AuthorTopic: Portrait of a girl  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Portrait of a girl

on: February 15, 2006, 09:54:13 pm
I don't really feel that this should warrant a topic, as this piece isn't finished yet... but I'm so unsure about it that I don't know what to do.  Her left arm is done, or, at least I FEEL it should be done.  But I can't stop editing it, and I don't seem to be getting anywhere.  I feel like I'm using too many colors, or that I'm not using the colors wisely.  It just doesn't feel done to me.  Any critiwues or comments or suggestion or whatever about it would be great

Any other crtis about this piece would be appreciated, too, of course.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: Portrait of a girl

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 07:12:12 am
Add a lighter skin shade that adds a bit of bluish... err, less saturation so in relation to the current colors, you can get a subtle sheen light... and don't apply it all along the arm like the other shades which are dangerously close to being pillowy.

The cleavage seems too apparent. Go more subtle, and see if you can shade the breasts at all. perhaps at the edges of the cloth.

The lilac color is a little bright/dayglow. If you want a more cartoony look, then other colors (skin tones) will need more contrast.

Get some highlights in the hair. I think this piece is great and you just need to get back into the mood to finish.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 01:44:27 am
I've been working on it with the time I can find...

Thanks for the crits, Pep.   I don't understand what you mean by a sheen of light... like a very light highlight?  I'll add a highlight to the hair when I get a solid head down.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the face and head structure.  Now, she's supposed to look mean...  I edited the face a lot, but I hate how it came out... and I tried making a new one.  Should I go with the newest, or go back to the one I had in the first version?

[EDIT]  I just want to mention that this is still very much a WIP, the face on the body right now will not do, I know, unless someone can point out what specifically I'm doing wrong with it...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 05:53:58 am by Darien »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:42:42 am
Erm...
She looks super-drunk.
Is she supposed to look mean (as in Angry or sinister) or devilish (as in seductive or mischevous)? If the former, then you might want to get rid of the sideways smile in favor of a subtle frown.
The eyes should be squinty angry, not deleriously uneven.
Oh, and I suggest you change heads to the newer one for just plain mean mean.

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 04:55:08 am
haha, thats hilarious dude.
but seriously, everything is real nice, except the face, which xion already covered.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 05:12:09 am
Erm...
She looks super-drunk.
Is she supposed to look mean (as in Angry or sinister) or devilish (as in seductive or mischevous)?

Seductive and mischevous.  And, heh, I didn't notice how she looked smashed... but she definately does.

I'm leaning towards going back to the very first face and editing that... but I just can't seem to get a smirk to work.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 05:47:22 am
Well, I made an edit. It sorta strays away from your style though, but there are a few things I wanted to point out with it.

Lowered the position of the eyes a bit. Thinned lips, though if you want full lips, sorry, I can't help you there. Left side of her hair has more strands added, and the shading changed a bit. Overall, I super-simplified it. Forgive me.

I hadn't pixeled a sexy lady recently...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 06:09:14 am

I, too made an edit. Sorry, I strayed from the seductive mean, but I guess I got carried away.
Just showing a few things you could change I guess.
I lowered the eyes, plumpened the cheeks, and made some other major edits to the face.
I also changed the neck obviously.
Some other, minor changes as well.

She looks sorta thoughtful/innocent now...but oh well.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 06:29:42 am
Jesus Horatio Christ, Xion. She also looks about 95 years old!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 07:07:05 am
i had a quick go at fixing up the face

i think its a few steps in the right direction.. wasnt sure where the lightsource was, so i tried to keep it the same as how u did the head

edit-
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 09:21:24 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise