AuthorTopic: Anatomy Break  (Read 25567 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: Boss Update3

Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 04:42:22 pm
Nope, Maya. I have used Blender before though, it seems very powerful for a freeware program. Just got used to Maya ages ago with the PLE and have stuck with it since then. I have to say the boss has improved a LOT since it's first incarnation. The stripes on the joint on the middle leg break up its form a bit, I'd shade it a bit more solidly. I'd also try to add a bit more interest to the main hull and laser bulb thingies. Like pipes and plates and little panels, just so it's more interesting to look at. Do an image search for industrial robot or something along those lines for some ideas.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Boss detail

Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 06:32:10 am
I thought I'd try and fix the shading first on the laser orbs before adding detail bits. Then read a comic and got distracted. But I did try and work out the lighting though. Just to get them to match the rest of the piece though. I am going to try and get this thing in a different pose. With the arms chained to a wall. The other grey detail there is the back legs joint piece. Looking at it though, the attempted shading doesn't look right. Or the shape. But the single color doesn't look right though. I'll try applying the same shading as the rounded attachment connecting thing to it. Here it is though. Gonna try and work on boss 2, and some more backdrops for this area.

I didn't want to do a huge image this time cause I thought people would want to see what I worked on. Not the whole thing again.

Thanks again all.

As always, how'd I do?

Edit: I meant no disrespect to your crit though. I hope it didn't seem like that.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 03:20:40 am by xhunterko »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Rehash v.2

Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 08:31:38 pm
I hope I picked up something from my reading. Maybe a little bit.

I've also been working on the boss for a bit which I'll upload later. (after 11pm central) At work at the moment and I can't finish it. I just realized I forgot the tail. But that's not a big deal considering the mnor impact it has on the actual anatomy. Did I acheive anything?

CnC please.

(Sorry if this counts as a necro-bump, wasn't sure.)

Btw. I was wondering about superscript and subscript. The reason is I have a large amount of images on the first post and they are about to get much larger. I knew some forums have a collapsing 'hide' option for part of the text or images.  Can I do that here with the scripts or do we not support it? Or am I gonna have to find an html workaround? If it exists.
Thanks.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Boss Detail 2

Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 07:56:58 pm
Apparently, majhost was down this morning.

I am probably going to leave the orbs open but unactivated. Ans I may not keep this pose at all. I wanted to have the impression of it being chained to the wall and then breaking loose and attacking. I can still do that with the current pose I think. This one looks a little lifeless at best.

CnC as usual.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:12:35 pm by xhunterko »

Offline Halloween_Cloud

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 06:09:15 pm
I love seeing how the "robot" evolves!

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #45 on: July 27, 2009, 07:04:04 am
If the boss has multiple instances in which you fight him, I think it would be pretty cool to fight him like this, in which he can use the unactivated orbs as wrecking balls to smash the player with.

By the way, keep up the good work, much improvement. That glass dome needs some work, though. Throw in some highlights/speculars, I'm not sure. Research how glass works, and work on the form a bit. It looks flat/unfinished. (which it might be, anyway)

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #46 on: July 27, 2009, 07:35:13 am
Right now the palette lacks contrast. That along with the relatively uniform distance between shading bands is flattening out the rounded volumes. I didn't do any editing to the actual shading, but I cranked the contrast in photoshop, which should give a better idea of what I mean.

Also, made some sloppy edits to the dome, and one of the orbs, to suggest more volume.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: July 27, 2009, 11:11:25 pm
@Dr.D - No, the orbs were supposed to "wake up" after the player enters the boss room. Are you agreeing with LoTekk about the contrast issue when you say it looks flat/unfinished? (It's supposed to be a prototype, so that may be a factor. But I thought I had plenty of shading in there with the correct light source.) And thanks btw.

@LoTekk: Looking at some of your 3d work atm if you don't mind. :) I see what you did with the orb. But he's on a relatively dark blue background that I didn't want to put him in with this edit. Is that where your getting the yellowish light shift on the bottom right? Which in turn, would make it the darker blue shade correct? I'm a bit hesitant to change with values and saturation because I get "yelled at" almost each time. So I went with much softer values. I'll have to check to see what you did though. Thanks you though!
 (A bit off topic but I couldn't help myself. You have some excellent models on there. But I think that some of the shoulders and the elbows could be a bit more rounded. Unless your going for a low tech look. (no pun intended).

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: July 27, 2009, 11:20:09 pm
the biggest flaw I see isnt the values or colors or anything of that nature. It is that you seem to not grasp how to properly shade objects. most of what you have lacks depth, or any 3d element at all. if you look at lotekk's edit of the hand...thing, you can see that it looks like an orb, not just a circle. things are drawn as if not to even be a 3d object portrayed in a 2d scene, which makes no sense to me if youre going to go so far as to add a back leg. This can be easily helped by just looking at any object (save, maybe paper.) notice how the light hits it, and how different curves and joints and surfaces react to the light. Please don't take this the wrong way, I just don't believe you're seeing what people are really critiqing.

Offline fucbillgates

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 05:48:03 pm
Your light source is coming from the top left on the spheres
and the top right on the glass.
You should make sure your light is all coming from
the same direction.

You could increase the contrast on the colors
but only if you want to.

And notice how i made the metal near the
main glass dome more blue because the glass
dome would reflect some light onto the metal.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:54:28 pm by fucbillgates »