AuthorTopic: The Tank  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

The Tank

on: July 01, 2009, 09:47:06 pm

refs on the right.
atm I need help with making the lighting more dramatic and the background.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: The Tank

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:47:17 am
What do you mean refs on the right? I don't see what the tank and the soldiers has to do with the picture on the left.

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:00:26 am
I'm going to use that for a ref later, and I just happened to have it pasted in there.
...since you posted, can I have some critique? It pisses me off when people come into my threads and just ask totally unrelated questions...

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:46:07 am
I'm going to use that for a ref later, and I just happened to have it pasted in there.
...since you posted, can I have some critique? It pisses me off when people come into my threads and just ask totally unrelated questions...

I wasn't sure what you wanted critiqued.

As for the girl, there are a lot of anatomy problems. The hand ( don't know where to begin ), the wrist ( too skinny ), the breasts ( uneven ), the arm ( a bit long ), the ear ( too high ), and then there is the hair, which is making a sort of mask over her face.

The background.... I have no idea what you are trying to do there, so I can't comment.

But you also did mention you wanted some help on the lighting. Maybe something like this?

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:04 am

Was that really necessary?

Offline eckered

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:31:52 pm

Was that really necessary?

oh, the irony  :-X

the problem with the lighting is that you seem to have just applied your highlights randomly.  the lightest tone on the leg farthest from us (the viewers) is random, and doesnt really match up with anything else.  the lightest shade on the bottom part of her shirt has the same issue. 
also, whats going on with the rest of the piece? and whats with the pokemon looking thing, and the reference?

Offline Dragen

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 08:30:29 pm
I call troll.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 08:41:33 pm
No you can not. Here's a strike. My brain read one thing, you said another. Strike revoked. But don't armchair mod anyway.

And Tarenken, please be more considerate of the time people spend on you in hopes of improving your artwork. I do not think the questions asked were unrelated at all.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:54:49 am by Helm »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 09:14:46 pm
Pisses you off? Haha, you must be quite prone to anger. I would've asked the same questions actually.
In fact, I see no consideration given to lighting at all. And what bg? That rectangle? Then also, how are you using the WWII shot for reference? You've apparently boosted the darks in the right-side, mainly around the genius trying to shoot the sherman with a rifle, which further adds to the mystery that is this thread. Even if you did give sufficient information enabling us to crit the right things, your attitude has already made me think twice.
But, before that black cat crosses my path and gifts me with a strike as well for posting useless text, I'll advise you to give as much info as possible so everyone knows what the heck they're looking at, because honestly I haven't seen graphical elements more randomly juxtaposed than what you got cracka-lackin' right-chyuh, heard 'at.

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 05:05:46 am
Wow, lots of replies just because of something that I said when I was PMSing.  ??? I hope I didn't offend anyone too badly, and yes I am very prone to anger, moreso during that 'time of the month'.
In any case, let me give more of an explanation to this piece.
This started with just the Luxray gijinka (who the Pokemon is a reference for), but I wanted to incorporate a background, and I happened to be listening to The Dear Hunter's newest album (which is about war) while I was working on it, so I added in the background and a bit of a backstory - Pokemorphs are being created as disposable troops to fight in a dangerous war. Or something like that. A lot of the concept's in my head and it's hard to type it down.
The WW2 pic was used as partial reference for the tank, and to give me an idea of what a war looks like - I've never seen one. I was hoping that I could use it to help give me inspiration for the background, and it ended up on the canvas because I'm too lazy to flip back and forth between windows.

As for what I want critiqued - the lighting (which Evileye was a great help with, thanks!), the anatomy, how to pull off the background, etc. I plan on submitting this to PJ's weekly challenge if I can get it done in time, which I probably won't be able to.  :(

Again, I'm sorry for what I said. I should have elaborated more on my original post.
Updates... working on them right now. Hopefully I'll have something of substance to put here soon.