AuthorTopic: dump time  (Read 30318 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: dump time

Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 06:32:39 pm
I dissagree Quake, that would just make it obnoxious to watch all the time. A little variation is good, but too much and and it turns into annoying jigglery of board.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 06:43:26 pm
Make much and chose the best one then  :)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 06:50:26 pm

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:08 pm
IS he doing an ollie now?

Like to get off the floor.
If he is, he'd need more power on the tail to give enough force for it to "pop" up.
you then slide your foot up and make the board flat. Gravity does the rest.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 07:58:43 pm
its just a little bump to add some variety, knowing me when I get to tricks it'll be something more ridiculous and flashy than an ollie.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 08:12:29 pm
I usually do it just for, you know, mobility, so my own movements aren't a very good reference  :durr:

edit: also, although this isn't strictly pixelart related, I need some help deciding how the control scheme for this guy while running will work. Obviously his running will work differently than most characters as you can steer and all. I was thinking that, since most characters will have a running jump that is the equivalent of a dash (like TMNT4), his version of that would be the push. However, this would make platforming downright painful. There will be three buttons available (jump, attack 1, and attack 2) so I need to think of a way to make it unique, easy to attack with, and easy to jump off of. I think the best scheme I've come up with is attack one being a quick attack that retains your momentum, attack 2 being a vertical attack that dismounts you off the board, jump being some kind of long jump trick (which you can follow up into a dismount from if you do attack 2 in midair) if you're moving and just a normal jump off the board if you're going slow. Movement would be automatic and tapping forward would be push. Any other ideas are welcome.

Edit2: post deletes make things confusing
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:31:00 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 11:42:04 pm
shrug.exe

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 03:45:02 am
I didn't want to look a good while for videos and the accident ones show too many accidents. This video does show some proper form, leg stance, some tricks, and the correct way to push a skateboard. I didn't listen to it but it's mostly a reference for drawing so soudn wouldn't do much good. Take it how you will. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qTa09jho-s

There's a few things that bother me though that's worth mentioning. The legs seems to be forced to go way around the other leg to push on the other side. The way the arm looks make it appear to be stunted from the odd angle it's at. The pushing leg needs to push on the opposite side it's doing now. It also looks like his shirt is on backwards there a bit. I'm not up on the latest skate positions, but does the front foot need to be turned in like that? Also, check out gil's edit again. He's pointed out some animation things that I can't. The sprite looks nice. Overall the animation and pose need to be corrected a bit. Don't let the "character" of the sprite stop you from making needed changes. That happened in one of your earlier threads.

(Hopefully I can shut up and take some of my own advice now.)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 04:11:14 am

There's a few things that bother me though that's worth mentioning. The legs seems to be forced to go way around the other leg to push on the other side.
what?
The way the arm looks make it appear to be stunted from the odd angle it's at.
The pushing leg needs to push on the opposite side it's doing now.
so he should face backwards when he pushes... of course
It also looks like his shirt is on backwards there a bit.
how?
 I'm not up on the latest skate positions, but does the front foot need to be turned in like that?
yeah, look at the video posted earlier

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: June 13, 2009, 04:41:39 am
Hm, maybe I should look at things zoomed in before I post. It's a little bit hard to tell things going on at 100x. I was just looking at the older sprites and it seemed as if you had the view backwards or something. Ah well, my bad then. Ignore me.