AuthorTopic: Faris .. Sword Combo  (Read 16561 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Faris ..

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:57:04 pm
I agree that the clouds are rendered very pleasingly.

I love the new art style, it seems coherent, better use of the resolution, etc. I'd try to work a bit on the sky behind the clouds. Either you pull them together or you go more into the decorative style ndchristie mentions. Try to exploit the curvature of the clouds into almost pattern like entities.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 01:55:20 am
Tourist
oh yea! that's one perfect reference pic, thanks alot man. i'll get it done and i'll post it asap.
and btw, dubai is in uae (united arabian emirates) not in persia.

ndchristie
lol,

the sword needs two colors for the motions i'm intending to add.
and yea, you reminded me. i might think about adding some minarets, or an arabian palace.

Gil
yea this style is like more (lget the party started). thanks for mentioning that, i'll redcorate the sky.

anyway guys, here is a horse for our knight ,kinda an arabian horse .i'll change its color but i want to get a proprer shape first.

see at 3x

as i'll be editing the (mockup) background.
Be Like no other

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 06:59:29 am
Ugh, blame Google, not me.  I searched for Persian desert and the first pic was that one.  I think Google confused Persia and Arabia because the page that has the picture mentions the Persian Gulf War in the paragraph following the image.  I mentioned the search terms in case you wanted to use them or something similar.

I'm glad you like the picture.

Tourist

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:00:50 am
I love the way this is going.
I think you should try adding a bit of blue in the dune shadow tint and make the whole dunes less saturated so the character is easier to spot.
Nice horse too =)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 01:19:49 pm
there's some banding on the left side of the guy's head that doesn't look too pretty and the selout on the horse is pretty ugly too. otherwise i really like this.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 05:34:31 pm
I don't mind the banding really.

The horse is very stylized, I like it. Reminds me of Metal Slug  :y:

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 06:50:03 pm
I think the new smaller sprite is a huge improvement on the old larger one, but I think it should be taken a bit further. I did an example edit to show you what I mean:

First of all, the saturation on a lot of your colors is maxed out, that often doesn't look very good unless you're going for the neon lights look. You'll usually want to tone it down to get a bit more gray in there, that also really helps when using colors for anti-aliasing, when the saturation is low you can use the same AA color for multiple other colors.
I assume the horse is mostly just a sketch at this point but the contrast issues are pretty severe. The mane and tail being so much darker than the outline make it look very odd. Also as was mentioned by Tuna the selout on the horse is awful. On a neutral background it looks like little spikes.
With the player character, I upped the contrast and tried to bring out the main shapes with larger, simpler areas of color. Not so sure what the shield was supposed to be so I made it metal. Maybe it's a hide shield though? I couldn't really tell. Also cleaned up the sword a bit. I like the silhouette a lot, didn't really touch that.

Edit: Yeah, don't take my "horse" anatomy as accurate, I didn't use a reference for it. :P Shading and colors still stand though.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:07:22 pm by Pawige »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 07:00:26 pm
Well, i do like Pawige's edit of the horse, but it looks more like a donkey haha..

I suggest you look at horses from the acquired area due to them being selected to have the best attributes etc

http://mobarakandish.com/asbiran/Ihb/index.htm
has loads of different breeds ^

They're all the same view as what you're doing, so i'd suggest to resize them down or something..

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 10:09:31 am
see at 3x
here is a new horse !

here is a new background

Tourist

yea thanks man ^.^

fil_razorback
thanks ,i tried adding some blue.

Tuna Unleashed
got it done. the banding doesn't cause a problem, it was meant to.

Gil
xD lol, metal slug has no horses

Pawige
i like your edit on the shading of the character ,its colors, and the hood's shading, but the pants has the close look.
i'm think of going with less colors style. but not at the moment
the sheild isn't supposed to be metal, it's like a prass wooden one .
and the horse o.O has become a donkey ,a fat donkey now.
i've made some changes you'd like to see.

Quake
thanks man ,i actually took a look at some pics.and i'm going for the arabian kind .

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:20:56 am by hsn2555 »
Be Like no other

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 12:06:25 am
a marketplace !! a small kisok lol. i'm working on the salesman, and i'm thinking of a palmtree to be added next to the kisok.
Be Like no other