AuthorTopic: [WIP] Robot Assasin Platformer  (Read 9509 times)

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Re: robot assasin platformer

Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:43:40 pm
the thing i like least about what you have so far is that there is no variation in the trees. i think simple one-color design like that could work fine but i'd like to see them in different sizes.

there's also some banding where the grass meets the earth (check this out: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8110.msg92434#msg92434)

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 03:26:36 am
the background is suppose to make it look like a forest. so how do you think i could change the background in order to fix this repetitive thing from happening?

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 03:42:15 am
As far as breaking up the monotony of the trees, just make two or three silhouettes then tile them in a random order.

As far as keeping them less defined, to make sure they don't look playable, it's more a question of contrast than definition (but that definitely plays a role) So say you've got a four colour pallet, make background objects two shades that are right next to each other, foreground objects (tiles) three shades (they don't necessarily have to be next to each other)
then interactive elements the whole range, or at least the lighter colours. Obviously this is just an example and not a set in stone rule, but I hope you get what I mean.

You came here looking for help on the mech though, have you got any attempts (even failed ones) that you can show us? Hopefully if I get the motivation today I'll give it a shot to show you what I'm talking about with the contrast.

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 04:14:07 am
when i say i failed i don't mean it looked bad i mean like it was so bad it not only looked bad but you could tell what it was suppose to be not even a little bit. so i deleted it.because essentially if you get a three year ol to draw it with the pencil tool and scale it it would wind out looking like a big mess the same as my actual attempt. for the mech all i really need help with is the line art i should be able to get the shading done myself.

as for the background i still don't get what you mean. sorry i'm not great at understand people when they talk all advance with there artist words. so i get lost when there used. even if i look them up it still does nothing i still get lost when people use them. lol. but yeah hopefully you can show me what you mean.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 04:51:58 am
Well, I was just giving it a go, I work from a silhouette so I'm afraid there's no lineart to give, but once I finish I'm sure it will give you a decent idea of how to attack it, I'll save my working steps for you, but around here we usually don't work off each others art, I don't mind if you do but that's not really the focus of the forum, it's just better for you if you go from scratch. Did you draw the reference?

What in my post are you unsure about?

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 05:10:01 am
Well, I was just giving it a go, I work from a silhouette so I'm afraid there's no lineart to give, but once I finish I'm sure it will give you a decent idea of how to attack it, I'll save my working steps for you, but around here we usually don't work off each others art, I don't mind if you do but that's not really the focus of the forum, it's just better for you if you go from scratch. Did you draw the reference?

What in my post are you unsure about?
yeah not to worry anything you provide is just to show me how it would be done ideally. ohh yeah i'm alos working on more tiles right now and water. so there should be more content coming soon!

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 05:48:06 am
I know I said I'd save working but it was really just a two step thing, silhouette -> detail. There's a few problems with it (particularly on the far arm, which I didn't notice till now) but hopefully it gives you some ideas, and clears up what I was talking about earlier.

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 06:11:23 am
it didn't really help sorry, i'm not sure if it was to much detail the shading or what but it doesn't help. i'm going to attempt a cartoon kind of look later but like i said my main problem is the getting the general look down for the character. here is my character idea i had it isn't very evil looking and it doesn't feel destructive or anything. but it was an idea maybe it might lead somewhere with some help.

i've uploaded the new tileset. it basically has  new tiles for the underground part of the ground tile that already exist. however the tile in the centre has tiling problems it doesn't tile very well at all. could someone help fix this?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:14:56 am by x-death »

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 05:35:16 am
no one replying...please i still need help. i haven't really been shown anything at all yet.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 07:04:38 am
you've gotten tons of advice you just haven't applied it yet. we can't make the thing for you, this isn't a community project, this is your pixel.