AuthorTopic: non-exclusive AA  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

non-exclusive AA

on: June 16, 2009, 01:35:33 am
For those of you who own Vista, you know that for modern programs there's these super-biff icons with kick arse AA.  But that anti-alaising seems to change depending on what's behind it.  I don't understand how that works.  How would I make an icon that has anti-alaising that perfectly matches whatever is behind it?  Does anyone know about this?  Is it programming?  Does Vista automatically do this?

what's up with that?

btw I'm not completely sure what non-exclusive means, so I hope the title isn't misleading.  If it is, please tell me what I could use instead...   :ouch:  I suck with English.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: non-exclusive AA

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:47:22 am
It's because the icons have an alpha channel. In other words, each pixel can be transparent, opaque, or somewhere in between. :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:16:34 am
Yeah, it's semi-transparent pixels. I've done some pixel art with semi-transparent AA in the past, you should try it, it's real fun exercise.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:22:17 pm
Ah, oks.  Any enlightenment as to how it's done?  Does Graphics Gale do this? *experiments*
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:43:51 pm by Shrike »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:38:15 pm
The most commonly used formats that can handle semi-transparency (usually called alpha transparency) are .ico formats and PNG

GraphicsGale can work with alpha transparency, try looking it up in the manual. It's also in the menu under Image -> Add/Make/Delete/Invert/Duplicate Alpha Channel

I prefer doing things in photoshop though, so I don't know if GG knows how to properly save alpha channeled PNGs or Icons. I usually don't touch pixel art with photoshop, this one's an exception though, since these more powerful options of GG tend to be more cumbersome than the PS equivalent.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:44:42 pm
Well, I've found an alpha channel option in the menu like you've said, but in the layer options there's an option as well.  I'm working with it now.