AuthorTopic: dump time  (Read 30641 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

dump time

on: June 09, 2009, 01:35:13 pm
I'm always kind of edgy about posting stuff here because I know it means I'll have no rest for days but its usually worthwhile so whatev.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: dump time

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:54:05 pm
Little dude man has the Deadbird arm effect now. Wow, the caped dude is nice. Can't remember his name right now, something Joe maybe. I definitely prefer the second palette. Oh, it's more than just a different palette isn't it . . . hmm, not sure why you posted both then - the second version's contrast puts the first's to shame. Biggest complaint on him is the cape, it looks like . . . oh wait, no that's hair isn't it? Like some Mega Man X chars. Ok. I recommend trying some shading beyond just a dithered gradient. There's no dither anywhere else on him.

LODYblokady

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:44 pm
=Wow, the caped dude is nice. Can't remember his name right now, something Joe maybe. I definitely prefer the second palette. Oh, it's more than just a different palette isn't it . . . hmm, not sure why you posted both then - the second version's contrast puts the first's to shame. Biggest complaint on him is the cape, it looks like . . . oh wait, no that's hair isn't it?=

Second is with the cell shaded comic effect as in game. The cape in the game looks pretty much exactly like aswell. Also his name is Viewtiful Joe  :lol:

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:51 pm
I prefer the second one too, its being made for the fantasy smash project on tsr, the first one is for fitting in with smash bros, the second for viewtiful joe. I'll try and fix the deadbird thing when I figure out what that means  :P
edit: I give up, what does it mean?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:02:52 pm
. . . I'll try and fix the deadbird thing when I figure out what that means  :P
edit: I give up, what does it mean?

Hehe, sorry just an obscure reference to ryu's thread.
I thought you'd possibly gleaned the concept from his pic there, the crazy pink right arm. And I mean 'gleaned' as in what all artists do, in drawing upon other things for inspiration, so don't worry; not an accusation in the least. Heck, seeing ryu's char there makes me want to draw something with one massive awesome arm. Of course, the fiddler crab beat everyone to this concept.

I like it the way you've got it. Though, it would really complement the powerful appearance of the glowing/burning metal arm add-on thing if the dude's idle animation became more extreme - panting and writhing where he stands, as if he's under the strain of lots of power and he's actively trying to keep it contained.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:44 pm
ohhhh, that deadbird. I get it. by the way the white parts are a literal exoskeleton, though it's hard to tell at this size. Also, he will have a more beastly idle, this is just a design sprite.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:17:34 am

run anim
now you may say "Tuna you lazy bum, do an actual run animation" but this wasn't actually me being lazy, it just seemed to be the best way to convey the general attitude of the character into a run. Also, I'm going to add several directions of movement and stopping and starting anims. yay.
also if anyone who can actually skateboard well could give me some crits on the stance that would be rad.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 08:30:15 am

blah blah blah
also if anyone who can actually skateboard well could give me some crits on the stance that would be rad.
:]

I think the most obvious thin I can point out is the skateboard, it looks like something from the early 90s. The most common shape is a symmetrical round nose/tail. While the tail/nose do "pop" up a little they aren't that exaggerated, they also "pop" the same height.
When you skateboard you kick/pump more than you just glide. Might want to have him constantly kicking/pumping, otherwise the speed won't make sense. He'd jump on the skateboard move a couple meters and then he wouldn't be going anywhere.It might be beneficial for you to watch some skate videos. Even though they're mostly about the tricks you'll see that they're almost always crouched unless there's a cute girl around or they want to look cool. That's how it was for me at least. So bend them knees.
The knees shouldn't be pointing backward either. Not that much at least. His knee would be pointing at us/the camera. The front leg would undoubtedly be pointing forward.

I hope this helps. :]

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35:48 pm
I knew I forgot something

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 02:12:41 pm