AuthorTopic: [WIP] Unnamed University Game  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Skelly

• View Profile

[WIP] Unnamed University Game

on: June 08, 2009, 06:51:32 pm

Current WIP

Early WIP

This fall I will be guest lecturing about game development for a software engineering course. This position requires me to create an example game over the summer for my students. I am primarily a software engineer, and a hobbyist pixel pusher.

Comments and Crits please!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:37:16 am by Skelly »

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Unnamed University Game

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:47:50 pm
The style is very reminiscent of Kenneth Fejer, good work. I'm not too fond of the main character's colors, though. The hair looks kind of washed out, and the lower area of hair is banded. I also feel the clouds could be more organic and not so patterned, but overall, good stuff. Sounds like it'll be a great game.

;D

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:00:44 pm
Hmm I'm not really digging the colors either, I think it's the blocks that are throwing me off, or the chocolate-swirly floating islands. Either way, for some reason it just feels like they're a little over the place.

And everything DeX said.

It's quite cutesy and nice, though.

Offline pgil

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:07:34 pm
This makes me want to take your class  :)

Personally, I like the colors. The only real problem I see is that the pink block lack contrast, while the dirt tiles are very bold. Since they are (i assume) part of the game that you interact with/walk on, you should probably make them stand out from the background a bit more.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:32:08 pm
Are those layers of tiling clouds in the bg? They bug me quite a bit; just odd in shape.

Blocks and island's colors aren't playing nice together. Island dirt pattern too high contrast.

Offline Skelly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:47:16 am
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Dex
I am definitely a big fan of Kenneth Fejer and Gunstar Red, so I draw a good deal of inspiration from them as I am not a solid enough spriter to establish my own style. Good call on the banding on the hair, I'll fix that. As for that clouds, I quickly threw them together so I could get started coding. Any suggestions are welcome.

Dr D
I'll admit that color choice is one of the things I struggle most with. I think I'll try addressing the contrast issues.

pgil
The class is quite interesting, but I am not the instructor. I am assisting my professor by lecturing once every other week, and helping students during my office hours.

Mathias
Good observation. The game will make use of parallax layers for the sky.

Quick edit.

Before I go to bed I have tried to address:
  • Constrast of the ground vs. the blocks.
  • Saturation of the player's hair. (Too much?)
  • Banding on the hair. Not sure if I have made things better or worse.  :'(
  • Reduced the amount of AA on the ground tiles.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:40:55 am by Skelly »