AuthorTopic: dump time  (Read 30320 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

dump time

on: June 09, 2009, 01:35:13 pm
I'm always kind of edgy about posting stuff here because I know it means I'll have no rest for days but its usually worthwhile so whatev.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: dump time

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:54:05 pm
Little dude man has the Deadbird arm effect now. Wow, the caped dude is nice. Can't remember his name right now, something Joe maybe. I definitely prefer the second palette. Oh, it's more than just a different palette isn't it . . . hmm, not sure why you posted both then - the second version's contrast puts the first's to shame. Biggest complaint on him is the cape, it looks like . . . oh wait, no that's hair isn't it? Like some Mega Man X chars. Ok. I recommend trying some shading beyond just a dithered gradient. There's no dither anywhere else on him.

LODYblokady

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:44 pm
=Wow, the caped dude is nice. Can't remember his name right now, something Joe maybe. I definitely prefer the second palette. Oh, it's more than just a different palette isn't it . . . hmm, not sure why you posted both then - the second version's contrast puts the first's to shame. Biggest complaint on him is the cape, it looks like . . . oh wait, no that's hair isn't it?=

Second is with the cell shaded comic effect as in game. The cape in the game looks pretty much exactly like aswell. Also his name is Viewtiful Joe  :lol:

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:51 pm
I prefer the second one too, its being made for the fantasy smash project on tsr, the first one is for fitting in with smash bros, the second for viewtiful joe. I'll try and fix the deadbird thing when I figure out what that means  :P
edit: I give up, what does it mean?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:02:52 pm
. . . I'll try and fix the deadbird thing when I figure out what that means  :P
edit: I give up, what does it mean?

Hehe, sorry just an obscure reference to ryu's thread.
I thought you'd possibly gleaned the concept from his pic there, the crazy pink right arm. And I mean 'gleaned' as in what all artists do, in drawing upon other things for inspiration, so don't worry; not an accusation in the least. Heck, seeing ryu's char there makes me want to draw something with one massive awesome arm. Of course, the fiddler crab beat everyone to this concept.

I like it the way you've got it. Though, it would really complement the powerful appearance of the glowing/burning metal arm add-on thing if the dude's idle animation became more extreme - panting and writhing where he stands, as if he's under the strain of lots of power and he's actively trying to keep it contained.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:44 pm
ohhhh, that deadbird. I get it. by the way the white parts are a literal exoskeleton, though it's hard to tell at this size. Also, he will have a more beastly idle, this is just a design sprite.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:17:34 am

run anim
now you may say "Tuna you lazy bum, do an actual run animation" but this wasn't actually me being lazy, it just seemed to be the best way to convey the general attitude of the character into a run. Also, I'm going to add several directions of movement and stopping and starting anims. yay.
also if anyone who can actually skateboard well could give me some crits on the stance that would be rad.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 08:30:15 am

blah blah blah
also if anyone who can actually skateboard well could give me some crits on the stance that would be rad.
:]

I think the most obvious thin I can point out is the skateboard, it looks like something from the early 90s. The most common shape is a symmetrical round nose/tail. While the tail/nose do "pop" up a little they aren't that exaggerated, they also "pop" the same height.
When you skateboard you kick/pump more than you just glide. Might want to have him constantly kicking/pumping, otherwise the speed won't make sense. He'd jump on the skateboard move a couple meters and then he wouldn't be going anywhere.It might be beneficial for you to watch some skate videos. Even though they're mostly about the tricks you'll see that they're almost always crouched unless there's a cute girl around or they want to look cool. That's how it was for me at least. So bend them knees.
The knees shouldn't be pointing backward either. Not that much at least. His knee would be pointing at us/the camera. The front leg would undoubtedly be pointing forward.

