AuthorTopic: Anatomy Break  (Read 25380 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Jake Bonfire crit discussion

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 10:49:09 pm
The following is another rework!

What I did was change a bit of the anatomy around a bit. I also fiddled some with the foot shading. I did some various sorts of tweaking by using a clobbering of arne's(?) palettes. I thought that would help address some of the issues. I also did a edit with a black outline and liked it a bit. So I toned it down and only outlined in a few places that I thought needed it.

So, your thoughts?
CnC please!

(I hope I fixed some of the problems that gil mentioned. I think I at least solved the cohesion and shading a bit.)

Offline gandhi420

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 10:57:51 pm
here's a little update i made for fun.

your newest update looks better but i think you're still using too many colors. you need to work on simplifying the shading and unifying the palette.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:00:54 pm by gandhi420 »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 06:11:57 pm
Hello there, and welcome to pixelation! I'm not ignoring you by not responding right away, work is killer. But enough of that. I am not sure why, but I do not like the two color theme that people seem to be trying to point me towards. Perhaps it's cause I'm more used to the newer console classic games rather then the older dos ones. But anyway, I hooked this up into grafix2.0 and did a little color reduction.

8 colors I think. Granted the swap is not perfect, but is this the sort of point that I need to try to get to? I also noticed it left the dark outline. Which helps the sprites stand out a bit more. In an earlier edit I tried to 'use darkest shade' effect as an outline but that made them look softer. I have done a little bit of fiddling with it and trying to get a concept out of it.

CnC please
(btw, grafix2 has some nice palette features, any tips for using them would be appreciated.)

Touch up of the above

18 colors
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:43:15 pm by xhunterko »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Jake Bonfire crit discussion (animation up)

Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 06:55:22 am
I am going to kill that title screen in the murder thread. It's really driving me crazy. Aside from that, having liked the shading and all from the previous edits, I decided to try a little on animation. :)

I apologize for the quickness, but my net curfew is coming up and i wanted to post this today. (And I'm ready to crap on the gimp, I don't remember it bieng that annoying to use.) Anyway, I have mainly concentrated on the legs as it is. I have taken out the tail and haven't done any other detail work on it due to difficulty. I'm trying to figure out how to make the legs connect with the body better then they are. (Probably a copy paste error on my part.) And there's something about the shading that's bothering me, I can't seem to get it to look right. I tried to avoid some common problems such as jerky frames, uneven bounces, and swivel hips. How does it look?

CnC please

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 09:44:37 pm
Here's what I would do with the character. It's a small sprite so readability is key, so I mainly played with that by changing around contrast and lighting. I changed his posture a bit to make it a bit more stable. The colors were heavily saturated so I gave it a bit softer wash while keeping the same scheme and elements that gave the original its character.   :o

edit: image tags aren't really working right now for me so there's the link

http://img60.imageshack.us/i/hunteredit.gif/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:47:21 pm by JWW »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 10:18:11 pm
Dang, that's a nice edit. I think I see what your trying to do there. That's one of the fewer examples of a light source coming from that direction that I've seen. I'm trying to stay within some limits but it couldn't hurt to change some things. I'll play with it over the weekend here and see if I can't come up with something like that. In one of my edits I have a leg darkened. But it didn't stand out in the background I'm using and forgot to change it to a lighter color in this one. Anyway, thank you for the edit!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:48:22 am by xhunterko »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Jake Bonfire crit discussion (newer edits up, sigh)

Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 06:49:28 am
I think I may be the only person on here to take two steps forward and then regress three steps back! I was able to read a few things before I got interrupted. (Part of this is response to Bengoisha's message.) When I started this re-edit, I kept thinking 'basic shapes, basic shapes'. I hope I haven't utterly failed at tacking excellent advice. What do you think? Sprite or fail?

(as always, cnc please)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Jake Bonfire crit discussion (newer edits up, sigh)

Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 04:28:53 am
Thought I'd try a different pose for an avatar on another site I use. What do you think?

I've also been trying to work on a cop car for a level. It ended up being part van. So I'm gonna have to look up some refs and tuts on that subject. Stupid me.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 04:49:15 am
you should really drop the inner outlines or try colouring them (inner and outer), just shade them like you would the rest of the character, except a shade darker, as they stand they are really counter productive in showing the volumes of the character. If you MUST keep the outlines, be consistent and do the headband.

As for this last pose, what's he doing? looks like he could be leaning against a wall, in which case the headband is in the wall and his centre of balance is completely wrong. In any case (his) left leg is too long and out of perspective.

And I'm gonna make the same suggestion that's been hinted at in a few edits, drop the highlight shade, its just noisy and not helping the readability at all.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 05:32:42 am
I had been doing a darker color outline and wanted to switch back to black. I see that's a bad idea. I'll have to look for references of people leaning against the wall. I should probably do that before I started. I probably should've kept the lesser color form with this one too. I was trying something different for this pose. I'll take a look at some refs and hopefully get it right

Thank you though.