AuthorTopic: Alien Animations [update 6]  (Read 8896 times)

Offline Halloween_Cloud

• View Profile

Re: Alien Animations [update 2]

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:56 am
Yeah, that looks better. Personally, I would made the head normal and made the legs longer.

Offline SolarStrings

• View Profile

Re: Alien Animations [update 3]

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:35:36 pm
Started working on turning him a bit. Just lineart atm:

slightly turned view

c & c and tips on how to improve it. Edits are more than welcome!

Offline SolarStrings

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 12:22:42 pm
Got home from work, fixed a few bits and pieces in the lineart, and colored the piece

The colored version.

C & C is welcome as always!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:27:21 pm by SolarStrings »

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 04:25:47 pm
to me, back step... alot. you've totally missed the best constructive criticsm you've gotten.
I recommend you to pause on the animations for now, and first perfect your character.
I see this chest plate and think it yields no relation to the underlying shape, make it accentuate muscularity more.
Then the arms go into the outpointing part of the shoulder pads, but they come from the torso as a whole, try to look at the shape of a human shoulder girdle, and then apply your shoulder pads to that, so first draw the creature, before drawing it's armor and making misjunctions in the joints.

then the knees should go up a bit higher, and the main bulk of the calve could be placed more inwards, right now there really is a bulge on the front side of the leg which isn't supposedd to be there. So globally, although alien, look at human(oid) anatomy more and redesign this guy for the majority. Then start thinking about his armor again and make it make more sense in both shape and attachment to the body.

retouch on that, then work on anything else

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline SolarStrings

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 04:41:50 pm
Hey guys! (and ladies!)

Been trying to improve the anatomy now, and need some more sugestions on how to improve it.
Many thanks to TrevoriuS, who is trying to push me into the right direction. I was to lazy earlier to "fix" all the parts. Not sure if I managed to do that in this piece, so help me out some more.

New anatomy of alien.      Quick coloring.

Fixed?:

- arms no longer "grow" out of the armpads.
- Knees higher positioned
- Tried to make him look more muscular.
- "hopefuly" corrected the calve muscles :D

C & C everyone, so I correct the last parts and then start "splatting" some armor on the guy! :D

Feel free to throw me and edit!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:59:34 pm by SolarStrings »

Offline SolarStrings

• View Profile

Re: Alien Animations [update 4]

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 03:04:52 pm
Hi guys!

Here's the new running animation.

Still need to tweak some more on it i think, but I'm somewhat satisfied with it.

C & C please.

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Alien Animations [update 5]

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 03:15:00 pm
He seems to be punching with his right fist/lowerarm, which goes up too much.
When you look at the way you animated the left (foreground) arm:
the lower arm stays a lot more on a horizontal plane.
I think you should do this for the right lowerarm as well, which is now pointing upwards the whole time, making it look like he's punching.

Hope this helps!

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 03:31:56 pm
Firstly, he needs to be leaning foreward. When you run, you are essentially falling foreward, then catching yourself with alternating legs. Same with walking, just less of an angle. We use gravity to our advantage when moving.

Second, his legs need to show the force of the landing. Out of all the threads asking for help with their run animations, this seems to be the most common problem. The leg that the body is landing on needs to bend as the weight of the body is applied to it for the runner to look like he weighs anything. The best way to convey this is ha e one frame where the leg is extended, heel touching the ground, but no weight is yet on it. Then in the very next frame, the foot is flat on the ground, and the knee is bent. This makes it look like his weight was actually put onto that leg. In your animation now, the angle of his knees never changes from the extension to the next push-off.

The arms are a little wonky. When running, people usually keep their elbows bent at a constant angle, and the arm moves like a pendulum at the shoulder joint. The elbow angle may increase and decrease as the weight bobs around, but it stays more or less at a constant angle.

Keep up the good work

Offline SolarStrings

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 05:50:18 pm
Thanks for the good feedback!

If possible I would be happy if you could throw in an example of a good running animation from a game. This one is based on super metroid, where her back is straight while running.
I'll try to edit mine and make him lean forward a bit while running.

Many thanks.

Offline SolarStrings

• View Profile

Re: Alien Animations [update 6]

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 01:11:10 pm
Tried to adress the critics I received:

- Removed the "boxing" feeling to the right arm
- Gave "weight" feeling to the animation

Still need to make the character lean forward, but I might be to lazy to do that, we'll see.