AuthorTopic: [WIP] Top-Down RPG Character  (Read 6862 times)

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Top-Down RPG Character

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 07:22:53 pm
I don't think you meant to do this, but in your post those..are the exact same ones as before.
he most likely overwrote the old files in his directory.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 07:42:48 pm
Great volumes!

I would AA the sword on east against his chest and the horizontal strip of his helmet on both east and west - I would assume that even from that angle it would be thicker, so like, a light green atop the white strip might do it. :) It's just these things that make him not look consistent throughout all views.

Offline pokoto

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 07:55:40 pm
Corsair, 36005A is right. A cache empty would fix the issue. Luckily for you, I went ahead and fixed it for you.  ;D

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 06:46:09 am

I threw this together as a bit of an example to illustrate one main point.

In small rpg sprites where you only have 20-30 pixels height to render your detail, contrast becomes your vital ally. I tried not to stray too far from your color choice and character design and put together a little example to illustrate my point. This concept should work with or without a perimeter outline (that i decided to add) but the basics of light and shadow become much more interesting to portray in such small spaces.

remember that every pixel counts, and it will count more if there is greater contrast or change from one pixel to its neighbor pixel. subtle blends tend to fade or blur a character sprite at this size. This is one of the common threads youll find with the 'great' sprites from the older super nintendo Jrpg days where all their character sprites really pop.