AuthorTopic: (Nudity) Back with my female RPG base, better and improved... I hope!  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Beoran

• View Profile
Edit: Latest version is on the right:

Edit: Progression from the beginning to now:

Hey, I'm still working (very slowly) on my big Action RPG, and I'm currently refining my RPG base once again. I've finally decided to follow the advice I got before, and stop faking depth. In stead, I focused on making the character readable, feminine, and as attractive as I could within the style I'm looking for and within my skills. I'm fairly happy with the result you see above, but I'm open to any suggestions. I think I really have to learn how to be less perfectionist, though, as I'm still working on the same sprite frame I was working on 6 months ago >_<  see http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7075.0).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:35:01 am by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile
Looks good.

I think the transition between the upper and lower legs should be less pronounced. The knees look too dark and segmented. Also, the second darkest skin tone could be warmer. It looks a bit muddy. Finally, there's some pillowing around the hips and thighs. Watch out for that.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
I've been slowly learning anatomy in my attempts to work up good sprite bases too - still struggling with shoulders too broad, breasts that'd break anyone's back and feet that look like fat kit-kat type biscuits you'd split and dip in tea as a kid, personally.

Is it possible you've given your lady there too much leg above the knee?

That last thread you were in was pretty fantastic for all the critique you were getting in it, plenty of good reading material. Might get more bites if that was updated instead for showing the transition from where you were to where you are - and then I could post in it without necro-ing. XD
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I doubt that the legs are too much above the knee, but i would say that there is probably an issue there.  the knees, the division is too much, and there's no actual knee.  insert one to boost the length and shape of the leg I think, only a few pixels...

There's also some issue with the shapes.  there's a bit of bandy pillowy stuff as have been talked about, i suggest reading up on threads about developing shapes and forms without jagging up stuff. :).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
I'm struggling with legs myself. Will have to make another topic.

Question: Is the belly button really that high up?
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!

Offline Beoran

• View Profile
blumunkee, and ndchristie, yes there was some banding/pillow shading going on around the hips, but I didn't think it was that noticeable. My current stab at it (see above) should be an improvement. Although it corresponds to reality and the references I'm using, the lower legs were indeed a bit too dark and pronounced. I have to remember I want to go for a symbolical representation character style, and not a realistic one. ^_^ So I lightened them up and gave more distinction to the knee. As for the colors, they will be palette-rotated anyway (to make Asian, African, etc, characters) so they're less of an issue now. I'll optimize them once I really can't improve the shapes anymore.

Scriblette, I moved the knee up one pixel and it seems to come out rather well there. Nice find about the navel, it was too high up by 1 pixel! I lengthened the arms and torso by 1 pixel, but I forgot to shift the navel down. In my latest try, I shifted the navel down again. I'd love to see your try, so, please do make that thread! ^_^

Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
You could possibly even lower it one pixel more - but it looks better than before. :)

I might suggest that if you're setting out to create a whole bundle of sprites and aren't planning on having a naked lass leap about, you may want to use even fewer colours to speed up the process (or use existing colours differently). An example is how Alisa Christopher (aka Tana) did a set of large sprites here.

My thread is under YARBLE in this forum, around yours. :)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Just wanted to give a little edit to see what it might look like with the shoulders pulled in a bit and the hips pulled out a bit and separating some of that space in between the crotch.

just trying to soften the figure a bit. at the moment from my perspective its looking a bit androgenous. shoulders looking a little big and calves are a bit thick. I know its a bit tough at that size but perhaps try toning some of the masculine features down a bit?

Offline Beoran

• View Profile
Scriblette, if you read the old thread you'd see that I do not exclude nudity, so, I can't simplifying anything. But the link you gave is useful, it helps me keep in mind which positions and frames I'll need. I also answered in your thread.

st0ven, I can see your point about my sprite being somewhat androgynous. Perhaps the shoulders have to be less wide, however it's difficult to do whilst preserving the outline. I'm going for that classic outlined style (reference: http://www.videogamesprites.net/ChronoTrigger/Party/Marle/Marle%20(Front).gif) Unfortunately, what your doing loses the outline, which means it doesn't quite work against a light background, IMHO. (See below) Also, I think the heavy eyebrows and open, thinner legs make it look more masculine again. Women tend to have have rather wide thighs and hips. ^_^

However, I do like the improved breasts of your edit.  The shading you use is very soft... perhaps I should work on my shading a bit more. I also kind of like the main skin tone you've used. I'll wait for some more comments and make another edit based upon your and other people's comments.

Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I agree with what st0ven's doing in terms of pixelwork and the upper body, but at the same time I think the adjusted legs are going to be hell for a number of reasons.  1 - the space between the legs is going to make animation awkward, it's really better just to lose it.  2 - those straighter legs give you no room to have good outlines, as evidenced by that wicked jag.  it's a lot easier to move 4 pixels over a given space than 2.  I still think there's a little awkwardness in the leg shape but it's nothing that can't be settled.

Here's a shot, i sorta spliced the edit with the original.  At this size it sounds funny but i actually do recommend these penguin-flipper arms, they have nice curve, animate easy, and take away the incredible bitch that is drawing hands at medium res.

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.