AuthorTopic: RPG bases D:  (Read 12892 times)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

RPG bases D:

on: June 08, 2009, 03:00:21 pm
I've been trying to make some RPG bases in a realistic style, but I can't seem to get them to look right. Instead, they look stiff and awkward. I tried to move the woman's right leg (our left) more to the center, but I think it'll take more than that to make her look balanced.

They're meant to be displayed against darker backgrounds, but I might tone down the AA against the outlines a bit.

Here's a mockup showing the perspective I'm going for. I plan to redraw Alden's robe, and I have trouble with shoes. Well, feet in general, and especially at this size. :'(

I've written more about the project at TIGSource.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: RPG bases D:

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:14:02 pm
amazing job man,
but WTH ! too gloomful colors </3
Be Like no other

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 04:41:53 pm
What kind of perspective is that in the center screen? I'm sorry, but I can't figure it out. The floors look birdseye, the door looks like a full-on side view, and the furniture comes off a bit strange since they have their own separate vanishing points. I LOVE the portrait art though, and the wood floor next to them is even more gorgeous.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:15:20 am
The poses look ok to me, except the left legs.

Edit:

I think that balanced it out. Changed the left calve and the foot position. The calve was too thick compared to the other one.

Those are some nice icons. Good detail on the window edges. I also like the wood but I think you got a little crazy with the purple / red.

Seems you have a way of slipping in bright contrasting colors everywhere. Its gutsy but in some places I don't think it works well. An example would be on the portraits. The lady's skin looks like a bronze and her hair looks like a bad quality wig.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:33:17 am
I touched up one of your portraits.  I didn't want to, but a muse grabbed me and would not let go.  One minute I'm sitting here thinking I might practice some dithering (on one of my pieces no less) and then bam!  four hours have gone by and I only break loose because I've skipped dinner and I urgently have to use the bathroom.  Ugh.  And I've touched up one of yours, using Paint, instead of one of mine, using Paint Shop Pro like I normally would.

Some minor anatomy tweaks.  I made the ear larger to fit better with the long face.  The eye area (brow, eyeball, cheek) was rather flat looking, so I enhanced up the depth differences.  This also meant minor tweaks to the profile on the shadowed side.

I didn't alter the hair or lips, and the eyebrow on our right still needs to be adjusted down a bit.  It's a tad distorted.

Oh rats, I just realized this was your avatar too.  Um, sorry about that.

Tourist
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:41:50 am by Tourist »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:45:47 pm
What your female figure seems to lack is hip and shoulder rotation. Putting the right leg more in the center kind of requires the hip to raise on the right as well, creating a curve through the spine leaving the shoulders in the opposite angle. Perhaps you know the term 'Contraposto' and that then describes much more to you than my previous explanation, make use of that.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:51:49 pm
Perspective is all over the place. The characters are front view except for the feet. The vanishing points in the furniture does not work at all. The cupboard is again front view. The floors look like top view. It's not making any sense.

Can you try to explain the perspective you're going for?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:49:49 pm
The poses look ok to me, except the left legs.

Edit:

I think that balanced it out. Changed the left calve and the foot position. The calve was too thick compared to the other one.

Those are some nice icons. Good detail on the window edges. I also like the wood but I think you got a little crazy with the purple / red.

Seems you have a way of slipping in bright contrasting colors everywhere. Its gutsy but in some places I don't think it works well. An example would be on the portraits. The lady's skin looks like a bronze and her hair looks like a bad quality wig.

Yeah, that looks better. I'm not sure I like using straight lines for the legs, but at this size I couldn't get curves to look very good, either. :(

I spent the first couple of months working on this with broken monitors, so the palette has been through a lot. Initially, I tried to mix the colors up a bit for variation, but it looked better on a low-contrast display.

amazing job man,
but WTH ! too gloomful colors </3

The background was originally a neutral gray, but the second monitor I used shifted everything towards blue. I liked the colder look, so I kept it. I thought it fit the world I was designing, since it's not supposed to be a happy place.

Some minor anatomy tweaks.  I made the ear larger to fit better with the long face.  The eye area (brow, eyeball, cheek) was rather flat looking, so I enhanced up the depth differences.  This also meant minor tweaks to the profile on the shadowed side.

I didn't alter the hair or lips, and the eyebrow on our right still needs to be adjusted down a bit.  It's a tad distorted.

I wanted to avoid the application of dithering to the skin, since I think the texture ends up being too grainy with this palette. Also, notice the banding effect you get by placing the brightest colors in two checkerboard patterns together. It'll look better if you put the darkest pixels in one pattern next to the brightest pixels in the other.

What your female figure seems to lack is hip and shoulder rotation. Putting the right leg more in the center kind of requires the hip to raise on the right as well, creating a curve through the spine leaving the shoulders in the opposite angle. Perhaps you know the term 'Contraposto' and that then describes much more to you than my previous explanation, make use of that.

Oh, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks, I'll give it a try. :)

Perspective is all over the place. The characters are front view except for the feet. The vanishing points in the furniture does not work at all. The cupboard is again front view. The floors look like top view. It's not making any sense.

Can you try to explain the perspective you're going for?

Maybe perspective wasn't the right word for it. :lol: I came up with a bunch of restrictions to make the project easier for me to finish. There would be grid-based movement, no animated sprites, only one sprite per tile, no separate tiles for doors or walls, etc. I guess a completely top-down perspective would have made more sense, but I was worried that it would make things less recognizable. I also thought a complete lack of perspective would have made it look flat, and I thought trying something new would be a fun experiment. It has grown on me, maybe because I've been working on it for so long, but I can see how the effect can be a bit jarring. It wouldn't be the first game to strangely mix perspectives, though, so I'm not sure what the difference is between what works and what doesn't.

I desaturated some of the colors a little, gave Winter a longer ear and more color, changed the eyes, jaw and nose. Still not happy with it, but she looks a bit more human now. I'll work on Alden's portrait later.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 02:18:54 am
Marvellous and strange skin tones there. Made me think of the Drow race from D&D.

Agreed regarding keeping dithering away from the skin - smoother looks best.

Given that the woman seems to be leaning slightly on 'our' left leg, I don't get why the knee on our right is slightly lower. Perhaps that's what is throwing it off, especially as the legs of the male have the knee perspective done better. Likewise with the foot on our right - the man has it retreated so he looks okay, while the woman doesn't.

AFAIK it is only the legs which are throwing off the poses.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 03:09:26 am
Marvellous and strange skin tones there. Made me think of the Drow race from D&D.

Agreed regarding keeping dithering away from the skin - smoother looks best.

Given that the woman seems to be leaning slightly on 'our' left leg, I don't get why the knee on our right is slightly lower. Perhaps that's what is throwing it off, especially as the legs of the male have the knee perspective done better. Likewise with the foot on our right - the man has it retreated so he looks okay, while the woman doesn't.

AFAIK it is only the legs which are throwing off the poses.

If you will notice her hips, her left hip is lower then her right hip. That means she cannot be leaning on her right leg. To me it looks "passable", at least with the edit I did. Not perfect, but passable.