AuthorTopic: WIP~Tree-Water-Grass!!  (Read 11020 times)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: WIP~Tree-Water-Grass!!

Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 08:34:09 pm
There's something about the scaling in this piece that seems odd to me. It's clear in my opinion that the hills are quite large, and yet the detail in the grass becomes apparent with only minimal distance, and then we get the rocks which seem smaller still, and the tree. If those hills are the size i would imagine, a tree on them would look about 2-5 pixels high - comparing that to the tree close to the screen which must be about 600 pixels high you can see why i find this odd.

Moving the land on the closest side of the river upwards, making it seem like raised ground, will help this a lot - as well as taking the blades of the grass and flowers out of the detail of the far side of the river.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 08:44:08 pm
I just removed the outlines...
Are you talking about the clouds??

No, I was referring to hills and the tree as well. What you did was smoothing the outlines, not removing them - here's a quick example of outlines removal:

BTW: doing the edit revealed that there are 55 colours in the picture, but that's too much for a piece that basically has just blue, green and brown ramps. If you optimize that (say, bring it to 16 or less colors), working on the picture would become easier and the result would look more beautiful ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:27:09 am by saimo »

Offline fucbillgates

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 10:36:14 pm
Larwick::
How can i get perspective to look right??
Keep in mind the overall three section idea that I'm working towards.
So i would be standing next to a ant looking into the distance out pass the
sky into space.

saimo::
I'm only working on the hills "One chunk
at a time" So I only did aa on the clouds and
some of the hills.

Offline fucbillgates

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 10:55:12 pm
Ok,
I gave removing the outlines another try and i reduced the
picture to 19 colors for everything.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 11:05:10 pm
 :P you still have outlines if all of the cloud is wrapped in a color. this time it's a weak gray. I rather liked the colors before the reduction, if lowering them will make destroy the fuzzy hills in the distance I'd wait. I haven't really found working with a larger palette hinders me, if it's organized well in a palette window there's no need for a reduction that will hurt the art.

I thought your previous outlines were very good. Like, it's farther away so therefore the lines are fuzzier and less concise...

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 11:55:35 pm
Larwick::
How can i get perspective to look right??

Moving the land on the closest side of the river upwards, making it seem like raised ground, will help this a lot - as well as taking the blades of the grass and flowers out of the detail of the far side of the river.

At the moment, to me (although possibly only me, if no one else has suggested it, you may want another opinion) the river is about a mile wide and the flowers on the other side are the size of trees.

Keep in mind the overall three section idea that I'm working towards.
So i would be standing next to a ant looking into the distance out pass the
sky into space.

I don't quite understand.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 05:04:34 pm
Try rereading his posts larwick, the intention is that the scene zooms in as you go lower, so the artistic freedom takes preference over actual perspective imo. I don't see how a perfect perspective would be able to achieve the micro macro thing he is going for.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 05:10:50 pm
Oh right okay. Well i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

If i was to do something as experimental as that i would probably stretch it all the way. Make the closest side of the river become the edges of a puddle, the tree forming out of a grass stem etc. It just all seems so confusing at the moment to me.  :-X

Oh wait i apologise, i didn't follow this thread so completely missed the point of the piece and the fact there was going to be 3. Ignore me.

Offline Tsukasa

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 08:59:49 pm

Thought I'd point some stuff out...also, sorry for the Oekaki-ness but it's just basic fixes to show the reflection and other stuff (horizon definition)
I didn't even see the that there are flowers on the other side they are so tiny :)
This pic has quite some potential, I know I didn't fix everything, as water is very very hard to do but I did my best (even though it's late here)

Hope I helped a bit

Offline fucbillgates

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 09:31:40 pm
Thanks, that helps a lot.

I'm gonna post a update later on.