AuthorTopic: Anders Portrait [WIP]  (Read 4574 times)

Offline vinegarstroke

• I'm gorgeous
    • View Profile

Anders Portrait [WIP]

on: June 29, 2009, 01:56:29 am
Hello :D

I used to be a member of pixelation 5-6 years ago and then dropped off the face of the internet. I recently started thinking about making a game but then realised I really need to start working on pixel/life art.

So here's a WIP character portrait I've had a go at as a practice piece. I say WIP because I want to get used to fine tuning a piece and I've always been a tad afraid of criticism :-[, but I'm 20 in a month so it's time to man up :D

Anders
20 cols including transparency (unless photoshop lied to me)

Sketch of Anders

Thanks a lot *braces self" :P

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: Anders Portrait [WIP]

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:22:03 am
Nice character.  Very appealing.

Here's what I see:
I think the basic anatomy is a bit goofed.  I understand it's a cartoon style, but the face is distorted oddly.

The eyes are roughly 3/4 view.  The nose is almost profile, with one nostril (our left) shoved far away from the rest of the face.  The mouth is pulled far back the other way, and it is not under any part of the nose.  The chin is pulled back with the mouth, away from the center of the face.

I think the nose tip needs to be redone and pulled back towards the center, and the nostril should be aligned to the inner edge of the eyeball.  Then the mouth needs to move to our right so it sits under the nose.  This may require adding to the far jawline a bit too.

The eyes are very large, which is fine. They are also bright white, which makes them pop out a bit.  The eye sockets, particularly around the inner eye on our left (his right) are minimal or non-existent.  The whole thing looks a little like a muppet with ping-pong ball eyes.  Maybe that is the intent.

I think you could enhance the eye socket a bit and the pop-eye effect would be reduced.  Maybe shade the eyeball a bit more too, but that could be tricky with the large eye and limited colors.

There's a dark blue patch on his cheek.  It's unclear what this is, I'm guessing it's a sideburn of some sort?

Oh, and happy birthday!

Tourist

Offline vinegarstroke

• I'm gorgeous
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 04:29:04 am
Tourist: Thanks a lot for the help; I knew some stuff was wrong with him but I didn't quite know where to start. Really helped me out with what was wrong.

I hate to say "Oh yeah that's just my style" but as far as the eyes go, that sort of is my style (http://cagd.leedsmet.ac.uk/media/6/063668_5bf5dd_h.jpg?r=40251515), though I did make a few adjustments based on the comments :D

old new

Oh the blue thing on his cheek was supposed to be a tribal marking of some sort, silly decision on my part to make it the same colour as the hair.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:33:07 am
mind pulling the whole head a few pixels to the right so it rests on his shoulders a bit more naturally?

the face anatomy is fine, the style reads perfectly, I don't think there is any need for disambiguation there

you are loosing some of the expression from the sketch to the pixel image

Offline vinegarstroke

• I'm gorgeous
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:50:33 am
mind pulling the whole head a few pixels to the right so it rests on his shoulders a bit more naturally?

the face anatomy is fine, the style reads perfectly, I don't think there is any need for disambiguation there

you are loosing some of the expression from the sketch to the pixel image

thanks a lot :) cracked the head 2 pixels to the left:

I think I'm preferring the pixel image to the sketch really, the sketch's proportions are way off but at the time seemed perfectly fine. Anders is only meant to be a kid and I think the original sketch and pixel portrait made him seem a little too old. I might think about trying out some different facial expressions once my Vaio gets fixed :)

Offline pixelarg

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:22:35 am
wa! is a really good drawing!! :P

i make a lil edit in the palette, in the jaggeds, anti alias and sell out ;)

AH! and i reduced the colors to 13 or 14 :P

Offline -Marc-

• Dear Knuckles, please brush your teeth.
    • View Profile
    • profile at stop motion magic

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 05:13:26 pm
the shadow on his fore head seems a little odd to me, maybe make the right side thinner.
I'd edit to show you, but I'm on a netbook so pixeling is no fun.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 11:20:24 pm
right now his tabard/scapular thing isn't really reading as such, it looks like a scarf.  soften the folds so that the viewer knows it continues  :y:

you could use some aa colors too in the shadows because the forms are getting lost/jaggy :).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.