I hope this helps. :]

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35:48 pm
I knew I forgot something

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 02:12:41 pm

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 03:19:09 pm
That is a horribly awkward way to push. Have you looked at any references? There are thousands of skate videos on youtube.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 03:23:46 pm
cool ones !
about your guy,the board seems to be too huge for your guy,and the stance he's taking on the skateboard is not correct,if you're aiming to keep it going fast it's supposed to look like this :

as well as the push,
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:06:03 pm by hsn2555 »
Be Like no other

Offline Keith

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 03:25:18 pm
I thought the cape was some sort of jet exhaust system. I'd suggest clarifying that by making the cape not move quite as much or not so bright where it connects to the character. Plus the cape is distracting my attention away from the character.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 04:28:20 pm
I thought the cape was some sort of jet exhaust system. I'd suggest clarifying that by making the cape not move quite as much or not so bright where it connects to the character.
or/and give it dark outlines like the rest of the sprite.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 10:25:32 pm
keith/reo- that's how it is in viewtiful joe. look it up.
akira- unfortunately all of them are of tricks, none show any pushing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:36:22 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 11:28:51 pm
keith/reo- that's how it is in viewtiful joe. look it up.

no reason for you to not try and improve things...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 02:16:45 am
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-learn-the-basics-of-skateboarding-276671/

12 seconds of searching and there's a dozen others that show all about pushoff and kicking on the first page of results.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 01:46:12 pm

the arm movement needs work
edit:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 02:12:02 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 08:06:04 pm
It looks really unconvincing as far as skateboarding goes, you're better off completely redoing the animation and finding a good reference. I don't think you will achieve a proper result by further finetuning of this one. The proper keyframes are just not there.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 10:32:22 pm
Yes, the biggest issue I have with the skateboard push is that people don't stand sideways while pushing. A proper skateboard push would have some frames in it that look very similar to a run animation. Something sort of like this. Imagine ... I don't know, image standing on a towel on the floor and pushing yourself forward with the other foot, or something, and try to observe the orientation of your body. While actively pushing forward, you're going to end up completely facing the direction you're trying to go.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 07:57:28 am
Firstly, he's riding goofy, I don't know if you intended that but I find it an odd choice because from my experience more people ride regular, and the fact that he rides goofy obviously makes it so that his back is always towards the viewer. I don't know if you intend this to be for a game but since it's a character sprite, and its animated in a " hey I'm going through a level of somesort " way I'll comment as if it was. With the back being towards the viewer it's an odd connotation as it would be more " game proper" to have his front facing and acknowledging us. As for the animation, as Rox said when he's pushing his body should be directly facing where he's going, which would translate into a straight profile. You also may want him to crouch down even a bit more, as I personally drop down a bit in height when I push to get more power into it and then when I put my foot on I straighten up; I don't know if all skaters do that though :p

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 08:20:53 am

the arm movement needs work
edit:
It's getting more groove.
Yet it's still very static on the ground, i suggest you add some little bumps of the skate board that the guy would compensate with his knees, like a real street surfer.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 01:58:57 pm
Ryumaru- I realize that. That's because I ride goofy and I plan on modeling his entire character based on that, particularly because he fights mainly with kicks.
Pype- umm... I have no idea what you mean by that.

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 04:06:22 pm

Pype- umm... I have no idea what you mean by that.
He means like a stone or just a bump in the way that would make the skateboard jump a little bit which would make the character bend his knees in the air while maintaining the skateboard under his feet.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 04:54:40 pm

euuuugh

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 06:02:36 pm
Yeah, if you are going to go with that idea, you need to be putting a little more work into it.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 06:04:42 pm
oh... ok. now I feel like an idiot. anyway, how's this for keyframes
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:11:00 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 06:09:52 pm
Yeah, now you've got it :). Here's where I would take it. The push needs to be stronger, followthrough longer. Obviously lengthen the time between each kick too, but you know that.

Pretty lousy keyframe edit, but it should carry the message I guess.

