AuthorTopic: My Pixel Stuff  (Read 10009 times)

Offline kr_default

• View Profile

My Pixel Stuff

on: February 18, 2006, 09:53:50 am
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and i deicided to post my current W.I.P and a old piece of work called CHOMP so you can see my shading style ;D

Nova the Dark Star Blade - WIP:

CHOMP:

Dark Cyjelly:

Waterball:

Moon Light

C&C Appreciated and thanks

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 04:44:28 am by kr_default »

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Re: Nova the Dark Star Blade - W.I.P and CHOMP

Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 03:49:52 pm
Crap, tbh. Doesn't appear to have had any effort put into it. Shading looks like jpeg corruption.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline kr_default

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 10:09:23 pm
Crap, tbh. Doesn't appear to have had any effort put into it. Shading looks like jpeg corruption.

[sarcastic]oh, ok this helps sooooooooooooo much im sure all the helpful pixel facts will make me make a really good pixel[sarcastic]

what the hell, i am really knew to pixeling and your practically saying your work is crap now leave this forum now, well i dont give a crap im proud of my work and your a crap head

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 10:22:15 pm
Easy, KR. Calm down.

At this point, the best thing for you to do is to practice for a good while. We have a thread here that contains numerous links to tutorials, pixel artist websites, and a bunch of other stuff.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=222.0

Go there, and look through the tutorial sites for tips and stuff. Look through the artist websites and save what you like(do this with video game art as well). Next step is to practice. Practice a lot.

I recommend you take a look at the forum at GMpixel.com
http://gmpixel.com/

I think you'll find the environment at GMpixel more comfortable.

Offline kr_default

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 10:28:32 pm
thanks ive been to gmpixel before i didnt like it it was to unactive and ive posted there and got no feedback on my work, i like it here, indigo is my fav pixeler because i know him from the pixel forums, anyway im looking through this mspaint tutorial that that link linked to, but DrDerekDoctors wasnt helpful he just said my work was crap and thats about it, thanks for the links

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 11:00:31 pm
Well, it does look like you didn't put much thought into these. They're an assortment of shapes that are pillowshaded and/or noisy in texture. I noticed it in the lineart exchange thread as well when you started coloring Flaber's moose. The random assortment doesn't give texture, it looks like compression, and it uses up a lot of colors. Also, your colors aren't very interesting. Mainly consisting of desaturated brownish hues. It's just an unappealing palette.

My suggestion is the same as crab2selout's, look at pixel art and actually try to understand why pixels are placed the way they are.

Offline kr_default

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 04:40:35 am
i'll post some of my different work in the first post

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: My Pixel Stuff

Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 05:32:36 am
argh... please dont link your images.. its just annoying when we click the images to enlarge them it opens a link everytime..
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 07:00:10 am
Your shading style doesn't do anything for me and I don't even know where to start with giving helpful critique... I guess leave pixel art and go back to traditional training for some time? Starting from the ground up, pencil studies of simple volumes, light studes... I'm not sure.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 08:11:43 am
I like the moon light one. Everything has a problem and a solution. Problems are:

*Boring colors -  Solution : Vary the hues by this rule. Make the highlights appear yellowish. Make the shadows appear blueish. If you look at Ryu's shadows in SF, his shadows are blue. That's what 99% of the video game graphics use their shadows. It also breaks up the monotony and give you the video game style appearence you need to make it appear.  - Video Game Style coloring

*Lack of Contrast- Solution: Make highlights bright and shadows very dark. That'll help improve the overall shading.

*Too much dark outline- Solution: Don't outline everything in black. It makes it look more like a cg lineart that has been shaded. You might want to use selout or color outlines.

That wraps it up, I hope you get the idea for making some pixel art.