AuthorTopic: dump time  (Read 30651 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: dump time

Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 06:34:09 pm
Gil- aside from the last one, where I can see the flaws pretty clearly, would you mind pointing some of them out?
Mathias- any ideas?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 06:43:16 pm
I was also talking mainly about the last one. His foot doesn't seem to hit the ground when kicking. It makes me wonder if the top one has the same problem, but you wouldn't notice it because the foot is obscured.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 08:55:38 pm
okay, I was aware of that. Also, it doesn't apply to the top one, dun worry.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 09:38:22 pm
Well, first of all I like some things about tehwexx's edit, but you're past the design stage and are working on giving the character a full set of frames now, so you can't realistically implement much of his edit, expect his palette maybe, which I kinda like.

---Oh yeah, his foot doesn't touch the ground at all, when pushing it gets level with that white line on the board, the side of it. Didn't notice that before. Hehe, this reminds me of Marty from Back to the Future. Take off those wheels, add some random bobbing floatiness and yer in business! Ok . . . no don't do that.
I always liked the exaggerated proportions of the dude with respect to his skateboard but now it looks like it's a detriment, unless you get really creative maybe. What I'm acknowledging is that the skatebaord is obviously over-sized; it's almost as long as he is tall. How does a small child properly sit in a chair too large and still plant his feet on the ground? The obvious adjustment fix is make his foot come down all the way to the ground, which I'm guessin' would be 1 pixel below the wheels' bottom pixels. That'll leave him needing to have elastic legs or bending down more to get his foot all that way when pushing off. And it's important to get that foot flat on the ground, so no tippy-toeing.

Unless his hoody is connected to his belt in the back, how is it not catching wind and flailing out more than it is? Try adding a little dramatic rippling to it. This may require adding frames.

Speed lines?

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 11:52:15 pm
The funny thing is I actually could make it a hoverboard as the story has time travel  :P
but anyway, does this fix it (the board and hood I mean)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 01:58:51 am
The problem is in the wheels. They're so big that the height of the board would measure up to his knees almost. I suggest shaving at least a pixel off the wheels.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 02:54:12 am
Even though I feel my first edit was quite rudely unappreciated, I've come back for more....

I think this addresses the problems that Gil was talking about. Also, I've made the whole sweatshirt ripple in the wind instead of just the bottom and the hood. Additionally, I took out the "not-an-ollie" because it didn't make any sense and it just seemed like a cop-out for doing a more interesting animation....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:05:15 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 03:02:16 am
sorry dude, I did like your edit, you were just kind of taking it in a different direction than I wanted stylistically. I agree that this one fixes a lot of issues so I'll take lots more cues from this one.
edit: that turned out loads better

also, on a different note

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:57:24 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 05:13:36 am

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 06:12:49 am
Yep, those wheel edits should make the other animations a lot easier.

Loving the new guys, but I'm a bit worried about cohesion if these are meant to be in the same space. Try finding a style point and applying it to the new stuff.