BTW, I think the goofy stance is cool, showing the back of the character adds some character to it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:12:12 pm by Gil »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 06:14:03 pm
most of the strength and all will be added with tweening. also

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 06:15:53 pm
What is he doing in that new animation?

i'm guessing going over a bump, if so he'd need to bring the nose of the board higher.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 06:32:39 pm
I dissagree Quake, that would just make it obnoxious to watch all the time. A little variation is good, but too much and and it turns into annoying jigglery of board.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 06:43:26 pm
Make much and chose the best one then  :)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 06:50:26 pm

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:08 pm
IS he doing an ollie now?

Like to get off the floor.
If he is, he'd need more power on the tail to give enough force for it to "pop" up.
you then slide your foot up and make the board flat. Gravity does the rest.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 07:58:43 pm
its just a little bump to add some variety, knowing me when I get to tricks it'll be something more ridiculous and flashy than an ollie.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 08:12:29 pm
I usually do it just for, you know, mobility, so my own movements aren't a very good reference  :durr:

edit: also, although this isn't strictly pixelart related, I need some help deciding how the control scheme for this guy while running will work. Obviously his running will work differently than most characters as you can steer and all. I was thinking that, since most characters will have a running jump that is the equivalent of a dash (like TMNT4), his version of that would be the push. However, this would make platforming downright painful. There will be three buttons available (jump, attack 1, and attack 2) so I need to think of a way to make it unique, easy to attack with, and easy to jump off of. I think the best scheme I've come up with is attack one being a quick attack that retains your momentum, attack 2 being a vertical attack that dismounts you off the board, jump being some kind of long jump trick (which you can follow up into a dismount from if you do attack 2 in midair) if you're moving and just a normal jump off the board if you're going slow. Movement would be automatic and tapping forward would be push. Any other ideas are welcome.

Edit2: post deletes make things confusing
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:31:00 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 11:42:04 pm
shrug.exe

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 03:45:02 am
I didn't want to look a good while for videos and the accident ones show too many accidents. This video does show some proper form, leg stance, some tricks, and the correct way to push a skateboard. I didn't listen to it but it's mostly a reference for drawing so soudn wouldn't do much good. Take it how you will. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qTa09jho-s

There's a few things that bother me though that's worth mentioning. The legs seems to be forced to go way around the other leg to push on the other side. The way the arm looks make it appear to be stunted from the odd angle it's at. The pushing leg needs to push on the opposite side it's doing now. It also looks like his shirt is on backwards there a bit. I'm not up on the latest skate positions, but does the front foot need to be turned in like that? Also, check out gil's edit again. He's pointed out some animation things that I can't. The sprite looks nice. Overall the animation and pose need to be corrected a bit. Don't let the "character" of the sprite stop you from making needed changes. That happened in one of your earlier threads.

(Hopefully I can shut up and take some of my own advice now.)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 04:11:14 am

There's a few things that bother me though that's worth mentioning. The legs seems to be forced to go way around the other leg to push on the other side.
what?
The way the arm looks make it appear to be stunted from the odd angle it's at.
The pushing leg needs to push on the opposite side it's doing now.
so he should face backwards when he pushes... of course
It also looks like his shirt is on backwards there a bit.
how?
 I'm not up on the latest skate positions, but does the front foot need to be turned in like that?
yeah, look at the video posted earlier

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: June 13, 2009, 04:41:39 am
Hm, maybe I should look at things zoomed in before I post. It's a little bit hard to tell things going on at 100x. I was just looking at the older sprites and it seemed as if you had the view backwards or something. Ah well, my bad then. Ignore me.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #40 on: June 13, 2009, 01:15:45 pm
In that case I need to work on the clarity  :P
edit:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:39:22 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline eckered

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 04:49:43 pm
When i skateboard, I don't put my foot back on the board after every push, I push a few times consecutively and put my foot back on the board, and then coast for a little while ;)

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: June 13, 2009, 08:07:52 pm
I haven't got the know how about skate boards, but that one is freakishly big dude. If that was brought up already I apologise for skim reading.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: June 15, 2009, 03:27:17 am
eckered- I've checked and that's easily remedied by removing a few frames. I just prefer having all the frames in one animation.
Jim- I think I'm just going to change it into a longboard.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: June 15, 2009, 05:25:09 pm
The board looks slippery, his foot wouldn't be able to slide/turn like that. It looks really weird.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: June 15, 2009, 09:59:49 pm

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 11:23:07 am
Edit:

Hope this helps! Just ask me if you'd like anything explained....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:48:11 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 12:49:45 pm
he looks kind of teetery in that. I'll take some stuff from it but a lot of it doesn't really work for me tbh.

