AuthorTopic: Grass Tile  (Read 4528 times)

Offline MCA

• View Profile

Grass Tile

on: November 17, 2005, 06:09:39 am
Today was my first ever shot at a grass tile! 8)  I started out with just randomly placed green pixels, but after reading The Grass Tile tutorial on Zoggles' site, I think I greatly improved my work.

The top is my very first attempt, followed by my three tutorial steps, the last being the final (for now) product.
4 colors on each tile.  c&c much appreciated. :)

Edit: Found a better image host!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 09:43:56 pm by MCA »

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Re: Grass Tile

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:29:25 am
Wow, great improvement MCA. Very nice stuff. I too tried this tutorial, but with much less success than you....

The only thing I would say is wrong with the picture now is that it looks very gridded, which is a big no-no for tiles. If you read more of that tutorial, he explains how to stop this.
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 06:05:10 pm
I did this tutorial too at one point as a starting off guy. I came up with some rather good results, perhaps this is handy to you:

http://art.faktor-g.com/pixel/tiles/spring-grass-2-desert.png

As you can see, the most important part is getting rid of the grid. Try splitting the tile in four, and putting it back together in reversed order, then try messing with it again and tiling it again, makes for interesting results...

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:40:32 am
a simple way would also be to only make pieces of identical sizes in the tile.
(for a single tile grass)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 05:32:50 am
Aye, getting rid of the grid is the most important part when dealing with tiles, especially grass.
The best way to do this is use more then one time, and alter things slightly with the tiles as you work. You'd be surprised how one sligh movement of a pixel in a tile can change the look when tiled.

Here is an edit I did with your tile. I took the "chunk" of grass, then copied and pasted it into the large "empty" spot that's being shown in the grid.

Though this isn't your answer, and my edit doesn't justify what a good tiled grass should look like. All I'm saying is fill in that empty space, and it changes the look a lot, in a positive way. When you focus too much on the center of the tile, and ignore the outer parts of the tile, you end up with that "grid" result. The best thing to do when making tiles that will repeat themselves a lot like grass is to treat every space of the tile the same.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 05:35:35 am by Dusty »

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:09:05 pm
Sorry 'bout that, i was a little tired last night.
What i meant to show you with my example was that you don't have to start off with disheartening 5 tile complex grass:
following a simple rule can net you something to improve upon :)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 08:03:03 am
 This thread was similiar to mine. Great work you guys did to help him out. Good job. I am hoping to work on a grass tile tutorial someday.