AuthorTopic: large bird piece  (Read 9853 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

large bird piece

on: February 17, 2006, 09:35:22 am
trying to get back into the swing of casual art again, and pixel art in general. ive unfortunately havent been able to draw many things for myself for a good while now.

anyhow, i can crit this a bit myself at this point. the main problem i feel if i wanted to be adding more detail is that there could probably be a bit more contrast in the nooks/crannies of the feathers and such to give them more separation and detail (especially under the wing at this point). perhaps a few palette value adjustments as well, but id love to hear feedback on it in general!

edit:  have spent a little more time on this to include a bit more detail and to make the palette much more vibrant and rich. all the points that were brought up were very fair and thanks for that. i unfortunately did not go in and fix any skeletal/anatomical issues that may or may not have been pointed out, but i did add a bit more feather layering and smaller detail to make other certain areas pop a lot better.

-st0vey
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:32:24 am by st0ven »

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: large bird piece

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:30:42 pm
Nice to see you pixeling again =). Lovely bird, excellent palette and form. Awesome detailing on the tail and head.

The red feathers, even in the 'shadow' areas they seem exceptionally bright, however that gives it somewhat a mythical look so I suppose its not exactly a 'flaw' per se. Also the leg closest to the viewer seems underdetailed and rather flat. Lastly, on the wings, feathers tend to start off really small near the 'bone' of the wing and grow longer as they go further down, currently it appears there is just one or two feathers, in each feather column, because they blend together (might be the contrast problem you mentioned).

So anyways... *adds to st0vie folder*

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:40:10 pm
All I can really say is BRILLIANTLY TEXTURED. But I'll force myself to be constructive.

The wing closest to us doesnt seem to ever really join the body. It feels a little as if the body and head were drawn from a different perspective to this wing. I'd suggest simply blending the under wing feathers lower, towards the 'shoulder' section.

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 04:43:16 pm
I think it's gorgeous, and this kind of think baffles me cuz I could never pixel like that.

Only think I'd like to see is more of that red glow effect under the wing.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:34:59 am
perhaps a few palette value adjustments as well, but id love to hear feedback on it in general!

-st0vey
Holy mother of dear...
That's... UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLY detailed... like you cheated or... something.
Anyways, here's a pallete adjustment. Whether it's good is up to you.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 04:33:06 am
 Looks great St0ven! Hope you do make some great works for you games. :)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 09:38:02 am
Meh, pixellin over here to keep my mind off other things, unfortunately i dont think i quite ahve the focus at the moment to put it towards this one project that i should be *looks around*... its probably for the better though, i feel like im out of shape! so i dont know if im trying to work up a collection of these guys or what... but i made a nother equally rediculous looking pixel piece as the bird.  of course, he has no name and so i have been calling him 'skull guy' :/

and yeh! i know what youre already thinging, "what a ghey ass pose!"... heheh... well too damn bad! lol. His foreground hand could use some work i think *taps finger*...

Edit:
Worked up a new version of this guy. tried some different color schemes here, not to mentoin a few outfit changes. also went for a more bubbly/cloudy look that bahamut lagoon stuff had made oh so much usage out of with their sprites, i really like the effect! (also more consistent with his torso).

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:20:07 pm by st0ven »

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:49:05 am
Wow St0ven. Haven't seen you in a veerryyy long time. It's good to have you back ^_^

All I can say is, wow. Amazing stuff. I can't think of anythign to give criticism for, so I shall just bow down to you from a distance.
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 11:21:45 am
I am not worthy of giving comment  :o.
In one word BEAUTIFULL. :'(

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 06:16:09 pm
Nice work,
something about that throat thing on the bird looks odd to me, perhaps it is the way it blends(or lacks thereof)into the neck, I think it would make more sense if some feathers above it were pokeing into the throat thing, but I don't know.
I really like the flow to the second one.
These seem like they could be used in an rpg battle screen..