AuthorTopic: [WIP] Stasis | Game Dump! | BOSS DETAIL? Dx  (Read 19355 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: [WIP] Sharptail Helicopter | Game

Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 06:30:14 pm
The only arm posted is for the black guy? It's a mouse aimer, so there are no arms for the other two guys (The more contrasted one is the updated one). Like I said, we can't go through yet another style update. I like the helicopter as it is. I just wish someone would make an edit, because to me, the proportions are perfect..

Sokota

Well then say that BEFORE you waste our time having us telling you something you already know.
Sorry if it sounds a little harsh, but it's the blunt truth.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:47:05 pm by Opacus »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:35:26 pm
Although that post sounded quite offensive Opacus, you are right. It's more negative for you than for us critiquers though, don't show stuff that looks like an error, or actually is one, that you already know about. People will point it out and will waste both yours and their time. Post stuff you think is the best you can get it, and people will point out stuff you didn't see before.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 08:09:36 pm
I don't get it? What did I say? I simply said, that I like the helicopter...I'm not afraid to change it but that is going to be a lot of work. Especially when I thought it looked exxaggerated already...Well screw it, I might as well just start animating the dang thing. Then I know I will get critique for something less general as "Change the proportions". Not that I'm trying to be ignorant or anything, I just don't understand how I pissed Opacus off. Also, I thought that the black arm to the right of the black guy would be explanatory that all people have arms attached...Anyways, I'm saying this out of confusion, not trying to start an argument.

Sokota

For me, the way to best fit the helicopter with the characters is to add subtle outlines. ]

EDIT: Besides, I posted the helicopter for critique, not the characters. I'm happy with them.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:11:36 pm by Sokota »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 08:58:01 pm
Allright, here's the deal. Don't worry you didn't piss me off :). Maybe just for a second, but probably only because I'm a bit stressed because of school.
That's besides the point.

The thing is: If you KNOW there are things wrong with your art, but you don't plan on changing it, say so from the start!
This makes sure that we don't say anything you already know, wasting your time. Or us giving critique invain, wasting our time.
Just make sure that you tell us everything you already know, to make sure we don't point it out again.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 12:11:43 am
Well I originally asked for help on form and details, and shading and AA, because the thing is pretty jaggy. Also, I know I'll get the hell critiqued out of the animation I am planning on attempting. (A crash sequence). I thought the proportions matched the characters; I just thought the styling was too realistic, not the proportions, so Ben's comment through me off...If I could have help on what I asked for, that would be great, however, I read every comment with some insight. Because of Pixelation, I started to try to stray from lines and get into forms instead, so thats why  the styles (Not proportions?) clash..

Sokota

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Stasis | Game Dump | Behemoth and helicopter!

Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 03:30:40 am
Okay so now that the helicopter is semi taken care of, (Will still accept crits: I'll be animating soonly), I need help with this behemoth:

So its so supposed to be a way over developed human being. Steroids, and a drug enhancement procedure of extreme conditions. But because I don't know a ton of human anatomy, it certainly isn't helping me with a giant's anatomy. Specially when he's ripped to the core and pretty ugly too. Also, he'll have technology strewn across him, to support his massive mass of muscle and bone. I need help with anatomy before moving on. He's supposed to be pretty much side on view, for a platfomer, etc. All anatomy help and ideas for him are welcome!

Sokota

Oh yeah no arms yet because those will be separate and animated separate as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:10:24 am by Sokota »

Offline Joel

• View Profile
My advice would be to do the research instead of asking the board, search up anatomy and muscle to begin with, and then I suggest finding reference of extreme steroid users, as that is the look you are going for. I'm talking like 40 inch biceps, chest the size of two buffalos, traps the size of beachballs, the whole lot. We can point you in the way, but you really need to do the background research on muscle/anatomy yourself to really understand it and to be able to distort it.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile
So I should do more before you guys crit? Or at least try? Will get on it.

Sokota

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum
Definitely, I think it's a huge mistake to churn out what you can and then just drop it here and think other people are going to improve it for you. Even when you do seem to be stuck somewhere and you post for help, don't stop trying to fix it! Think of yourself as a detective, or a scientist or something. You have to research, look things up, look at yourself, try to understand how the human body works. Use Google image search. Compare pictures of people to what you have right now. Try pixeling the picture you're using. Try sketching it out on paper. Explore the forms, lighting, outline, everything. Look at diagrams in anatomy charts. See how the muscles fit together. Look at yourself in a mirror. Stare at your friends and family. Look at comic book characters, they're not usually a good source for accurate anatomy but it might help you get started on basic muscle groups. Just put effort into figuring out how it's supposed to look!

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile
Well, I'm at a loss on overkilled steroid doses and effed up anatomy, as plain anatomy is hard enough. I haven't really done any shading or whatnot, but I did block out the arm..I know it's pretty large, but it's supposed to be this guy's most distinctive feature, having a chaingun and rocketpods built in and all..I tried to improve what anatomy I did have, but due to time constraints and such I'm going to rehash and backpedal to lineart, and try to draw this out some more before delving into forms.

Sokota

Also, look up 'Steroid Overkill' on Google Images. You'll see what I mean by hard to read anatomy..on..hopefully edited pictures  :blind:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:47:39 am by Sokota »