AuthorTopic: Inconsistent Gate! Help Needed~  (Read 9582 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Inconsistent Gate! Help Needed~

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 01:16:56 am
I reckon a proper protective gate would also be much thicker.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 01:17:11 am
Another thing that's usually done to unify screen elements is a shared palette. You have the same materials in your first structure as your second, but they aren't the same color.

The first one is much more appealing because of the softer desaturated colors.

Offline Zettman

• Prinny, dood.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 11:39:19 am
Oh! snap, forgot to post the references and what not up there...  :P The first isn't my Palette... I'm still incapable of creating my own, unfortunately... But I'm learning! Until two days ago I didn't know about saturation of colors =o everything had been done in bright in the past.

Oh you're right, the doors should be thicker...

Also, Yeah the wood colors differs and the roof tiles are different colors... I could just recycle the old Palette, but it wouldn't diverse much and it'd end up looking boring :/

Kay, so... I made the doors wider, gave it some "fortification" like ndchristie showed me, edited the planks a bit and I redid the small wood platform under it like I said I would, out of unsatisfaction. I guess It's starting to look much better, even tho It's still isnt... "Consistant" to the rest of my map :/

This is what I mean when I say It's inconsistent to the rest of the sprites... (Base excluded)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:40:53 pm by Zettman »

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 04:03:36 pm
as previously pointed out the problem IS mainly the contrast.... while you changed the softness of the lines thats not the only thing with high contrast on your wall and gate.

The contrast of the whole thing needs to go down, watch this...

see how it seems to fit in better?
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 04:21:00 pm
What I would really do is just match the palettes. If you've got buildings in the city made of the same material and same style, why not? I swapped the palettes over to see how it looks and it seems fine to me, and fits together a whole lot better.

If you don't want to do that, I think you've got about three major problems, first being that your wall's colors are way too saturated, and the next that the roof is darker than the walls, if you just modify it a bit so that the roof is darker than the walls, as it is in the soup kitchen, everything should look a lot better. Also there's the contrast problem as stated before.

Offline Zettman

• Prinny, dood.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 06:06:11 pm
Quick question, did you do swap it by hand or did you use a Program? if so which one o.o tbh I think I'm going to leave it swapped, it looks alot better :/

I guess I just need to learn to make one big desaturated Palette for the next buildings I make, then. ;.; Man, anyone got any tips for palette making? lol.

Offline Tsukasa

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 06:33:03 pm
Be carefull that the colors of the palette are harmonizing with each other and that there's a transition for possibly each for preferencial smooth gradients.
When making palettes think of the black/white balance, depending what it is for, dull things are often not so balanced and often have a gray tone to it, like a city would happen to be!

Best thing you can do is play around with different color variations, studies mostly! You will get into the teachings of colorusage pretty easy if you deal with it :)
Most artists prefer to use pastel-tones, as they are easy for the eye, instead of high-saturated colors as shown above, those do not match with the Ichiraku Ramen shop you've shown as example, it is rather unsaturated, I guess it's been mentioned before...

Yeah...

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 06:37:57 pm
Did it by hand, just looked at the color values of each color in the palette and changed them one by one. Didn't take very long. What program are you using to make these?

Offline Zettman

• Prinny, dood.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 07:12:45 pm
Well, I've been using Paint since forever, but I use Graphics Gale for things like "Full desaturation" and what not, but I feel more comfortable on paint tbh :/

Thank you for the tip Tsukasa  :) I've been looking at the palettes people use on their pieces, in detail of course and no one uses a sat higher than 200 for each, as far as I've seen... I guess only if you're looking for a cartoony feel to it.

Edit: Is it me or is the new wooden flooring under the gate starting to look off dimensional a bit @.@ I tend to confuse myself alot with dimensions and what not :/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:15:05 pm by Zettman »

Offline Tsukasa

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 07:19:19 pm
Well, I've been using Paint since forever, but I use Graphics Gale for things like "Full desaturation" and what not, but I feel more comfortable on paint tbh :/

Thank you for the tip Tsukasa  :) I've been looking at the palettes people use on their pieces, in detail of course and no one uses a sat higher than 200 for each, as far as I've seen... I guess only if you're looking for a cartoony feel to it.

Edit: Is it me or is the new wooden flooring under the gate starting to look off dimensional a bit @.@ I tend to confuse myself alot with dimensions and what not :/

Slightly, I believe it is because the heigth of the stones is not the same, compare the side heigth and the middle, it's only 1 Pixel though I think.
Best thing to do is look at palettes, aswell, yea.