AuthorTopic: large bird piece  (Read 9790 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

large bird piece

on: February 17, 2006, 09:35:22 am
trying to get back into the swing of casual art again, and pixel art in general. ive unfortunately havent been able to draw many things for myself for a good while now.

anyhow, i can crit this a bit myself at this point. the main problem i feel if i wanted to be adding more detail is that there could probably be a bit more contrast in the nooks/crannies of the feathers and such to give them more separation and detail (especially under the wing at this point). perhaps a few palette value adjustments as well, but id love to hear feedback on it in general!

edit:  have spent a little more time on this to include a bit more detail and to make the palette much more vibrant and rich. all the points that were brought up were very fair and thanks for that. i unfortunately did not go in and fix any skeletal/anatomical issues that may or may not have been pointed out, but i did add a bit more feather layering and smaller detail to make other certain areas pop a lot better.

-st0vey
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:32:24 am by st0ven »

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: large bird piece

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:30:42 pm
Nice to see you pixeling again =). Lovely bird, excellent palette and form. Awesome detailing on the tail and head.

The red feathers, even in the 'shadow' areas they seem exceptionally bright, however that gives it somewhat a mythical look so I suppose its not exactly a 'flaw' per se. Also the leg closest to the viewer seems underdetailed and rather flat. Lastly, on the wings, feathers tend to start off really small near the 'bone' of the wing and grow longer as they go further down, currently it appears there is just one or two feathers, in each feather column, because they blend together (might be the contrast problem you mentioned).

So anyways... *adds to st0vie folder*

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:40:10 pm
All I can really say is BRILLIANTLY TEXTURED. But I'll force myself to be constructive.

The wing closest to us doesnt seem to ever really join the body. It feels a little as if the body and head were drawn from a different perspective to this wing. I'd suggest simply blending the under wing feathers lower, towards the 'shoulder' section.

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 04:43:16 pm
I think it's gorgeous, and this kind of think baffles me cuz I could never pixel like that.

Only think I'd like to see is more of that red glow effect under the wing.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:34:59 am
perhaps a few palette value adjustments as well, but id love to hear feedback on it in general!

-st0vey
Holy mother of dear...
That's... UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLY detailed... like you cheated or... something.
Anyways, here's a pallete adjustment. Whether it's good is up to you.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 04:33:06 am
 Looks great St0ven! Hope you do make some great works for you games. :)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 09:38:02 am
Meh, pixellin over here to keep my mind off other things, unfortunately i dont think i quite ahve the focus at the moment to put it towards this one project that i should be *looks around*... its probably for the better though, i feel like im out of shape! so i dont know if im trying to work up a collection of these guys or what... but i made a nother equally rediculous looking pixel piece as the bird.  of course, he has no name and so i have been calling him 'skull guy' :/

and yeh! i know what youre already thinging, "what a ghey ass pose!"... heheh... well too damn bad! lol. His foreground hand could use some work i think *taps finger*...

Edit:
Worked up a new version of this guy. tried some different color schemes here, not to mentoin a few outfit changes. also went for a more bubbly/cloudy look that bahamut lagoon stuff had made oh so much usage out of with their sprites, i really like the effect! (also more consistent with his torso).

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:20:07 pm by st0ven »

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:49:05 am
Wow St0ven. Haven't seen you in a veerryyy long time. It's good to have you back ^_^

All I can say is, wow. Amazing stuff. I can't think of anythign to give criticism for, so I shall just bow down to you from a distance.
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 11:21:45 am
I am not worthy of giving comment  :o.
In one word BEAUTIFULL. :'(

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 06:16:09 pm
Nice work,
something about that throat thing on the bird looks odd to me, perhaps it is the way it blends(or lacks thereof)into the neck, I think it would make more sense if some feathers above it were pokeing into the throat thing, but I don't know.
I really like the flow to the second one.
These seem like they could be used in an rpg battle screen..

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 06:49:34 pm
Man, you are awsome + 720.

But yeah, teh hand does look odd. The thumb is bent at an odd angle. I mean, for a thumb to be in that position is possible, but it just looks odd for that particular pose.

I also agree with Alex about that neck thing.

