pixel art today. You cannot cheat. Some apps like Pro Motion, Dpaint or GrafX2 is better suited for this kind of art because of the nifty keyboard shortcuts, dither modes and palette editing functions. But in the end you always have to tweak each pixel by hand to get the best result.

EDIT: I'm sure you can create some effects in Photoshop that looks like if they were made pixel by pixel. But what's the point? I don't do pixel art just because it looks good. I also do it because it's fun and challenging. If you want the best result you have to do it pixle by pixel. Sad but true my friend. I think you should start to do some smaller logos first, try do do some more interestesting shaped letters. I see no point using the CGA palette either. You have to be a real master to do great stuff with that one.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 06:14:51 pm by Mr.Modem »
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline dille

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 04:59:22 pm
Im a bit confused about this "demoscene"-thing. What does it mean really? I've seen some sites with "demoscene"-graphics but what makes it "demoscene"? Where does the phrase come from?