- still needs some editing
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:58:05 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 03:48:41 pm
I see stuff needing to be fixed, but to be honest? I love this <3

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 04:56:44 pm
would be kinda cool if the wheels indicated more movement. I had to zoom to notice your AA trick to make 'em look like they're spinning, it's too subtle. Though, you don't want to overdo it and it's such a small area, you're really limited I realize.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:42:06 pm by Mathias »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 06:34:09 pm
Gil- aside from the last one, where I can see the flaws pretty clearly, would you mind pointing some of them out?
Mathias- any ideas?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 06:43:16 pm
I was also talking mainly about the last one. His foot doesn't seem to hit the ground when kicking. It makes me wonder if the top one has the same problem, but you wouldn't notice it because the foot is obscured.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 08:55:38 pm
okay, I was aware of that. Also, it doesn't apply to the top one, dun worry.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 09:38:22 pm
Well, first of all I like some things about tehwexx's edit, but you're past the design stage and are working on giving the character a full set of frames now, so you can't realistically implement much of his edit, expect his palette maybe, which I kinda like.

---Oh yeah, his foot doesn't touch the ground at all, when pushing it gets level with that white line on the board, the side of it. Didn't notice that before. Hehe, this reminds me of Marty from Back to the Future. Take off those wheels, add some random bobbing floatiness and yer in business! Ok . . . no don't do that.
I always liked the exaggerated proportions of the dude with respect to his skateboard but now it looks like it's a detriment, unless you get really creative maybe. What I'm acknowledging is that the skatebaord is obviously over-sized; it's almost as long as he is tall. How does a small child properly sit in a chair too large and still plant his feet on the ground? The obvious adjustment fix is make his foot come down all the way to the ground, which I'm guessin' would be 1 pixel below the wheels' bottom pixels. That'll leave him needing to have elastic legs or bending down more to get his foot all that way when pushing off. And it's important to get that foot flat on the ground, so no tippy-toeing.

Unless his hoody is connected to his belt in the back, how is it not catching wind and flailing out more than it is? Try adding a little dramatic rippling to it. This may require adding frames.

Speed lines?

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 11:52:15 pm
The funny thing is I actually could make it a hoverboard as the story has time travel  :P
but anyway, does this fix it (the board and hood I mean)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 01:58:51 am
The problem is in the wheels. They're so big that the height of the board would measure up to his knees almost. I suggest shaving at least a pixel off the wheels.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 02:54:12 am
Even though I feel my first edit was quite rudely unappreciated, I've come back for more....

I think this addresses the problems that Gil was talking about. Also, I've made the whole sweatshirt ripple in the wind instead of just the bottom and the hood. Additionally, I took out the "not-an-ollie" because it didn't make any sense and it just seemed like a cop-out for doing a more interesting animation....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:05:15 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 03:02:16 am
sorry dude, I did like your edit, you were just kind of taking it in a different direction than I wanted stylistically. I agree that this one fixes a lot of issues so I'll take lots more cues from this one.
edit: that turned out loads better

also, on a different note

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:57:24 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 05:13:36 am

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 06:12:49 am
Yep, those wheel edits should make the other animations a lot easier.

Loving the new guys, but I'm a bit worried about cohesion if these are meant to be in the same space. Try finding a style point and applying it to the new stuff.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #60 on: June 17, 2009, 12:44:48 pm
What do you mean by a style point? Like a focal point that relates each of these to one style?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #61 on: June 17, 2009, 01:41:45 pm
Yeah, find similarities in pose structures, palettes, outline colours, etc and try to incorporate those in every image.

