AuthorTopic: One of my first sprites  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Vicious Zen

• View Profile

One of my first sprites

on: February 17, 2006, 02:06:13 am

So, I haven't been doing pixel art for very long, some tips would be great. Not sure if I really like the size, to be honest. I may end up using it as an RPG battle sprite. Who knows. *shrug*
So, critique would be very much appreciated. So would some tuts, haven't had much luck finding sprite tutorials. :(

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Re: One of my first sprites

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 02:13:50 am
Here, I think the most important part of the picture you should change is color choice. As of right now, the colors are fairly normal, nothing really different. It's in a much different style than anything I've seen thus far, and giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'd say that's nice. The left arm should be visible (just slightly).

Nice to meet you, anyways. :D

Offline Vicious Zen

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:29:28 am
The arm was something I was really unsure of, I'll give it a go though.

Better?

As for my color choice, her costume was originally supposed to be orange, but I couldn't get a hue/shade that didn't look stupid. >.>
I'll try and figure something out though, thanks.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 04:15:03 pm
Hey Vicious Zen; welcome to the boards.  Regarding the sprite tutorials, there's a wealth of knowledge in this thread.  Check out st0ven's site (spriteart.com) especially; it's got a bunch of useful tutorials for beginners.

On to the sprite:

-I disagree with CAG regarding the color choice; there's nothing wrong with "normal" colors.  That and there's nothing "normal" about green hair :-P  Not that it's a bad thing, just not normal.
-The headphone cord (if that's what the white line across the torso is) needs more contrast.  Consider making it white, or at least almost-white.
-The pants shadow color could stand to be darker; a bit more contrast there and on the shirt would help define the form a bit better.
-The hair is very flat at the moment; in fact the whole head is rather flat.  Again, contrast will help you here, but you will need to add some shading to the hair.
-The outlines look ok, but some selective outlining might be a good idea; the outlines look a bit jagged in places, notable the front of the pants.

Overall, it's a good start, but the sprite does need some work.  Good luck with this.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 04:51:34 pm
Welcome, Vicious Zen.

Well, I decided to make an edit(I may have gone overboard though).

the stuff I changed:
- I reduced the colors on the sprite to 18(21 on the origanal).
- I gave the sprite a more "Ready" stance.
- I changed the color of the outfit to orange(does it look ok?).
- I the sprite's hear dangle, but there might be wind?
- I hope the sprite is a female...