AuthorTopic: [WIP] Big-hat-guys Adventure in EGA-Land  (Read 4865 times)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

[WIP] Big-hat-guys Adventure in EGA-Land

on: July 11, 2009, 05:21:40 pm
Currently developing a little game to test my leveleditor and since grafx2 had the EGA-palette loaded when I started it to make some tiles for testing purpose I went with that. This is what I have so far:

8*8 Tiles, supposed to be played on 160*128, so for those running on 1280*1024 that would be 8x :)

Also started a watch as I liked the idea of having it for the main menu

(I am planing on putting it on a desk with some random papers laying around to create some indiana-jones-planing-an-adventure atmosphere ;) )

Currently I am not at all statisfied with the underwatertiles as they dont fit the scenery I think (should be more cave/pyramid style). Also I don't know whats possible with ega and I'm having a hard time using the colours, so if I missed better choices for ramps or such things feel free to point these out ;)

Offline pgil

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Big-hat-guys Adventure in EGA-Land

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:16:03 am
No comments on this yet?

I really like the watch. Personally, I like it without a background.
The tileset is nice too. The underwater part looks nice, though it might be hard to navigate. Is there a ceiling?

Anyway, I like the EGA palette. It may seem hard to work with, but I think it can be a lot of fun.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:37:04 am
Thanks for the comments.

Made this edit after studying arachnes ega mockup. To me it seems to look better but I'm still not sure. Any c+c on the new tileset?
Also Monaze I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. If you want to make an edit, feel free to so ;)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:59:25 pm
Slightly updated version:

Should I stick with the new tiles?

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:40:45 pm
Yes, most definitely stick with your new tiles. Everything is looking pretty good right now, but a few things jumped out at me. The first is where the water meets the ceiling of the submerged cave. I think that if you just take the brightest highlight off of the rocks they would look better because, right now, it looks as though the water falls a few feet and goes around the dry ground. Also, the pillars aren't very clear right now, so it took me a little bit to figure out exactly what they were. Maybe just a little more definition around them would help with this.

Other than those things you're going a great job working with the EGA palette. The tiles are very well made, and I would definitely play a game with these graphics.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:11:48 pm
Philip the highlights in the background columns do not work. Too high value, and red also. Background is blue, blue is a cold color, it seems further away. Putting the purple-red highlights on them makes them punch out in the front, looks like tileglitchery more than anything. I'd do the background tiles with just black and the dark blue, personally. Give it a shot without the excessive highlights and see how you like it.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:48:21 pm
Thanks for mentioning both points. You both seem to be right, I will make an update tomorrow. (had no free time over the weekend :()

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:52:05 pm
Lazy quick edit incomming.

I just want to know, does this solve the problems? Don't really like the background without any highlights, and I dont think that these would create any readability problems in the game. (I mean foreground/background issues, I'm still not sure whether one can read them as columns without problems)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:07:17 pm
No, I think it looks better now. The purple highlights were pretty distracting and did not work. The compromise with purple hueshift on the outskirts of the highlight is good. Looks pretty great, good job!

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 08:51:03 pm
Thanks Atnas.

I threw away of the watch for the main menu and instead tried a portrait of the protagonist, who will raise his hat when the game is about to start:

Having much trouble with the hand, any tips?

Also I made a very quick draft version of the first level which will lead the player into the temple in which the main story will play: