AuthorTopic: Hooded guy [WIP]  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Ddawg

• Trying to listen to those who know more than me
    • View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Hooded guy [WIP]

on: July 11, 2009, 02:16:13 pm
Here's this guy:

Bust-A-Move inspired me...
I think I might get rid of the wrinkles, and do something with the eyes. What could I do about the hood outline?  :mean:
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Hooded guy [WIP]

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 04:20:01 pm

Here is my edit, its to mainly show you how drapery works, how it would fit around the head, remember its also affected by gravity, you should use reference as well, it helps greatly: http://www.lrpstore.com/uploads/images_products_large/97.jpg

The wrinkles are going to be made depending on what its going over, in this case a head, by simplifying it into the basic shapes as seen here, it definitely helps you understand alot better how cloth going over it is going to act(Also helps in drawing anything period, simplification to complexity). Ehhh I'm not really good at this I was just trying to help a little bit, I hope I have helped if any.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 04:39:49 pm
Your portraits are a bit difficult to critique because they are so tightly framed. Why don't you do one full body character and then we can get to business since that gives a better overlook of your skills and gives a better idea of what areas you should concentrate on practicing?

Offline Ddawg

• Trying to listen to those who know more than me
    • View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:33:54 am
bengoshia: Thanks, I'll work on the hood, but his face stays mostly the way it is.
JJ Naas: I'll work on the rest of his body, and thanks for pointing that out.

UPDATE:

...man that sucks...What's wrong with him?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:52:56 pm by CommanderD »
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:47:39 pm
CommanderD, it doesn't look like you did much at all, the fundamental flaws are still there, you gotta fix this man. Refer back to my post, try to use that reference I gave you more. Try and think in simple shapes, you also have to ask yourself, "Where is the light source coming from? How will it affect the objects in my picture?", this may be pixel art but the fundamentals of art still apply.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:55:36 pm
If he lifted the other arm up as well it'd be much shorter (and thinner) than the arm that's already up.

Where does the face end and the hood begin?

Draw the body underneath first, then draw the robe on top of the body.

Or try to draw what you have here (tha face and the hands) without the robe and you'll see what's wrong.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:46:21 pm
CommanderD, you're very young! From what you've posted here, it's apparent that you don't have a grasp of foundation skills. These foundation skills are extremely important if you wish to create any kind of art at all. For example, you say you like cartoons. But a cartoon style is merely a simplification of real life. You need to understand basic lighting, anatomy, form, mark making, etc, if you want to be any good at art.

Pixel art is just as much a medium as acrylics, markers, crayons, digital paints, or pencils are. The master painters would have been good at pixel art merely because they were good at art.

But pixel art is a somewhat slow and sometimes tedious medium. I would suggest working on your general art and drawing skills with pencil and paper, pen and paper, just something analog. Drawing on paper is much quicker and you're sure to learn much more from it. Because of your age, you haven't had as much time as the rest of the people on this forum have had to hone their art fundamentals, but it's a necessary step to get your art looking better.

I would recommend visiting www.conceptart.org and starting a sketchbook. It's a wonderful place for young artists because you'll be surrounded by professionals. I've seen young people start sketchbooks with very poor drawing skills progress to professional levels in a matter of years.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 09:04:41 pm
I agree with Atnas, CommanderD, now is your chance to be at the level of a professional artist by the time you're my age, if you act now and begin taking it seriously, you'll have saved a lot of time. If theres one thing I regret its that I didn't start taking it seriously earlier on. At your age I wasn't really accepting of critiques, you just gotta stomach it and admit you're wrong sometimes so you can better yourself from it!

Offline Monzae

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 10:13:49 pm
Your holding out on Wrinkles, they're highly important on a piece of clothing. Bengoshia done a good example, follow the wrinkle and light source suplied.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 11:40:06 pm
maybe he's not informed yet.
but he's young ??! come on, that's a positivity.
the only thing he needs to do right now, is just to be more sedate, atleast while he's being here. pixelation is a school ,right ?
or else, pixelation shows no mercy.

peace
Be Like no other