AuthorTopic: [Wip] first c64 ifli picture - help needed  (Read 5002 times)

Offline jok

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint gallery

[Wip] first c64 ifli picture - help needed

on: June 19, 2009, 06:08:08 pm
Hello, my first post here.
Please be patient, my english is rather bad. You were warned ;)
Not so long ago i started to draw for C64 again. I used ifli (3 colors+background for line of 8pxl char.) unfortunately.
From simple lineart, i quickly started to fill empty areas with colors and then with pixels. It was quite fun, but mindless also - effect: flat picture without perspective and lighting. (I don't comment idea [there is none ;) ] and composition - with i'm satisfied enough)
It looks like that:

After some time i removed background - as too flat, and work some more on details. Also changed palette to more reliable.

What to do next?, what is wrong?  -  i have some ideas but it don't help picture much, i think...
I need to ad some space to it, second and third plane, and change things that are wrong - with I, after so many time spent on it - just cant catch.

Ah, and one more problem - as i said before its ifli (interlaced fli - it flicks) - its quite nice for pixeling but on real machine, with those small details, single lines etc. it looks like shit.. How to manage with flickering? Someone help?
picture name is horror vacui - you know why.. ;)
in second screenshot restrictions are not corrected, but there are few.

even few words could help :)
thanks!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:54:45 pm by jok »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [Wip] first c64 ifli picture - help needed

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:04:50 pm
When it comes to fixing lighting problems - adding depth with highlights and shadows, all you do is a quick paint-over to get started.

-Import the pic into a decent image editing program, no matter how complex; doesn't matter what it is.

-Now reach deep into your soul and pull out a lighting solution for your image - determine where your lightsource(s) are and therefore where shadow/highlights should be.

-Just start brushing in shadows where needed, preferrably on another layer. Don't worry about pixel art, you're making a test pic, a guide if you will. Use whatever tools necessary, as many colors as desired. I typically just use brush strokes of transparent black and white.

-You'll notice contrast increasing and things beginning to pop.

-You can do shadows and highs at the same time, but I tend to do shadows first - anyway, finish applying all that you'll know where you need to change your lighting. Don't be afraid to lose details to dense shadow, it's often necessary. Keep important subject well-lit if possible.

And you're already using a lot of your darkest grey and dark blue, so you all you really got is black to make anything darker.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:13:24 am by Mathias »

Offline jok

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint gallery

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:46:55 pm
Thanks Mathias :)
I think that  i could go in comic style in shading - like on left arm of first person, or to (more common on c64 scene) shading style like on his forehead. No idea what better.
Comic style fixes much of interlace problem thought.
I will use one global light form right up (like it mostly is on first figure)

When finished what you see now, i was to lazy to add 'real' source of light, because it costs to repaint nearly all i've done.
But it seems that is no hide from it... ;)

And with that black to use for adding more contrast - you have right  - now i think same.
I had that idea before, but was no sure - since its all with 1pxl outline

thanks again

someone else? :)

(and one note - if someone wants : feel free to correct me if is something wrong with my english)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:54:16 pm by jok »

Offline jok

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:27:02 am
update:

I decided to try comic style- cleaned up the mess around, and corrected light a little - think is better now. or not? ;)
some minor changes to
(shapes and shadows are not optimized, just to see how it looks like)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:45:49 am

Hey jok,

I kindof think your image has a general allure to it that makes me curious where you intend to go with it.

When i see the difference between the composition presented in the first image vs the flatter approach taken to your more recent updates, i have to be honest in saying that i feel i rather appreciate your original arrangement moreso than the most recent attempt. While i agree that your form needs some more depth and purpose behind them? (think primitives here, use arcs, circles, cones, boxes etc to block out the form of your environment), i think the overall flow of your original environment was interesting. id say expand upon that (though i do appreciate the pants you added to the character in the middle ground.

I do suggest that you take the time to really pay attention to the forms in your illustration. Theyre ultimately the focal point and will draw attention from the eye during initial investigation. You seem to have a bit of a whacky, distorted perspective that i think can work pretty well in this image. i did just a little form draw-over to suggest how to consider depth and perspective to give your image some more visual strength. the guy in the foreground looks like hes kindof awkwardly bent or falling over or something. If you can imagine how your reflection would look if you were to look at yourself in a reflective metal ball, and then imagine holding that ball at waist level, i think that warped perspective would work well on that creature in purple.

I cant really tell what the guy in the middle ground is doing, but he could also be pushed further into the background, giving some space between him and the archer in the foreground by giving him a bit more foreshortened appendages. I didnt edit the guy in the background with the arrow sticking out of his skull as i feel that in general he could be just all around smaller or faded in some way that would indicate theres a substantial amount of distance from him and the offending archer in the foreground.

Regardless of how you render the characters i think your arching shapes in the background are a decent start to wrap these characters together in something that resembles unification. in your latest mockup they all seem rather detached and subsequently unrelated to each other.

Offline jok

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint gallery

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:17:33 pm

small update + some new ideas
Thanks StOven, its very helpfull, (but forced me to digg dictionary ;) - i will answer soon and give more details too.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:41:40 pm
Hello! :)

Have you called it quits already?  I think your image comes along pretty nicely.  Haven't seen the updated version before, it's a real improvement!  Must tell you it solves quite a few issues I had with the original piece; mainly the weird shading/dithering technique I wasn't really a fan of.  I don't really know whether this slightly more realistic style (esp. in terms of general shading, folds rendering etc.) you're after right now will suit the psychedelic ambiance better, but I urge you to try your hand at the new background!  Anyway, it's always a nice warm-up before striking with something more complicated.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:43:55 pm by johnnyspade »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy