AuthorTopic: large bird piece  (Read 9789 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: large bird piece

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 06:49:34 pm
Man, you are awsome + 720.

But yeah, teh hand does look odd. The thumb is bent at an odd angle. I mean, for a thumb to be in that position is possible, but it just looks odd for that particular pose.

I also agree with Alex about that neck thing.

Offline Hyptosis

• Kill the blacksmith, that sounds fun.
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:25:34 pm
Very cool and inspiring work! Thank you for sharring them with us!
"Even a stopped clock gets the right time twice a day." -Orbital

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:17 pm
Your work is very inspiring. If it isn't too much off-topic, where as an artist do you want to go next, seeing that you can pretty much achive the look your going to, and have a nice grasp on pixelling techniques and theory? Where can you improve (or what do you suck at :)) ?

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 09:16:02 am
Woo! Wasn't as keen on the bird piece (just because I'm not a big yellow fan) but love the ghostly monster thing. Anyways, I like the pose, it's like he's just fired a big spell.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 05:02:42 am

who the hell keeps drawing these damn things? *looks around anxiously*

Turbo: you can always improve in anything you do... if you were perfect, then there would be no more desire or need to continue doing it! i think... anyhow, i have no purpose with my art or anything like that, just some guy who pushes teh pixels!

hey alex, i agree about the neck issue. do you have any suggestions there for le fixin? if there is too much contrast there it looks a little silly (ive tried).

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 05:08:17 am
How the hell do you texture things so detailed. Both of those pixel arts are unbelievable. When you zoom in close its like. So cramed with textureing yet so orginized too...

Really good job!
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog
In the corner of the round room.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 09:55:51 am
Final Fantasy, eat your heart out!
I really must read more tutorials on your site.
When I see your work, it just inspires me to make a new art.
It is incredible how you put so many detail in such a small sprite.

Offline BioMors

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 03:57:11 am
Not bad man, I only have a couple things to say:

The bird looks a bit flat- and I don't mean that it doesn't have any depth, but that the depth is too restricted to localized changes.  The wings stick out fine, one leg is behind the other- but the same is true for an origami bird.  There's a large area on the bird's torso, up into the underside of the wing, onto the neck and one leg and tail a bit, that has the same average color.  I think you paid such close attention to the feather pattern that you lost touch with the fact that that area should be conforming to the body of the bird.  I get the impression that you have a piece of glass pressed up against the bird.

You can probably fix that very easily by shading a bit more along the pit of the wing to imply some foreshortening, and defining the musculature of the legs a bit butter under the feathers (which, if you're going for anatomical correctness at all, look like they spring from the body a bit too low down on the tail).

I can't really comment much on the skull guy; too simple and ephemeral a design to find much wrong with it (not that that's a bad things at all, sometimes less is more).  The only thing I can say is what you have already- the foreground arm is funny.  It's either too short, or you need to make a bend in the arm a bit more obvious because at the moment it's not projecting enough toward us to be that foreshortened (and the shadows don't imply it).

The ninja mummy only has one problem I see: his/her left arm (our right) seems a bit off.  By the hand it looks like the elbow is bent toward us a bit, in which case I would suggest shadowing the joint and the base of the forearm to enhance the foreshortening and clear this up.

Aside from that I don't see any glaring issues.  Good luck sorting out whatever existential dilemma you've come upon.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 11:51:02 am
The bird looks a bit flat- and I don't mean that it doesn't have any depth, but that the depth is too restricted to localized changes.  The wings stick out fine, one leg is behind the other- but the same is true for an origami bird.  There's a large area on the bird's torso, up into the underside of the wing, onto the neck and one leg and tail a bit, that has the same average color.  I think you paid such close attention to the feather pattern that you lost touch with the fact that that area should be conforming to the body of the bird.  I get the impression that you have a piece of glass pressed up against the bird.

You can probably fix that very easily by shading a bit more along the pit of the wing to imply some foreshortening, and defining the musculature of the legs a bit butter under the feathers (which, if you're going for anatomical correctness at all, look like they spring from the body a bit too low down on the tail).

Nice, I didn't notice it before you said it. Anyway, I agree.

Another thing about the bird is the tail, it -could- be the view, but the shape isn't really showing to me. But of course, as always, you did a wonderful job, pixelwise. We're just looking at the smallest details anyway.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 01:35:42 pm
Mummy-dude reminds me of one of captain commando's lackys hehe. Good stuff though. I love the skeleton/lich-thingy's colors, but the design is bit over simplified. Perhaps adding some ensignia/patterns to the hems of its garment might help out. Your palette update on him was a nice touch as well; his colors seem more unified now.