AuthorTopic: Main Character Sprite for a Game ^_^ needs work.  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Main Character Sprite for a Game ^_^ needs work.

on: July 08, 2009, 06:44:38 pm
I would like to know how I can enhance this sprite, give me any advice... I am open to everything, I just wamt this sprite to be as good as it can possibly be.  I appreciate it if you reply to my post. Thank you so much! ^_^

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:47:11 pm by Mistajaye »

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: Main Character Sprite for a Game ^_^ needs work.

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:03:21 pm
nice character
relent the hair, make it simpler (less-detailed), so you can make bigger and cooler wisps.
what's up with his mouth ,and his eyes are a bit goggled.
will he hold a weapon or something ?
Be Like no other

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:47:00 pm
I concur, nice character.

Here's what I see:

You've got a dark outline around each of the different parts.  The strong color contrasts makes this outline unnecessary.  Keep the dark lines where it is needed for shading, but remove it where it's just separates different body parts and let the colors do the separation.

The hair needs to be redone, for a couple of reasons.  The light in the image is coming from our left (per the shadows on the body), but the hair is evenly lit all the way around the head.   Except the pony tail, which is in shadow.  The hair strands should have some relation to the head/face rather than pure vertical since he has a ponytail.

The center of the headband is not centered between the eyes.  Move it 2 pixels to our right.  Or pull it around the other direction over the temple if you want a different style. 

Likewise you could move the center of the white X on the chest to our right by a pixel.  It's not that noticeable, though.  Compare it to the belt buckle as a reference.

I don't think the collar is quite balanced.  I'm not sure if it sticks out too far on our right, or if it's just too thick overall.  Something there could use some tweaking.  What is the collar supposed to be?  Is it made from the same armor as the shirt?

Overall it's good, there's just a bunch of small bits that don't quite work as well as they could.

Tourist

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:50:48 am
I've edited it a lil bit, I haven't messed around with the Manteau or muffler, but i will later, I just want your input thus far. ^_^

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:58:11 am
I like this.  I think that it gets a bit noisy, particularly with the hair, and that you  could simplify a lot to your own benefit.  the arm muscles are a bit silly, i think you could sort those out a bit, again to avoid busy shapes (so that it will unify as an arm and not some half-dozen gobs of clay).

muffler seem fine if it's chainmail (i'd probably call it a collar or gusset in that case), not sure what you mean by manteau (he's not wearing a coat or mantle, maybe you mean his tabard/scapular?) but if you do mean the blue piece i suggest leaving it alone is it's the part that works well.  If you mean that strange capelike thing, I suggest making it less superman and actually bringing it onto the shoulders like a real garment, or doing away with it. 

the headband i think is a real distraction.  it's very naruto and doesn't offer any characterization (unless naruto/commercial manga boy counts).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 07:56:40 am
I think it's a bit better, but you're still using the black outlines.  It's fine to start there, but don't leave them in if they're not needed.  Hair is going to be a solid volume of colors, no need for outlines.  Eliminating the outlines will also give save you a pixel.

I only touched the hair and the headband (and the original headband might be better).  For each clump of the hair, the mid-tone shows what color the hair is, the darker tone gives it volume, and the highlight shows the direction the strands go. 

Tourist

Offline Monzae

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 11:27:27 am
as of your latest, I'd say edit the hair, your using too many dark lines, lighten them up a bit, But I'd suggest keeping them visibly darker, it works with the style, Cape should go, and the sleeve (muscles or not) needs a little work. other than that, Thumbs up  :y: