AuthorTopic: Line-art fail D:  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Line-art fail D:

on: June 01, 2009, 01:34:19 pm
Sooooo~ I started some spriting again (after a long time)
and... failed  :yell:
But well I guess that's not too bad I just have to try and try and... yeah.
Here is some lineart for a platformer char:

I really need some help, especially with the stance (it's supposed to be a platformer sprite)
also I probably need to make it more feminine. (Yeah it's a girl :O)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:36:15 pm by Twirly »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: Line-art fail D:

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:52:23 pm
Yo Twirly

To begin with, try to make just a bit bigger sprites. It's hard to learn how to make it look detailed and not messy with such a small piece of art. I had a hard time figuring out
how to make it look good with so little space, but I started to make larger chars. and I made them smaller every time. I think a big misstake people do when doing small sprites
is that they use too much colours. It needs to be simple but still detailed.

I have a few old pictures of mine that could maby help you:

These are a bit larger sprites, not very hard to shade. You can use a bit more variety in colours on this one, it won't get messy that easy. However, Its important not to pillowshade anyway! (The picture is a bit political, I hope it won't be any troubble. Its one of the parties in my country wanting to get in to the European parliment)

Here is a small sprite from a pirate platformer I made a long time ago, here it's very important to have a big difference between your bright colours and your dark colours, to make a better contrast on a smaller space. If you start using a lot of colours, many highlights. It will end up looking very messy and actually less detailed from what you really want it to be.

This is of course a matter of style and taste, but it is a good way to learn.

Hope it can be of any help!
Good luck!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:56:40 pm by coffee »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:10 pm
Just adding two things - don't "trap" yourself in lineart. It's not always appropriate. I know all the tutorials tell you to start with lines, but that doesn't mean you have to. Lineart is most commonly useless when it comes to small sprites like this. Blob in color and play with forms and volumes without stupid lines getting the way.

Secondly, small sprites are difficult. You may think small size equals simpler and easier - wrong. Like coffee is saying, go bigger.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:38:09 am by Mathias »

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:23:54 pm
Thank you a lot for the input guys ;]
I'll see if I can start spriting again since I am very busy :[