AuthorTopic: [♥] WARNING: the following thread contains naughty images D:  (Read 4797 times)

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile
    • My deviantART portfolio
NOTE: This series features very dark humour. If you are easily offended, I suggest you click back and don't visit this thread again. This is not meant to generate hatred nor is it targeted at making anyone specific feel bad, it's all done in good humour. This is not meant to be a political statement.

With that said ...

Link: http://jennifuh.deviantart.com/art/RAPE-of-the-OUTLET-125428555
"I think he likes twins."

Link: http://jennifuh.deviantart.com/art/The-Toast-Holocaust-125553703
"Hey, what smells so good?"

Link: http://jennifuh.deviantart.com/art/Liposuction-for-Apples-125638630
"I think this colour makes me look fat.

Like my stuff? Visit my site. :]
www.jennifuh.deviantart.com

Offline Pixelfish

• View Profile
I actually think these are pretty funny, not very offensive. The caption for the first one is just hilarious, IMO.
TBH, though, I think perhaps you have relied too heavily on gradients, and isometric design. Also, it seems that while the images have a relatively good grasp on lighting, not much is taken into account for shadows. The apple is one of the only things in the image that can't be drawn in the isometric formula the way everything else is, and I think that is what is most lacking here. You should do yourself a favor and abandon the dithering. It can work, but until it works without the dithering, it likely will appear to be a cover up.
Don't be afraid to freehand the lights on the apple. you want subtle vertical streaks and glossy highlights, with speckles throughout. Definitely want to up the contrast there, could probably do it with fewer shades and a single, maybe 2 highlight shades.
You are on the right track here without a doubt, I like the style and the sense of humor is fantastic. Try to start designating a larger three dimensional space where you can account for a single (and in the future multiple) light source(s), and then draw highlights and shadows based on that. Don't be afraid to look at references for things like apples, too. You don't have to be photorealistic, but it's healthy to train your eye on what things really look like, and how light really interacts.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:15:36 pm by Pixelfish »

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile
Mmm, I've never really tried dithering before so I wanted to see how that would change my coloring. In the first one, a girl said she like it and it also looks like a gradient on the plug so I decided to use it for the rest. Sorry what'd you mean by TBH? It doesn't seem like "to be honest" in the context. Ouhh you're right! No one's ever pointed that out to me before, I totally forgot about shadows *smacks forehead*. Yeah the half of the apple looks a bit boring, definitely should've added highlights. Hm, never considered the challenge of multiple light sources .. that'd be interesting. Thanks for all this! All I've gotten so far from people is "AWHH CUTE" or something along those lines. :P

And some girl got insulted, saying that her grandmother survived the holocaust and that this wasn't funny and should be removed. So from that point. I decided to include a warning. xD

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile
You should use reference for what you're drawing, also use AA to give everything a smoother feel, also not everything need to be dithered. More contrast as well, alot of wasted colors.

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile
Sorry, new to this, what's AA?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
Others on the board could explain it much better than me, but AA is short for Anti-Aliasing. In pixel art it describes the artist using pixels to try to fake smaller pixels, or sub pixel elements. It can be used to smooth the edges of outlines, and that is probably the case that Bengoshia refers to. if you search for AA in these forums I'm sure you can find some helpful examples. Or just look at some of the pieces that are showcased here.

jenifuhhhh
( had to say it out loud)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

jenifuhhhh
( had to say it out loud)

And yet you did type it

This here be my edit, mainly focused on the orange cord guy. Because I like orange things with retard smiles (no srsly?)

This is just a suggestion that I'm throwing out, rest assured that I don't even know if this is the right direction to take. It's just that I see tendencies in your work that focus on smoothing things out and rendering in that kind of manner with gradients and such - something that certainly does work with pixel art, but at the same time in my opinion may clash with the pure jaggy line art that pixel art inevitably produces. So check out what I did on the speech bubble with the heart (AA, anti-alias), the orange guy (thicker outlines called for AA also, I feel it's a bit over-aa'd, if you do like me and don't even play around with variable line-width or something, then might as well go with vector, I guess) (oh, and the different rendering used on the cord) and the upper power outlet O: (AA again)

What I'd suggest if anything is to use more solid blocks of color and scale things down to half the size so you can take advantage of the inherent symbolism that small faces drawn on small areas of pixels provide. Well, that's it I guess. Sorry about fudging up the background, but ya know : D I just wanted to show you some pixeltrix (WHAT A COOL WORD JAD)

Well thassit, feel free to ask something or anything regarding my edit. Oh also i think it's fun that you started this with a disclaimer and ended the first post with advertising : D. Feels very corporationy or something x3
' _ '

Offline jennifuh

• View Profile
Ouhh thanks. I like the changes to the smile and the heart .. I'll have to take a close look at that to see just what you did. I'll prob have to google up some AA tutorials or something to understand. Mmm, yeah the dark orange outline is really thick o.o Would look alright if it matched the outlet. Heh, seems like I have a lot to learn.

Offline Joel

• View Profile
Ouhh thanks. I like the changes to the smile and the heart .. I'll have to take a close look at that to see just what you did. I'll prob have to google up some AA tutorials or something to understand. Mmm, yeah the dark orange outline is really thick o.o Would look alright if it matched the outlet. Heh, seems like I have a lot to learn.

http://www.spriteart.com/tutorials/

There is relevant tutorials here, it's an old directory for st0ven's dead site. All of the tutorials are useful to look at.