The green guy seems to be missing a secondary colour in the design to match the colour complexity of the skater. It needs either a hue shift in the green or a secondary highlight colour (a red chestlight for example).

The blonde cocky guy seems to lack the black outlines of the rest.

Try putting them in a mockup together?

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: June 17, 2009, 01:49:56 pm

here's a line up of every character so far (the last two weren't made by me, but are for the same project. Thanks drei)
They look like the same style to me but that's probably because I've stared at each of them for so long.

Also, just for the record, there's actually very few black outlines on anything so far, not that technicality actually matters with art.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:58:10 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: June 17, 2009, 05:53:02 pm
yeah, those last two are a different scale; not good

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #64 on: June 17, 2009, 06:14:39 pm
That, or, you know, less tall?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #65 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:14 pm
That, or, you know, less tall?

Thought of that, but actually appear scaled down a bit, proportionally. Wouldn't be hard to fix. As long as they don't already have a full sprite sheet or something.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:59:34 pm by Mathias »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:02 pm

any other characters that stand out?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: June 18, 2009, 12:31:21 am
The level of detail changes sprite to sprite. Boy with blue and red clothes has a face, yet the others don't.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: June 18, 2009, 02:00:58 am
green robo also has significantly less detail, and not by his material - i think he needs an extra shade, maybe a highlight or something, but he feels strange, almost like a smaller rescaled sprite jsut for how blocky he becomes pixel-wise (again, not a design thing but a drawing thing)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #69 on: June 18, 2009, 02:16:47 am
Also the second guy from the left (blue with armor), is I think a bit pillowshaded. The black lines all through his body aren't helping at all either.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #70 on: June 18, 2009, 04:36:50 am
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:40:35 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #71 on: June 18, 2009, 11:27:29 am
All your characters suffer from the same symptoms. Let's look at your predator-type dude there.

Your art at this size over-relies to outlines, doesn't use lighting to separate the different parts of the anatomy of the character, and is quite pillow shaded. There is a disregard to how pixel clusters work together that is indicative of sloppy work or uninformed work.

Most of all your art needs disambiguation. I need to look at your robot dude and be able to tell what everything is, what is leg, what is arm, what is just armor plating and what is tech gismo. You need to simplify and you need to use the palette so the bits of the character that have priority pop out. Instead of thinking 'I WILL OUTLINE THESE PANTS' you should be thinking of each pant leg as a volume that takes priority over the things that are behind it. You don't need dark outlines to convey volumes, in fact if anything they hurt the volumes, you need a proper understanding of how simple geometrics are shaded under different light conditions, and then you need to wrestle with making your pixels convey this.

The problem is that you work at such a res where pixel concerns are very tightly intertwined with real life art skills you lack about how volumes work and lights work and anatomy and such. You're hiding one behind the other. A single pixel here is very powerful, and what you mostly do with them is band and hug your lineart. Take the predator dude for example, and draw a pencil sketch of him, as accurate and detailed as you can, sorta like reverse concept art. Do that and then we can look at where you're failing to convey him in pixels. If however, your pencil sketch predator suffers from the same problems as your pixel art does (bad volumes, anatomy, priority confusion, posture) then it might be time to accept that there are fundamental studies you should be doing, not so much wrestling with pixels, at this stage.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: June 20, 2009, 02:40:00 pm

Okay, I think Drei and I fixed most of the issues (Han Solo's just there for size comparison) but to be completely honest I didn't fully understand some parts of your post.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: June 20, 2009, 05:28:41 pm
Well HOLY SHIT that's really drastic.

The light sources are inconsistent now. Really, though the new predator is more visually pleasing, by Spock's beard I do not think that is what Helm wanted you to get out of his critique. He looks really cool! But he is inconsistent with the other sprites. Not to mention any flipping will add to the confusion.

Much better anatomy, posture, and use of outline. But his whole contrast and lighting does not work with the other sprites. I suggest you apply what you learned when making him towards making another rendition with the same lighting as the other sprites. Also, because without the whole wacky lighting he is truthfully much better done, I think you'll want to go over your other sprites in the lineup.

