AuthorTopic: [WIP] - Metroid avatar  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Don risotto

• View Profile

[WIP] - Metroid avatar

on: June 18, 2009, 08:55:12 am
Hi! I liked jad's crazy poring avatar so much I decided to shamelessly rip it off was inspired to make this metroid themed version!
  - Jad's

I'm just about confident enough to post this single frame. The pallette is 15 colours + trans. and I'll start animating it tonight I think.

slight update

Critique appreciated! (be gentle  :'()

Here's my reference -
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:13:17 pm by Don risotto »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] - Metroid avatar

Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:28:55 pm
lots of random noise within the metroid doesn't help a lot, sadly. Try to make sure that all pixel clusters convey something, be it detail or texture. If it reads as noise, then it does, and you'll need to redo it. Are you going to animate this? Because that'll be hell when you've already rendered everything. If you wanna animate, go down to simple outlines and blobs and do the animation there, then render it as you go along.

Also just have to say that I adore the idea because I love the SHIT out of metroid <3
' _ '

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:30:51 am
I'd heard of Metroid before and know of Samus, but I've never seen that thing before. Is that what an actual metroid is? It does make me think of some sort of poring abomination.

I take it your creation is inspired-by-metroid rather than meant to be a direct conversion to pixel art because of structural differences (the, uh, beak?) but you could still try and highlight the, er, grape-bunch-brains as individual balls perhaps, lighting top left of each ball rather than split both sides might work better, similar to how it works on the outer jelly-like shell, or on Jad's poring itself.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:38:50 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Don risotto

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 02:00:54 am
hah yeah. I'm having a bit of trouble with all the noise so far, animation is approximately half done (lazy) Might redo the inside since I haven't started that yet. Too much detail! thanks for the tips, I'll post it up pretty soon.