AuthorTopic: Mr.Boo... has come to see you! and now hes walking too!  (Read 12436 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: Mr.Boo... has come to see you!

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 02:47:03 pm
I also like the older one better, but I think you could make it work a lot better by reversing the color ramp on his suit. Make it go from dark dark blue to a purple, instead of purple to green. You could even darken the darkest darks a bit on him. That will offset it more from the purple-to-green background. Alternatively, you could do something different with the background. Just change it a bit so that you don't have the purple-to-green on both.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 05:04:06 pm
SOOoooo manny colours yet there are not enough to please me :(

what do you guys think of these... which ones are better... what can i do too improve etc etc etc.

"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 05:35:00 pm
I would suggest something like this:

Did a little bit of tidying up and added a few details but nothing major. Mostly just a palette edit. My impression is that suits and generally rather drab, as opposed to the bright colors you've got right now, with the contrast between the face and the body it would work on just about any background too.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 07:24:03 pm
Oh contre!

the suit is not supposed to be drab at all! infact the character himself is wacky always happy... but scary in appearance.. he is not an evil person as a drab suit might portray. He is the main protagonist and seems to bring a bright fun weird side to what otherwise seems scary and horrible things.

think of a mix between willy wonka, jack skelleton, the cat in the hat and Oogie Bogie!... yeah odd i know. hard to explain.

anyway i think i have my final design and pallet unless anyone can sugest otherwise.

and thanks a bunch Pawige your edits helped improve him even more, redone the tie animation too.

here is where i am at this is my final screen size too i think

now tiles!

Offline eckered

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 08:45:34 pm
what about giving him a different color shirt, perhaps plain white?

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 12:26:55 am
Unless your talking about his suit blazer im not sure what your after? you cant really see his shirt...

anyways i have a tile update, what do you think of this.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 01:14:08 am
Despite Mr. Boo's mood, I agree with Pawige that the drab suit works better. At the very least it's the smoother rendering that helps distinguish it from the background. Mood can be portrayed through the animations, in fact I'd say clothing has not enough to do with mood to warrant a decision that will confuse the player's eye. Expression is much more effective. Although with the mask, it's a bit hard to tell if Boo is truly happy or not. But I'd say the idle is rather... Energetic.  :)

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 01:52:17 am

I honestly cant make up my mind about this... do you defiantly think that the drab suit works better here? because i think it works better in some ways and yet still i think maybe the drab puts it into the background a bit too much compared too the other :/

i want to make this decision now and have it done with.... if people think the drab purple works better i may keep it but his suit was originally supposed to be blue (not that i cant change that)... but aahhh someone decide for me :( i hate choices like this now im just typing and typing cause i dont know what to do... help? anyone?...

too drab or not to drab... that is the question? or alternativly any other ideas O_O... (hopes not)

EDIT
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:02:15 am by artisan »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 02:34:27 am
Tango is certainly an option. The problem was the suit sharing the greens of the grass. I think either tango or drab purple will work better than the green. Personally I would go with purple because it links Boo to the background without making him stand out or stand back too much. I don't think you'd want to make him green, blue, or dark brown, as those are the dominant platform colors. The purple works well because it's never used as a primary, only as a transitory blending color. The green/blue boo shares two of the most dominant colors.

The goal would be to select a color scheme which renders the character independent of the background while maintaining an anchor to it through a shared characteristic.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 08:29:39 am
Tango or purple, depending on the backgrounds used and colours dominant in enemies as you'd want him standing out from them. Definitely not green, as the contrast is too strong, or some such. And all the things Atnas said.

Tango could always be appropriate after a TANGO POWERUP or as your evil half brother or some such. :)
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage