AuthorTopic: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread  (Read 46566 times)

Offline RadiationGloves.Drugs

• All praise the holy Flying Spaghetti Monster
    • View Profile

Re: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread

Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 10:17:04 pm
For HCC3 (and possibly 4, 5, 6, etc) you could have a field leading off from the borderedges of HCCs 1 and 2.

Now, I realize that the tiles on the border edges might just have a solid color leading off from it, so it might be difficult to get an idea from the adjacent tile (which is the whole point of the HCC) but I figure that we could give it a shot, and it might make a very interesting finished product.

just a thought.
Iamaminimalist.

Offline Mathias

• im not real
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #61 on: October 29, 2009, 12:34:09 am
Holy crap, epic idea there Argyle! I actually kinda like it . . . hmmmm . . . would it work . . . is there enough support/interest to make it happen? I don't know. I will lend my support to it if it ever lifts off the ground.

For the resultant new printed vinyl wall-covering I'm going to charge that old corpse of a pope dearly for the job, more than Michelangelo ever dreamed!

____

Thinking more about your idea after coming back to this post. I have further thoughts to add/augment. But I first want to conduct a sort of "feasibility study". If it's results are negative there's no sense in wasting time pondering it further.

1) ptoing owns the whole concept, and he's also the one spearheading and responsible for the project so far. His consent is required.

2) Probably already determined, will there be enough support for it? Judging from the first two hex collabs, it's a definite yes, imo.

3) Details. All technicalities need to be well established beforehand. We can't enter such a project unprepared.

One of my foremost thoughts includes making not only the final interlocking 7 hex collabs (once all 7 are done) blend seamlessly, but also making the whole 7 large cluster tile with itself, seamlessly. If Hex3 is started before this aspect is worked out and it's not accounted for, it may be too late to make it work (haven't done a test yet but am pretty sure), since there will too many non-tiling sides.
Once the Hex1 collab was finished I made a seamless filing texture of it. ptoing created the hex grid perfectly, it fits into itself on all 6 sides. Of course, the seams were evident where opposite sides didn't blend. But if my idea works and it's used then this problem will be solved and we'll all have a seamlessly tiling texture of pixel art seven times large than just one hex collab. Think about that.

If there is real interest in this I want to create an explanatory animation outlining how it will work, probably in good ol' Flash.

Please post your thoughts. This is major.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Carl Douglas

Reply #62 on: October 29, 2009, 03:33:09 am
Just adding a thought I had on this concept before I go to bed while it is fresh on my mind.  I didn't consider that both of the corpses have colors in common already (black and white for sure, perhaps some other values are recycled but I'd have to go back and check) so the color count of the hybrid corpses would be even less drastic than originally accounted for.   :y:

Great expansion on this Mathias!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:35:30 am by Argyle »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #63 on: October 29, 2009, 11:58:31 am
I like the idea, BUT, I would rather make it an own cycle and make new ones and not use the 1st and current running one for this. Mainly because the 1st is already revealed.

It would be a good project to do with smaller fields. i think the next under 91 tiles is 61, which seems a nice size for this.
I also agree with Mathias that it would be nice if stuff tiles around the outer edges with itself. Obviously this would not be straight html doable tiling, but it could be done with a flash applet in the end no problem.

I have an idea for a very small 3rd corpse after the current one and then I would be up for doing this project, next year :)

EDIT

how stuff would have to tile

EDIT Deux:
The problem here is that now every hexblock touches every other hexblock which would fuck with the palettes D:

EDIT Tres:
This would only be a problem if we had more than one 16 colour palette and more than one 32 colour one, if that is not the case it should work :o
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:39:44 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #64 on: October 29, 2009, 01:11:46 pm
The problem with that diagram ptoing is that there is no transition fields, you should have them arranged by rows and have one row be rainbow varied like you have, while the next just shares some colors between the row above and the row below. that make any sense?  :mean:

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #65 on: October 29, 2009, 01:15:25 pm
no

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #66 on: October 29, 2009, 09:12:39 pm
thought so  ::)

I think instead of having each field have a completely different color from those adjacent to it like in your picture, we should have some tiles between each field specifically for the purpose of bridging the pallete. how bout that? :-\

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: October 29, 2009, 09:15:32 pm
wat wat? I think you understand the pic I made wrong.

The different coloured blocks are seperate corpses, which then get combined. The numbers in the middle is amount of colours.

Offline Mathias

• im not real
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: November 09, 2009, 03:22:16 pm
Hmm, but an inherent and troublesome problem now is that there will 16, 32 and 48 color tiles next to eachother. The 16 color palette tile will look "gritty" compared to the smooth 48 color tile.
Like a website with a large sliced image and some of it's comprising images are highly jpg optimized while others are perfect quality - a stark image quality difference and therefore visible seams.

And I was wrong about the whole thing tiling like I thought it would. It is possible to create a square tiling section of what you've got there ptoing, but the tile would be ridiculously huge and unreasonalbe, at least that was my conclusion after some hasty tests I'm not satisfied with and will work on more sometime soon. Like you say, it's possible to create some scripted presentation of it that offsets each "chunk" correctly.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:24:33 pm by Mathias »

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #69 on: November 09, 2009, 04:33:47 pm
wat wat? I think you understand the pic I made wrong.

The different coloured blocks are seperate corpses, which then get combined. The numbers in the middle is amount of colours.

I think I understand what conceit was trying to say.. hopefully this diagram represents his comments.

The coloured hexagonal areas are individual collabs, each using a 16 colour palette. The grey tiles in between them form a 'bridge' and only those tiles utilise both (or all three) neighbouring palettes (as shown by the colour indicators in the middle of the grey hexes)

The grey 'bridge tiles' can be done as a separate challenge to link a couple of hex collabs. Perhaps where anyone can attempt them and the best tiles from that challenge are then used as the bridge tiles.

This way, any collab can use any palette and you don't have to worry about repeating a palette to keep the colour count in a more central collab down. In your diagram, although your central one has 48 colours, that would mean that several collabs around it need to a lot of the same colours. This is perhaps a little limiting from a design point of view, and perhaps less of a challenge than using a fresh unfamiliar palette.

-Z-
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:38:50 pm by Zoggles »

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(