Offline Hyptosis

• Kill the blacksmith, that sounds fun.
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:25:34 pm
Very cool and inspiring work! Thank you for sharring them with us!
"Even a stopped clock gets the right time twice a day." -Orbital

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:17 pm
Your work is very inspiring. If it isn't too much off-topic, where as an artist do you want to go next, seeing that you can pretty much achive the look your going to, and have a nice grasp on pixelling techniques and theory? Where can you improve (or what do you suck at :)) ?

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 09:16:02 am
Woo! Wasn't as keen on the bird piece (just because I'm not a big yellow fan) but love the ghostly monster thing. Anyways, I like the pose, it's like he's just fired a big spell.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 05:02:42 am

who the hell keeps drawing these damn things? *looks around anxiously*

Turbo: you can always improve in anything you do... if you were perfect, then there would be no more desire or need to continue doing it! i think... anyhow, i have no purpose with my art or anything like that, just some guy who pushes teh pixels!

hey alex, i agree about the neck issue. do you have any suggestions there for le fixin? if there is too much contrast there it looks a little silly (ive tried).

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 05:08:17 am
How the hell do you texture things so detailed. Both of those pixel arts are unbelievable. When you zoom in close its like. So cramed with textureing yet so orginized too...

Really good job!
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog
In the corner of the round room.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 09:55:51 am
Final Fantasy, eat your heart out!
I really must read more tutorials on your site.
When I see your work, it just inspires me to make a new art.
It is incredible how you put so many detail in such a small sprite.

Offline BioMors

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 03:57:11 am
Not bad man, I only have a couple things to say:

The bird looks a bit flat- and I don't mean that it doesn't have any depth, but that the depth is too restricted to localized changes.  The wings stick out fine, one leg is behind the other- but the same is true for an origami bird.  There's a large area on the bird's torso, up into the underside of the wing, onto the neck and one leg and tail a bit, that has the same average color.  I think you paid such close attention to the feather pattern that you lost touch with the fact that that area should be conforming to the body of the bird.  I get the impression that you have a piece of glass pressed up against the bird.

You can probably fix that very easily by shading a bit more along the pit of the wing to imply some foreshortening, and defining the musculature of the legs a bit butter under the feathers (which, if you're going for anatomical correctness at all, look like they spring from the body a bit too low down on the tail).

I can't really comment much on the skull guy; too simple and ephemeral a design to find much wrong with it (not that that's a bad things at all, sometimes less is more).  The only thing I can say is what you have already- the foreground arm is funny.  It's either too short, or you need to make a bend in the arm a bit more obvious because at the moment it's not projecting enough toward us to be that foreshortened (and the shadows don't imply it).

The ninja mummy only has one problem I see: his/her left arm (our right) seems a bit off.  By the hand it looks like the elbow is bent toward us a bit, in which case I would suggest shadowing the joint and the base of the forearm to enhance the foreshortening and clear this up.

Aside from that I don't see any glaring issues.  Good luck sorting out whatever existential dilemma you've come upon.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 11:51:02 am
The bird looks a bit flat- and I don't mean that it doesn't have any depth, but that the depth is too restricted to localized changes.  The wings stick out fine, one leg is behind the other- but the same is true for an origami bird.  There's a large area on the bird's torso, up into the underside of the wing, onto the neck and one leg and tail a bit, that has the same average color.  I think you paid such close attention to the feather pattern that you lost touch with the fact that that area should be conforming to the body of the bird.  I get the impression that you have a piece of glass pressed up against the bird.

You can probably fix that very easily by shading a bit more along the pit of the wing to imply some foreshortening, and defining the musculature of the legs a bit butter under the feathers (which, if you're going for anatomical correctness at all, look like they spring from the body a bit too low down on the tail).

Nice, I didn't notice it before you said it. Anyway, I agree.

Another thing about the bird is the tail, it -could- be the view, but the shape isn't really showing to me. But of course, as always, you did a wonderful job, pixelwise. We're just looking at the smallest details anyway.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 01:35:42 pm
Mummy-dude reminds me of one of captain commando's lackys hehe. Good stuff though. I love the skeleton/lich-thingy's colors, but the design is bit over simplified. Perhaps adding some ensignia/patterns to the hems of its garment might help out. Your palette update on him was a nice touch as well; his colors seem more unified now.

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 10:40:15 pm

and also the furthest leg should be higher up then the closest?
Nixel Art