Though honestly?

The problem is that you work at such a res where pixel concerns are very tightly intertwined with real life art skills you lack about how volumes work and lights work and anatomy and such. You're hiding one behind the other. A single pixel here is very powerful, and what you mostly do with them is band and hug your lineart. Take the predator dude for example, and draw a pencil sketch of him, as accurate and detailed as you can, sorta like reverse concept art. Do that and then we can look at where you're failing to convey him in pixels. If however, your pencil sketch predator suffers from the same problems as your pixel art does (bad volumes, anatomy, priority confusion, posture) then it might be time to accept that there are fundamental studies you should be doing, not so much wrestling with pixels, at this stage.

I saw the drawing you made of the predator guy on TIGSource and it's subject to all the flaws that Helm described. See, he suggested you do a detailed drawing. You drew a silhouette. Don't get me wrong, I'm merely inferring you drew him because of Helm's post. But I would assume anyone capable of doing so would be eager to draw all the juicy! happy! little mechanical parts and techy stuff.

I don't know why but this is something I've seen in nearly every thread you make. On Greaser guy you added heavy shadow to his face, concealing his features. On the run you made him turn into A BALL OF ENERGY. There's a consistent avoidance of specific things - namely the ones you aren't yet confident in rendering. It's better to fail than to not try at all, so lets see some awesome art from you!

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: June 20, 2009, 05:47:19 pm
That was all on the robot dude right? Anyway, I'm going for a darker, more atmospheric look with his levels. Like he took out the lights. I have been trying a few different styles with this guy and this was just the one I liked best. Also the drawing, while I did do it because helm asked me to, was more of a test with how the style would look in a drawing. I will do a more detailed roboty one. So in that case, I will try a more detailed, consistent version of the robot for practice, but chances are I'll stick with this one.
Edit: also, all I'll have to do for flipping is switch the yellow and blue.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:47:01 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #75 on: June 20, 2009, 11:44:04 pm
I hope you start dealing with fundamental issues soon and not eye candy because you might find yourself soon to be 25 years old or something and you still won't be able to draw human beings in believable situations and poses with any degree of confidence. Your pixel skills will be all flash and your animations super-tweened, but that'll just be hiding the elementary problems beneath the hood. It's happened to a lot of people.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: June 21, 2009, 01:06:59 am
I'm trying to but it takes time. I have been practicing and with these guys I tried to base them off human proportions in the most recent update.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: June 22, 2009, 04:30:40 pm

gonna work on some consistency issues now.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #78 on: June 22, 2009, 08:06:19 pm
Consistency would be good. Neat chars, tuna.

That first Han Solo looking guy is totally different from the others.    EDIT*  Whoops, I failed to read you already stated he's just for reference.
Green bot looks much better with that highlight kolour.

Are there any mockups yet? You really oughta be advancing environments along with chars at the same time, things are bound to change as you go.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:52:05 am by Mathias »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: June 23, 2009, 01:30:47 am
han solo is just there for height reference, I didn't make him. Also I'm still considering how to do the environments. I'm leaning towards hand painted.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #80 on: June 23, 2009, 01:44:05 am
I like your chap in tubes + vapor-helm-type-spacesuit, though the new darker version is very, very dark and hard to see detail on by comparison (though the colours are cool).

I hope you start dealing with fundamental issues soon and not eye candy because you might find yourself soon to be 25 years old or something and you still won't be able to draw human beings in believable situations and poses with any degree of confidence. Your pixel skills will be all flash and your animations super-tweened, but that'll just be hiding the elementary problems beneath the hood. It's happened to a lot of people.

*feels bad for all us over 25s who didn't actually start pixel art - or any kinda art - until after they were 25*

I don't suppose there's a page somewhere around here saying "Go learn this, this and that, expect it to take at least X years, then come back here and figure out why everyone moved to modelling/vector and how pixel art really isn't as easy or anywhere near as time-efficient as you thought it was LOL" by any chance... XD
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage