AuthorTopic: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread  (Read 69838 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Hexquisite Corpse Suggestion Thread

Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 03:01:35 pm
A side scroller Collab would be great! An entire game level divided into parts where the only rule would be to continue a way in and out of your tile for the character to pass through.

Then maybe someone would write up a demo or something and we'd be able to play through our creation.

Offline pgil

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 04:18:29 pm
A sidescroller level would be really cool. Would it be a straight left-ro right mario style thing, or something  more freeform?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 04:39:04 pm
If a square grid was used, there would be four possible openings. If a hexagonal grid was used, six. It would probably devolve into a mess if everyone used every side as a way out. I think if we just use our best judgement, a more freeform level would emerge, without a mess. Of course, a few people could create open areas consisting of more than one tile, not just corridors.

Seeing as to how doing animations for big boss baddies is out of the question in a static image, the gameplay would probably be something akin to "get all the coins without dying". I think the members here at pixelation could come up with some pretty fantastic obstacles. Building off of that, maybe each person gets a certain number of coins to put in their tile. Upgrades to player abilities would be cool but they would require more planning and wouldn't really fit into an exquisite corpse type setting. Static enemies in a tile would preferrably have 2 frame animations for their moving, like a walking goomba-type floor scrubber or a wing blur on an insect like enemy.

Things to be predetermined: Jump height, character height, number of "coins" per tile

A square grid lends better to a linear platformer, because there are less ways to branch out. But I don't think anyone wants to stray from the cute portmanteau "Hexquisite".

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 04:35:35 am
Sounds like fun, Atnas. But personally I'd rather do another open-ended no-holds-barred image where perspective, scale etc aren't subject to constraints like that. I'd prefer the end-result to look less like a game and more a like an art print.

Would it be so bad to just do another one, the same way? Maybe alter the tile layout a little.

LODYblokady

Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 11:12:00 am
Sounds like fun, Atnas. But personally I'd rather do another open-ended no-holds-barred image where perspective, scale etc aren't subject to constraints like that. I'd prefer the end-result to look less like a game and more a like an art print.

Would it be so bad to just do another one, the same way? Maybe alter the tile layout a little.

An interesting concept could be to do a 3d rotating ball of hexagons

you'd need a flash script to make it work but end results would be amazing.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 01:58:09 pm
Sure, Mathias. I'm just throwing an idea out there, I'm for any kind of exquisite corpse. As long as I'm doing pixel art, I'm happy!

LODY, this is a hugely impractical and outlandish feature creep, but HOLY SHIT WHAT IF on the 3d ball made of hexagons were basic lowpoly structures coming up, textured with pixel art? @u@

LODYblokady

Reply #46 on: June 28, 2009, 07:13:17 pm
Sure, Mathias. I'm just throwing an idea out there, I'm for any kind of exquisite corpse. As long as I'm doing pixel art, I'm happy!

LODY, this is a hugely impractical and outlandish feature creep, but HOLY SHIT WHAT IF on the 3d ball made of hexagons were basic lowpoly structures coming up, textured with pixel art? @u@

:}

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #47 on: June 28, 2009, 09:53:02 pm
I'd absolutely love a sidescroller collab.

However, this is the Hexquisite collab topic =P And out of all the new suggestions, I think I personally prefer the one we started out with; just with different colours, a different theme, and maybe a set perspective to keep it together...

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: June 28, 2009, 10:41:11 pm
Well, the sidescroller collab would be made of hexagons and have a set perspective. :3

I want another like the last one, though, it was just madness.

As far as palettes go, I'm with Overkill on Arne's 8 color palette.

Edit:

Quote from: ptoing
The palettes should be either 16 or 32 colours
well then
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:45:15 pm by Atnas »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #49 on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:27 pm
could be 8 colours as well I guess, but less than that would not be that good an idea for a collab like this.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.