AuthorTopic: Faris .. Sword Combo  (Read 16563 times)

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Faris .. Sword Combo

on: July 08, 2009, 09:47:13 pm
hey guys,
i'm finally done with my finals.

latest update :
last reply

therefore i posted this thread, it's about an issue i've been discussing with some dude xD.
faris is an arabic word which means knight.

previous sprites :

the rest can be located in here : http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8262.0

so here i'll be showing you some changes i've added to those previous sprites :

see at 3x or 4x.

well,the reason why i am turning to this style is that i find it simpler, yet funner, and easier to deal with.

crits pl0x
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:28:40 am by hsn2555 »
Be Like no other

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: Faris ..

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:44:17 am
a quick mould
Be Like no other

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:49:00 am
I think theres a lighting issue, your using your darkest shade as the lighest shade for the brown. That doesnt really work. Also post the picture in it's lowest resolution, please.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:56:02 am
ummmm .. i'll edit it after a while of sleep
here
Be Like no other

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 04:04:02 am
If you're showing these at a higher res its important to try not leaving stray pixels all over the place, like the dark ones on the sword or the two light ones on the pants. HIS left arm is a bit far out from the body, try pulling it in a pixel or pushing his chest out.

You're AAing 45 degree lines, and not the angled lines that need it. Try reading through Helms ramble thread, basically he outlines that you're main intent is to fake resolution, and straight lines (this includes 45 degree lines, not sure if he mentions it in there though) are "infinite" resolution.

I would generally discourage the random pixel lines in at the top and bottom, but I assume that's all still WIP.

I like the change in style, he's got a ton more character now, his, uh, eyehole could be bigger though.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 05:23:21 am
You're AAing 45 degree lines, and not the angled lines that need it. Try reading through Helms ramble thread, basically he outlines that you're main intent is to fake resolution, and straight lines (this includes 45 degree lines, not sure if he mentions it in there though) are "infinite" resolution.

I'd debate whether clouds have straight edges, or even crisp ones, so considering no segment is near 45 degrees for more than a few pixels, i have to counter-crit that diagnosis (sorry).

I suggest instead reading Ptoing's article on it, which talks more about the gentler lines and how to soften those, rather than what not to soften.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:32:56 am
I was looking at the sand dunes actually, mostly it stood out to me because of the lack of AA on the lines that really needed it, and I figured I'd throw in the bit about 45 degree lines not really needing AA.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 02:41:29 pm
thanks guys,
but umm, since this is still a mould, i'll take my time AAing when i'm actually done with those basic shapes.
until i find a fit desert reference ,or a background that fits the sandy ground,
suggestions please
Be Like no other

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:55:41 pm
Reference pic of Dubai, found using google image search for Persian desert:

http://www.solarnavigator.net/geography/geography_images/Dubai_Margham_desert_sand_dunes.jpg

I think it's a perfect fit in terms of shape.

Tourist

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 10:03:54 pm
so the idea that the UAE is now in Persia...lol

I should mention that i like the new direction.  I would consider drawing the sword in a single color, either very light/white or very dark/black.  Color separation between the character and background is very well considered.  the sky takes us into an interesting realm just in the stylistic choices (some sort of mannerist or even decorative idea).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.