AuthorTopic: My Pixel Stuff  (Read 10016 times)

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Re: My Pixel Stuff

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 08:58:05 pm
Allow me to tell you a short story. In my freshman year of highschool, I was enrolled into an advanced first-year Spanish class. Everyone was asked to learn SOME spanish over the summer. On the first day of class, we were asked to share what we'd learned. One of the students stood up and said, "Hola. I like burritos." With all of the literature available, that's what he opted to share. Perhaps what the student should have said was, "I haven't studied much, and unfortunately, that's all I was able to teach myself. Can you recommend some learning tools/literature?" I'm sure he'd have been less shunned.

PS: I don't think anyone was calling anyone else a craphead.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 09:01:00 pm by Monsoon2D »

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 09:08:04 pm
I have to admit that I was a bit off: you -did- better your attitude, now I read your second post a few more times. I'm sorry for that...

But you explained your reason, although that doesn't make it a valid excuse. I mean, many posts in this forum could anger ones artpassionate-heart, but what I suggest is: just press the back button instead of reply. And when you decide to reply, try to be helpful in the spirit of the community. If you end up being offensive, it wouldn't be much different from you, murdering a baby for pooping in his pants. Err.. - you're violating the rules against someone who is actually not fully in control of his actions.

Bad example.. Bad example..
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 09:26:21 pm
*NOW* I realise why I don't get babysitting gigs any more...

I'm of the belief that before you post to a forum you should lurk for a goodly while first (obviously I don't practice what I preach but I've yet to make a complete arse of myself... Come close, though.) and I think if you lurk here you're going to see that the average standard of beginner art isn't that bad at all. There are plenty of communities, however, which are very much tailored towards the absolute beginner.

You're right that I was too snappy, however, and for that I apologise to kr_default, but I think that had kr_d done a little more research they probably could have found a community which was far more receptive to their level of ability. Maybe I should have just pointed them there instead.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 09:55:36 pm
Please, it takes no balls to diss(1) a newbie(2) over the anonymity of the internet(3).

1. "It's crap", and "you clearly put no effort into this", while nobody wants to hear them, are not insults. Effort shows, even if it's misdirected effort.  Furthermore, the comment is directed at the art, not the artist.  People who don't know the difference should learn it early, and people who do know the difference and get offended anyway are way out of line.

2. Everyone, not just newbies, halfasses or makes crappy art at various points, and not calling somebody on it just reinforces their bad habits.  Harshness, if nothing else, causes someone to stop, rewind, and re-evaluate their art.

3. In my experience live critiques are way more harsh.  Anonymity is a non-factor.

I really don't want to drag this thread out, so I'll just leave it at that and invite anyone who wants to discuss this further to do so via pm :P
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 09:58:58 pm by goat »
typing ewith fdace