AuthorTopic: Small Landscape  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Small Landscape

on: February 17, 2006, 06:45:14 pm
I just realised I haven't posted any of my pixel art here yet so I decided to post something. I made this little piece of art a couple of days ago. I consider it almost done, there are some small things to tweak. I think I should add some smoke coming up from the volcano. It would be nice to get some c+c on what I've done so far though.

20 coulors.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Small Landscape

Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 01:03:56 am
Quite impressive.  I agree about the smoke, the volcano should be smoking if it's erupting.

I think you should add a bit more depth to it.  Make sure that it's easy to see that the mountains are in the background, maybe get some atmospheric perspective.  It's confusing to see where everything fits together.  Is the lava flowing into the river?  If it is, then there should be some major steam rising from that area.  Also, the black on the right bothers me.  It's clear that you need to have another darker color if you want to put in some shading that dark.  I'm not sure why that side of the waterfall would be that dark, there's no real indication of anything that's casting a shadow on it.

Offline God Slayer

• No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. No one.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 01:13:13 am
I just realised I haven't posted any of my pixel art here yet so I decided to post something. I made this little piece of art a couple of days ago. I consider it almost done, there are some small things to tweak. I think I should add some smoke coming up from the volcano. It would be nice to get some c+c on what I've done so far though.

20 coulors.

I highly doubt a setting can be as idylic as that with a cinder cone volcanoe eruprting- the amount of gas, ash, and tephra for such close proximity would be enourmous! Besides, a cindercone wouldn't have pyroclastic flow like that,thats more in the way of a shield volcano.

(Please let my science teacher have taught me well, sorry if I'm wrong, I don't think so though) 

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:00:24 am
More crushing thoughts:

The smoke and ash errupting from the volcano would completely offset the sun-is-shining mood of the thing, as most light would be blocked out by a large cloud, and the ash would be everywhere.

you might want to make the lava look more like hardened lava, though it would be interesting to see a landscape wher ethe valcano was beginning to errupt, and corrupt the countryside with a huge ash-cloud :q

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 07:30:48 am
Thanks for the comments guys. I know the volcano doesn't really fit in to the rest of the picture. I started pixeling this picture to practice some shading techniques and see how well I could pixel a waterfall. I thought it would be fun to do a volcano so I added a volcano. I think I'll keep the volcano as it is for now, it's not meant to be a super realistic picture. I agree that the picture needs more depth I should probably darken some areas. The black area on the side of the waterfall will be fixed. When I see it now it looks odd.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.