AuthorTopic: transparent PNG's  (Read 6402 times)

Offline eckered

• View Profile

transparent PNG's

on: June 14, 2009, 05:32:53 pm
Im working on skinning a demo (the one in the challenges forum), and the graphics im editing over are in .png format.
since i do most of my pixel pushing in ms paint (d'oh), I don't really have the know-how about creating transparent PNG's. 

My question is this: is there a simple program (such as giffy) that handles transparency in .png's?  if not, what is my best bet for creating them?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: transparent PNG's

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:33:59 am
have you tried http://www.iaza.com/ ?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:33:47 pm
I'm fighting the urge to ask why you use Paint if it makes you install extra applications just to make something transparent. Why not just start using another pixel art tool?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:13:53 pm
Yikes dude, you need to expand your software pool. Transparency was solved by cavemen. Gimp is free, and it just got a big overhaul.

Offline eckered

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:28:27 pm
i use paint because i like its simplicity and stability (no crashes, etc).

i solved my problem my using an icon creating program called "iconxp", google it if anyone else is in need ;)
thanks for the help!

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:26:55 pm
Just about all the other programs don't crash. I don't think I've had graphics gale crash on me in over 5 years of using it. Have a look at Paint.net(google it). I'm sure you'll like it and it even has layers.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:34:00 am
Just about all the other programs don't crash. I don't think I've had graphics gale crash on me in over 5 years of using it. Have a look at Paint.net(google it). I'm sure you'll like it and it even has layers.

Seconded.  But GG has layers too  :P
Graphics Gale (GG) is free too btw.  I forget what changes when you buy it, I've had the full version so long.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:09 pm
edit: Oh crap, just saw you've solved your problem already!

Since you're asking about a simple app, what follows may not be very helpful to you; but anyway -- I'll try. ;)

Pro Motion by Jan Zimmermann/Cosmigo (look up Google) is a really wonderful software, and it handles alpha layers within .PNG files. One problem is that you'd have to carry an additional mask-or-something file with your .PNGs, which is not a comfortable option considering its pragmatic usage in games.

Anyway, it sure IS possible (using some coding magic) to have one color in an indexed 8-bit .PNG that is 50% transparent.  You might ask a coder, or anyone in your team who handles programming to look closer at the matter, since it would probably take one.

I'd suggest converting to .GIFs, then. :/
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 12:21:28 am
I've been using Iaza as well. For some reason when I set the background to transparent in Graphics Gale and save it as a PNG, it just makes the background white. If I save as a GIF with transparency, the background remains whatever colour it was to start with.

I'll have to try adding an alpha channel, removing the background and then saving, and see if that does the trick... testing... okay, that DEFINITELY works. Hooray! :D

ProMotion can be VERY confusing to use, and I'm yet to figure out how 'index painting' can actually be useful. I've heard some reasons but haven't had luck putting it in action and actually saving time for quality.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 03:48:37 pm
Scribblette, for transparencey with GraphicsGale, you need to set the transparency via frame, not layer.