AuthorTopic: [WIP] Stasis | Game Dump! | BOSS DETAIL? Dx  (Read 19361 times)

Offline Joel

• View Profile
My apologies for blowing up your pixels and blurring them. Just did a quick resize in Photoshop so I could draw on them.

Arm: Currently the silhouette says to me extremely oversized deltoid (shoulder) muscles in comparison to anything else, seems to be no elbow joint and biceps and triceps are just stretched along either side of the arm. Without the elbow or notion of a joint, it looks like one continuous bone would run through the arm, just straight into the gun and I guess the gun has been built onto the end of the arm at an angle. I have outlined in red what seems more appropriate, perhaps the gun could be moved more along the forearm to accomodate for joint use. Elbow is fairly essential for the finished version to have realism.

Body: Did a quick sketch over the body of what I think I see right now and just an arm to better see the placement. The behemoth has no neck, but that's not so bad as with traps that big they would take over the neck anyway, especially when the head is bobbed down. Chest could be pushed out a little more. Back/lats aren't that big of an issue at a side on view theres not much you need to do for those. The abdominal muscles are squished as hell, but when we mutate like this they matter very little anyway. You did a good silhouette of the legs but if you want it to look really behemoth and mutated, you could shrink those to make the upper body look MASSIVE. Cause proportionately, the legs balance it out too much and if he stood up straight, he'd just looked like a ripped as giant rather than mutated and you know, like WIERDLY muscular. Like he developed muscles that don't normally exist with all these steroids and special treatments and scientific tests.

I hope this helps, I tried to share a bit of my knowledge but again I understand it's very hard to just pull this shit out of nowhere and make these improvements without doing the years of research/sketching/etc on muscles/anatomy. And even then, I don't know it that well. You did make good effort and improvement of the behemoth shape between your last post and the post before it though, so well done  :D

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile
Heck man, if you're going to give me this much help on my pixels, blur them to hell and back! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope now, that I can base more pixels off of what you have sketched...that was the point right? This is the type of visual I needed. You are so right about the elbow and the arm structure. And the body too! Thank you for the indepth  post and suggestions! Also, I'm a really skinny kid with small arms, so looking at myself for this didn't help me alot..I don't have any muscle to base form off of  :-[. But anyways, thanks for the help, and I'll see what I can fix and stuff. The only problem now is how to shade that stuff, with a frontal lightsource that matches the other characters. I have no idea how to shade this, heh. But yeah, I'll see what I can do; as Pawige said, I should do more to get more crits (Summary). Thanks so much, Joel! Thanks for taking the time to help this noob :D

Sokota

And if you have any suggestions for it design wise, that'd be great, since you seem to know exactly where I'm coming from.

Edit: And thanks for complimenting my progress. I didn't do a ton, but it did make a pretty noticeable difference. I was basing it off Hulk pictures and stuff. (The legs, mainly) And real people as well. Also, about the legs, so you think it would be better if they were smaller? I kinda wanted him to be beefed up everywhere, but I know what you mean. Give him a reason to hunch. But without good support, he'd collapse anyways, right? Minus the technology that I'ma throw on him (Wires, tubes, bands, etc).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:23:03 am by Sokota »

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Stasis | Game Dump | Behemoth and helicopter!

Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 02:09:19 am

Sorry about this? Apparently imageshack got hijacked or something? Could someone fully explain what they are talking about? Other than pissing off a ton of people and ruining half the images in this topic?

Sokota

I had to remove my avatar because it was that..message. Time to find a new host *shrugs*?

Edit: And now its fixed...

A mod can delete this post. Some hackers messed up imageshack (You'll probably see the message other places), so you can delete this post if you need too. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:11:33 am by Sokota »

Offline Joel

• View Profile
No problems, I don't personally do a lot of pixel anymore except for the occasional spriting for making little games in MMF, but as a traditional artist I'm constantly working on anatomy and bettering myself. Nice to share some of the knowledge for the greater good :P

As for shading, I just had a quick thought and you may be able to be steered in the right direction looking at Zangief from Street Fighter.

An excellent example of a muscly dude, both a NPA piece and a sprite I've posted just from Google Images. He's pretty gargantuan, though his form is fairly proportional and not distorted to the point of feeling he is a scientific experiment but definately a good place to start and learn from.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile
Okay well, I did this shading before you posted that Zangief reference. (Haven't played any Street Fighteres, by the way). Anyways, I won't be able to pixel a ton next week since I"m working at a campground, but this is what I did so far. I shaded the arm (Rather horribly..) and also worked on the overall form of the behemoth some more, trying to adhere to your sketch. I think it's going well. Take a look?

Sokota

Keep critting! I'm trying to take it all to heart..I am really am. I want this to be an epic enemy for our game!

Ignore the gun part as well. It will be redone somewhat to actually look like what it's supposed to look like, heh.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:17:52 am by Sokota »

Offline Monzae

• View Profile
Looking good, I would give him, like a small patch of gritty hair, as to show he's zombie like. Pushed beyond human.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Behemoth update..Please help? Joel where are you? XD

Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 08:31:59 am
Okay so I was gone for a week and just plugged another hour or so into this guy. I just started shading and stuff so I can get help, instead of someone doing it for me...soo, help me heh. Anyways, this is what I got so far, though it's less epic than the silhouette. Any ideas?

Sokota
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:33:47 am by Sokota »

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile
Bumpdate. Haven't done a ton, but I didn't try to work some on the head and stuff. I miss how the anatomy looked with the 'pants and pads' on him, as well as the kneepads, so I think he's actually going to be a bit naked...Minus hoses and technology plates and stuff...I need ideas and help with that. I also tried messing with veins just a little (Swatch next to manbreast lawls), and yeah... Because him being veiny would be so cool and so much more convincing, but my veins look like scratches or something. Also not sure how to handle the neck and such, and I'm not sure how to make the 'eyes' more round with the pixels I have to work with. Also the gasmask is a bit...bad? Any help or edits would be great. I'll continue to work more, but some help would be greatly appreciated! I mean, a ton! This sprite is stalling our game progress a bit so unless I get some help soon I'm just gonna have to work on other stuff.

Sokota

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Please help me with this miniboss D:

Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 05:53:18 am
Man I wish I could have more help on this...I think I'm going in the right direction but seriously, no replies D:! Anyways, here's some more work on him....

I worked on the head some. I fixed some stuff, played with the main 'eye', changed the shine on the metal thing, etc. The head above the main one has viens. Or what is supposed to be veins..But I couldn't really make em pop out. Probably put too many.

I worked on some of the torso stuff. I added an outline around the whole thing, and changed some of the inside shading lines and added some AA and shading tones on the inside.

The legs..*sigh*. I need so much help with the legs. I went around and removed one pixel to make them skinnier and stuff, like Joel suggested. I tried basing my shading off the Zangief sprite, but I can't seem to figure out where the muscle 'lines' go..Ohmygod. Forgot to look at Joel's drawing on my figure..I will work on this more but I hope to get some ideas/edits/comments!

Next update I will have totally reworked the armgun and stuff.

Sokota
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:58:29 am by Sokota »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Stasis | Game Dump! | BOSS DETAIL? Dx

Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 12:09:19 pm
You are moving in the right direction, but because your character is so dark, I would suggest replacing the white background with a grey one. I can barely see the interior of the muscleydude, so it will definitely help you to work on a neutral background as well.

The red eye orb things might benefit from adding a saturated red color for the interior line, the brown one kinda breaks them up just a bit too much and doesn't make a lot of sense.