AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tank project  (Read 2864 times)

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

[WIP] Tank project

on: June 24, 2009, 11:26:23 am
Hum. I haven't done spritework in a long time, so for this little project I have going, I think I need a bit of help.
Basically, its a topdown-ish 8 directional shooter. The idea is that you are a merc with a minitank who tries to infiltrate some enemy base or something (story is still..uhm...on its way?) Anyways, for the engine basics I made the character and his tank, along with assistant footsoldiers, enemies, really WIP hud, and some simple tiles.

as you can see, there are some really cheaply done animations for the tank, full rotations for the assist footsoldiers, dead images with the palette of the enemies for your reference, the gun, the player, some other stuff.

some basic animations, just for the sake of having them there...anyways, Im reallly hurting in the dirt/tree tiles, and the tents, I think. I cant seem to make dirt look good without all the noise, but on the same hand the noise just doesnt..quite cut it to me. Any help for anything here is appreciated, be it on the sprites tiles or hud. and any help regarding making the tank animation look good without it bouncing up and down(doesnt work with the character and gun sprites being seperate) would be just great   :)

//old P.S.
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/9196/screeniok.png
in game screenshot with slopped together level because I lack tiles at the moment. link form because it has some minor NPA in it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:10:36 pm by miscdude »

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Tank project

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:49:29 am
looking pretty good so far :)

priority is iffy though.

super quick edit to illustrate that

also added a mist overlay - might work well if your engine will support it?

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Tank project

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:56:44 am
my engine will support whatever I have time for  :P
thank you, that edit really helps me see how much room for contrast there is. Ill get to work on the contrasted characters/scenery right now.

//edit (edit uptop)
okay, so by lowering the contrast on the dirt and giving the units all more...eye popping palettes, I think the prioritizing should be much better now. I tried to find a midground between mine and yours because it seemed too heavy to me, but mine seemed too blurred. if that makes sense. your mist has inspired me to work on a moderate weathering system...but that can wait.  :D thank you once more.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:38:40 am by miscdude »