AuthorTopic: [WIP] Dungeon Romp (Animations!)  (Read 12874 times)

Offline Avocado

• Howdy
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dungeon Romp (Animations!)

Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 01:12:07 am
Hopefully this solves some of the issues you had with the attack animation.  I looked at your edit and Ben's animation from a million years ago:

I think there's a speed problem with the upload, I do some stuff with varying frame speeds and apparently photobucket doesn't like that. Might just be internet explorer, I really dont know. To be perfectly honest I was going for an attack something like in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-nyKk-xbK4, but I feel like this is a decent compromise between the two because the game that this is going into is less "smash attack button" than chiki chiki boys. Should I exaggerate the keyframes more? That's the one thing kind of bothering me.

also, I updated the walking animation. Unless there's something horribly wrong with it this is probably going to be the final version.

also, zombie!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:26:42 am by Avocado »

Offline Don risotto

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 04:16:30 am
I'm not 100% sure because I don't (usually) go around swinging swords and the like, but I think the action of the shield during sword swing is a bit off. both of his arms are following the same trajectory, which ends with the character being off balance. I'm pretty sure his shield arm should move in a slightly inverse direction to his sword arm to help him maintain his centre of gravity. looks great though!

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 04:37:10 am
The walking animation looks great! Except something about the shield arm bothers me.. The shield itself is fine, but the arm holding it seems to bend a little strangely. I think it's that the arm is moving, but the shoulder stays in the same place. Maybe try moving it a pixel or two forward during the swing?
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 08:00:10 am

just so you know, IE6 does not time gifs properly. newest versions of FF and Opera do, however. I can't vouch for IE7 or 8, Safari, Chrome etc.

I like the style, but there are a few thinss that could be improved here.

I'm pretty bad about explaining these things verbally, i'll have an edit up here in just a bit.

Edit up.

It's like 4:30 in the morn here so i apologize if none of this makes any sense.

Frame 4 - trimmed down the 'blur' from the swing a bitit looks a little more sharp. sharper = more ouch factor.

Frame 5 - cut out some of the bottom end of the swing blur. Because frame 6's blur previously occupied the same space, I thought it would look a little smoother if i did what i did. (frame 5's blur and frame 6's blur overlapped quite a bit and made much of frame 6 redundant. ) als moved a fair bit of his head and torso down and to the right, to make it look like he's putting more of his body into the swing. Swinging a swordrbaseball bat/giant frozen fish requires you entire body to move in tandem. it's hnot perfect but i think it gets the message across a bit better.

Frame 6 - Extended the blur a tad, gives that frame more visual priority. moved the head southeast again.

frame 7 - this is the one i added in. It's not particularly important, but moved the sword to the right and angled it up a bit, also moved the shield up 1 pixel to make it seem like there's a wee bit of heft to his gear.

frame 8 - added this one in. it's the exactly the same as frame 6 from your version cept i took out the blur entirely, and i moved the shield down 1 pixel.

frame 9 - didn't touch it.

I also messed with the timing all over the place, can't remember where now :P

Removing frame 8 would just about preserve the "quickness" of your original. Personal drawback. I tend to focus on fluidity too much and it ends up sucking all the force out.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:06:22 pm by Corsair »

Offline Avocado

• Howdy
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 11:46:17 pm

I tried to apply most of your guys' crits of the swing to the knight's stab, hopefully that turned out okay.  The walk looks kind of weird so I might mess around with the knees a bit.  I feel satisfied with the bug death.

Don Risotto: Yeah, I see your point.  I'm not uploading the new animation because I'm being pressed for time and I'm satisfied with how it looks, but I moved the shield up a bit more during the peak of the swing.
Regulus: I feel like that might be because the depth isnt really visible because I didn't shade the arm, I see what you mean though.
Corsair: Thank you very much for the edit!  Definitely taught me quite a bit about smoothness, hopefully you can see some of your crits applied in the knight's attack.  If I have a bit more time before friday I'll see if I can update the character swing even more, I did a little bit of editing but I looked at your post again and realized that I missed half of what you said.  I'll definitely upload an improved version sometime though.

Offline Don risotto

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 12:40:00 am

I tried to apply most of your guys' crits of the swing to the knight's stab, hopefully that turned out okay.  The walk looks kind of weird so I might mess around with the knees a bit.  I feel satisfied with the bug death.

Don Risotto: Yeah, I see your point.  I'm not uploading the new animation because I'm being pressed for time and I'm satisfied with how it looks, but I moved the shield up a bit more during the peak of the swing.
Regulus: I feel like that might be because the depth isnt really visible because I didn't shade the arm, I see what you mean though.
Corsair: Thank you very much for the edit!  Definitely taught me quite a bit about smoothness, hopefully you can see some of your crits applied in the knight's attack.  If I have a bit more time before friday I'll see if I can update the character swing even more, I did a little bit of editing but I looked at your post again and realized that I missed half of what you said.  I'll definitely upload an improved version sometime though.

the one pixel shift actually makes it look loads more convincing imo

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 07:11:19 pm
Hi, if I could suggest anything, maybe a small bit of animation for the single hair of the first animation of the guy walking with the sword?

here's something like what I mean...

later!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:13:39 pm by dtek »

Offline Avocado

• Howdy
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 05:34:46 pm

most of the dragon was a rush job done a few hours before the project deadline, so forgive the lack of animation in parts other than the head.  :blind:
The protagonist death is basically the same as the knight death, again due to time constraints.  I might revise it to give it more of an anguished feeling, with him stabbing his sword into the ground and sort of leaning on it before collapsing, like, not now, I cant die now!

The dragon overall pissed me off because I couldn't just work with flat color and there was no way to stick to the three color limit without it looking kind of icky, but im pretty sure ill be able to figure out a way to improve it.  The fire breath is bland but I like the head shakey thing I did with the death, I just have to change the way the body moves.

I'm pretty satisfied with how the protagonist blocking animation came out, and have a jumping animation underway but it's only keyframed in so I'm not going to upload it.  I've started working starting with keyframes instead of all of the frames and even though it takes a bit longer I really like the way things are turning out now. 

After I finish up the jumping animation ill get to improving all of the older stuff, guaranteed.   ;)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:22:22 am by Avocado »