AuthorTopic: Bang/boing  (Read 8597 times)

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Bang/boing

on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:35 pm
You know that when I come here, I'm absolutely desperate for help c:

Tossing his gun in the air (colors got screwed here)

Shooting

(Piet's edit)

On a Rooptile (Kangaroo-reptile cross)

And the one I'm have trouble with, running.

Oh, and would any of you guys happen to have a reference of a Kangaroo hopping in GIF/frame by frame form? Can't find any.
The Wild thing

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Re: Bang/boing

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:55:48 am
I don't have any GIF references, but most animations I've seen have them bounce just like giant rabbits. I did find this though, as the tail factors in - http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/kangaroo-hopping1.htm

To stabilize that motion, the kangaroo's sizable tail acts as a counterbalance to its hind feet. If you watch a kangaroo hop in slow motion, you'll see the tail moves down to meet the feet almost in midair. As the marsupial lands, the tail raises. By transitioning from that horizontal position, when the feet are on the ground, to being quasi-vertical, the tail's downward thrust helps propel the kangaroo up. This counterbalance effect is similar to what happens when you ride a see-saw.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:22:49 am

Sorry for the size. It's the best I could do.
The image is from Animals In Motion by Eadweard Muybridge. Pick up your copy today!

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:27:58 pm
Oh thanks so much guys, that really helps.
Hows this? Not going for ultra realism, just the basic concept of how the Roo can jump.

Also, any help on the running anim? Can't seem to get it right.
The Wild thing

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:51:49 pm
I think you can make it a little bit better by making his arms wobble a bit, to make them less static.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:06:12 pm
I think his tail should be off set a bit more. Add another frame for the lowest point maybe. It feels like his tails is being moved consciously as opposed to by gravity.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:13:50 pm
I like the characters a lot and the kangaroo Rooptile mount is an epic idea. Mounts are great for giving a character new characteristics.

Can you only fire the gun while standing still or will you add a run cycle where with a gun and if so, how do you plan to handle the recoil and the light effect?
I had this problem myself and "solved it" by making all hand guns energy based without recoil. The other way would be to draw a bunch of additional frames which looks really cool but is a bitch to work with.

A nit pick, but you made the character hold the gun in two different hands but if you're going to use mirrored sprites for left and right movement I guess you still will be right half of the time so it's no biggie at all.

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:42:02 pm
Thanks, I agree, I love games that allow you to ride animals/mechs/etc., adds to the experience so much.
I think I'm gonna make it so that he can only shoot while standing still, but to compensate for that, its going to be very fast and powerful (His gun will be changed to something a bit more fancy)
He's right handed, but for the mount, I thought having the gun visible is more important than consistency d: Its not a big detail but oh well. I can't be bothered to make two directional sprites for everything.
The Wild thing

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 05:21:42 am
Come and watch the kangaroos near where I live, I see about 20 on the way home from work at night standing at the curb and hopping around  :yell:

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 06:15:25 am
I'm not certain what problems you have with the current run animation, looks pretty ok for a standard cartoon-ish run cycle. But if you want it too be more realistic you shouldn't really lift the legs up so high, more than just being unrealistic it also means the difference between frames is too much and leads to a choppier animation.

take a look at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Muybridge_runner.jpg